-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get rid of those chickens. They're nothing but a distraction anyway.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Seafire
Is the wife, starting to get Alzheimer's Setting in?

I can see my wife doing something like that and her response will be " I didn't mean to"... and then expect everything to be just fine...
especially " I didn't mean to" making it all perfectly okay with me....and then when its not, tell me how mean I am to her....

Yep, the "I didn't mean to" just makes it worse. Better an honest, "I f*cked up."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is very easy to do.
Unless you make a very conscience effort to NEVER do it.

Never leave the kitchen when cooking,
Never walk away from running water.

I'll throw this out, even though we violate it.

You should not keep your cooking oils in the little cupboard above the stove.
If something like the OP's situation happens, and you add a bottle of burning oil
running down behind the stove, your chances of a decent ending go way down.

Not sure where the OP lives, but we only have volunteer firefighters here.
Our response times are nothing like in cities, you are pretty much on your own
to have a minor fire. If you get trucks on the scene in much under 1/2 hour you're lucky.
Our insurance considers distance to a Department and distance to a hydrant.
For most, a pond is the closest "hydrant".

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
My wife has left several pans to burn over the years, but never enough to catch the house ablaze. She's not allowed to use oils.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

30 years a fire fighter...you said that grease fires are common in that line of work....but you had to use a towel to help out...whos the dummy?....bob

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Losing the house ain't an easy thing to stare in the face, Glad you were on top of it.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have been dealing with this for years with my Ma and since I promised to look after her I am pretty much landlocked right now. I can't leave her alone for too long. She left the water running in the laundry sink last summer and flooded all my things in the basement and the ceiling collapsed. This has been happening for years! Very nerve racking! She still insists on driving everywhere, and it is only a matter of time before she causes an accident!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
No insult intended toward your wife but people do things that create risk all the time. Things that become routine are the greatest risk. They do these things while driving as well. One pet peeve for me is people changing lanes in traffic not using their turn signal. I saw a guy yesterday change lanes at least four or five times in pretty heavy traffic never use his signal. Bad habits get formed. I learned at age 19 not to walk away from anything cooking on the stovetop that has grease. I learned that same day water aint what you want to put out a grease fire.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
My part time job is fixing all the crap my wife breaks.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by troublesome82
I have been dealing with this for years with my Ma and since I promised to look after her I am pretty much landlocked right now. I can't leave her alone for too long. She left the water running in the laundry sink last summer and flooded all my things in the basement and the ceiling collapsed. This has been happening for years! Very nerve racking! She still insists on driving everywhere, and it is only a matter of time before she causes an accident!

had that problem with my mother, she was pissed for weeks with me taking her license away, no doubt I saved her life or someone elses

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A set of Ex In Laws did lose their house that way, left to run an errand came back the house was on fire. I ended up taking in their old mini-wiener dog that fortunately was an outside dog. It got minor burns from hiding under the house where it usually slept. Insurance paid it off.

One time my Ex fell asleep while she was cooking on the stove, our dog woke her up by barking when it began to smoke.

Ain’t gonna judge, way back in my single days I woke up to a puddle of melted aluminum on the stovetop.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Dang!

I’ve done some dumb stuff myself from time to time, even before I got old. I’ve developed some safeguards to minimize the risks, and the Current and I double-check stuff before we go to bed or leave the house. I cook a lot in the oven instead of on the stovetop, and we just got an air fryer, which times your cooking. Both things are mostly to make cleanup easier, but are also safer. What frying we do is mostly in a wok, which has high sides, and that method requires constant attention anyway.

Gotta face it, as you age, you’re gonna have lapses, and being a uni-tasker is safer.

Glad you managed to avoid the worst.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JeffA
Fire extinguishers are good to have near the kitchen, sitting here looking at mine.

Yes

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Gave SS17 chitt yesterday for leaving a grilled cheese cooking and going to the other room to play on computer. I’ve told him at least 3 times not to do this.

Rule from now on is if he’s not in the kitchen with it, he’s not allowed to cook. It’s 5 min to make a grilled cheese, FFS.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've gotten to where I cook bacon in the microwave. Comes out perfect every time and less risk of a fire. Mom had beans on the stove 30 years ago and did the same thing as your wife. Went outside to do some yard work and left the beans on the stove burned through the aluminum pan. Smoked the entire house. Ozone treatment and cleaning of the house got most of the smell out.

Good on you OP for putting it out when you did. If you'd gotten in the shower a few minutes later, you might be telling a different story.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Next we’ll discuss avoiding life-altering accidents, mostly falls…….😱

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
it reached the point with my mom that we could no longer allow her to drive or cook on the stove top. Microwave is OK, thus far. Age comes for us all.

Originally Posted by Jon_In_Va
My part time job is fixing all the crap my wife breaks.

You, too? We ought start up a union.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Use the microwave for bacon if you have Forgetful Jones working in the kitchen

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The reason we suffered such heavy losses at Pearl Harbor.

People taking craps and showering at 7am.

Glad for your sakes you were able to react so quickly and think clearly.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by slumlord
Use the microwave for bacon if you have Forgetful Jones working in the kitchen

Microwave bacon is underrated.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 2,342 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,537
Posts18,491,415
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.