Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Left the house at 5:00 AM yesterday, rolled 160 miles to a deer lease I was on in Newton county. I never saw a deer while hunting, jumped several. Some of the guys had decent bucks on cameras, but only one buck shot by 14 guys in two years. I retired, didn’t want the expense of two leases any more. Anytime I was there, I was wishing I was at the other seeing plenty deer.

My son in law and grandson met me. We took down the two stands, loaded them, dropped them off at the new owners place. He got a deal, two tower stands for a 1000 bucks. I had that much in material. There is no telling what a welding shop would charge to build a 15’ tower. I bet I’ve built 30 towers through the years for me and other guys. Material is expensive now!

I hate getting off a lease, loading up all the stuff, hauling it back. I’ve done it 5 times through the years.

Anyone else hate that also???

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This Pic was taken two years ago putting it up

Last edited by hanco; 04/10/22.
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Did the same a few weeks ago. Put them on a much more productive property. You have to know when to go and do it.

GreggH

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by GreggH
Did the same a few weeks ago. Put them on a much more productive property. You have to know when to go and do it.

GreggH

Know when to hold ‘em, know when to fold em.

I folded. Setting up on a new place ain’t so bad, good expectations.

Last edited by hanco; 04/10/22.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I’ve been on a quite a few over the years. Unfortunately most of the time with no where to haul my large hardwares between leases. This last time I decided to invest in good climbing stands and cheap ground blinds and great chairs so when this lease goes to heck I can load it up and take it with me. I have learned nothings forever.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Twice , new opportunities are welcome.

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Weirgate?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We don't lease around here. I do dislike moving tower stands, tho the last one I got cost me a case of 12 gauge shells. Was a while ago

Me

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I took the plunge last year and was able to buy my own hunting land. I got tired of "loosing" leased property and having to move everything off of it.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Jon_In_Va
Weirgate?

Yep, nice place, plenty pigs, not many deer. My son in law stayed on

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I’ve moved a few. Always had a nice enclosed tower stand for cold, rainy days. Last two jeeps I had rigged up like this. This picture was taken the day it was completed. Keep as much stuff as possible with wheels on it. I always tell folks not to bury their roots to deep. Nothing lasts forever on hunting properties. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hate the whole process. I decided that I am done with clubs. Sold about 10 stands to fellow members and could not have been happier. Didn't have to move a damn thing and didn't want any of it.

The asshat owner of the farm caught wind of me selling out and made the members who bought my stuff sell it back to him. I laughed all the way to the bank because I know he wouldn't have given me a tenth of what they were worth.

Been in hunting clubs for over 25 years. Mo more!

Decided to concentrate my efforts by hunting out West. Wish I would have started sooner.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
I had a lease in Coleman county for 25 years. I hauled that stuff out there a little at a time. I had that place to myself, had 7 tower stands, 7 tripods, 7 feeders, feeder pens to keep sheep away from feeders. It took five 20 trailer loads to bring it back. I sold some, still own a lot. That was the best place I ever hunted, 1000 acres for 3000.00 a year, quail, dove, big deer.

I miss that place!

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Have built over 50 deer stands over the years. Most any style or design you can imagine. Personally, after struggling from for years with up to 20’ towers I went a different route. I’m a slow learner. Tall ones are hell to install, or hunt out of in a strong wind, and pretty damn cold in a 15 degree Texas blue norther. I have a huge graveyard of stands, feeders and equipment. I f any of y’all just have the have one of those skyscrapers I’ll make you a helluva deal. I’ve got plenty.
Getting older, I’m not sure about smarter, I went a different route. Use a 4x8 sheet of plywood for a template. Four 8’ legs 1 1/2” square tubing. Everything in between 1” angle. I put the floor 40” up. Cover it with your preference of material. The stand fits perfect laying down in bed of pickup. One man can load it and set it up. Back it up in a tree and you’re hid. Damn nice on a cold day too. No point seeing further than you can shoot. I do hunt a lot of mesquite country. Better to see underneath anyway. To each his own. There is no wrong way. That’s why they can charge $5000 for a dee blind and then pay someone to set up.
When I started no one used feeders or stands. Don’t know how we made it.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I walked thru a 24 acre spot I had soul hunting rights for last 4 years last year he let another guy hunt it also walk through it today counted five stands should only been my one and the one from the other guy I think they're his buddy stands the other ones! He drives a big ford pickup, in the back I guess so he can see it from his stand, the deer move thru where he parks, I don't think he got anything, last season. Trail cams every where, I'd just st wave when I walked by them, also had bait where NO baiting is aloud. I thought about holding a sign up in front of the cam. I only hunted the place twice last year, did shoot a doe in the late doe season. So I might give that spot up, alot of folks around it before this other guy moved in by anyway.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
I like a stand up in the air.

Last edited by hanco; 04/11/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
hanco - sounds like you had a dream setup in Coleman County.

Looking at your pictures above, I’m surprised to see how open the terrain is. I’ve never had luck with any decent sized buck walking into open like like that during daytime hours. What’s the secret to your success to draw out the big bucks?

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
this is why my wife and i bought the 940+ acres backed up to a few thousand acres of NO PUBLIC ACCESS public land we hunt here in montana so we don't have to worry about moving equipment or owner selling out

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by AdventureBound
hanco - sounds like you had a dream setup in Coleman County.

Looking at your pictures above, I’m surprised to see how open the terrain is. I’ve never had luck with any decent sized buck walking into open like like that during daytime hours. What’s the secret to your success to draw out the big bucks?

They don’t come out in that opening much, sometimes step out of brush sometimes, see deer on lanes cut in brush more than feeders.

Last edited by hanco; 04/11/22.
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by hanco
Left the house at 5:00 AM yesterday, rolled 160 miles to a deer lease I was on in Newton county. I never saw a deer while hunting, jumped several. Some of the guys had decent bucks on cameras, but only one buck shot by 14 guys in two years. I retired, didn’t want the expense of two leases any more. Anytime I was there, I was wishing I was at the other seeing plenty deer.

My son in law and grandson met me. We took down the two stands, loaded them, dropped them off at the new owners place. He got a deal, two tower stands for a 1000 bucks. I had that much in material. There is no telling what a welding shop would charge to build a 15’ tower. I bet I’ve built 30 towers through the years for me and other guys. Material is expensive now!

I hate getting off a lease, loading up all the stuff, hauling it back. I’ve done it 5 times through the years.

Anyone else hate that also???

This Pic was taken two years ago putting it up

I hate it too but need to get it done, I left my lease this year too.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Never had a lease or a tower blind or feeder. The only stands I've ever used were chain on and climbers and they hadn't been out of the shed in over 20 years until last season when I put a couple out for crossbow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (arky65, afisher, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,463 guests, and 754 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,596
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.