Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Sir I never said you didn’t have a clue. You’re the one who asked for others to speculate about your approximate velocity so you could get a turret that would be about almost accurate depending on where you might be at.

To be honest though you’ve acted as if you don’t have a clue about how all this works.

What if some one told you the answer to your question was 3,123fps. You don’t have a place to check it past 200 yards you said. Are you going to dial to 555 and shot at deer?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Killzone
Thanks swifty but I was asking about 4350 not 4831. Appreciate the reply tho.

I’m generally not a pissy person but when somebody who knows nothing about me starts insinuating that I don’t “have a clue” it kinda rubs me the wrong way. 🤷‍♂️ Read his posts….

Dude book max for 4350 w/ 100 grs. is 40@ 2973.

Swifty
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
How does someone form opinions and make judgements about somebody they know nothing about? What part of my simple question did you not understand? I don’t remember asking for advice yet you seem determined to give it.

Go away!

Owning three 243's and a 243AI, all with 22" bbls;

Attempting to guess the velocity of somebody else's load based on powder charge and bullet is a fool's errand.

Not to mention differences in brands of brass, differences between lot number of brass, differences in lot numbers of powder, seating depth of bullet.

Assuming we would know the velocity of YOUR rifle, and your responses, suggests a rather naïve view how firearms, handloads, and factory ammo work.

Spend the money on a chronograph before spending money on any other long range stuff...........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have a load with Varget, would that help?

But I chrono at 900 ft above sea level, do you know how high you are ?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Originally Posted by mathman
This doesn't seem like a well thought out plan.

The country is full of them. What all do I need to buy to shoot deer out to 600 yards. They will be more than happy to cut a check for whatever they need to buy. They will not learn anything about the gun will not practice but will pay a lot of money. Yea this rubs me the wrong way because I run into it all the time. It’s normally from the same people who send their kid to a hitting coach pitching coach and personal trainer. They play league ball and travel ball. They have the kid practice ball 24/7 but just want to know what they need to buy to kill deer a long way off. Not everything hunting related can be accomplished with a check. Sometimes you have to actually do things. Then learn from mistakes and get better.

Wanna compare pictures Kaleb? You have no clue about who or what I am. Why vomit up your opinion?

Sandy vagina via Canada!

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
This doesn't seem like a well thought out plan.

The country is full of them. What all do I need to buy to shoot deer out to 600 yards. They will be more than happy to cut a check for whatever they need to buy. They will not learn anything about the gun will not practice but will pay a lot of money. Yea this rubs me the wrong way because I run into it all the time. It’s normally from the same people who send their kid to a hitting coach pitching coach and personal trainer. They play league ball and travel ball. They have the kid practice ball 24/7 but just want to know what they need to buy to kill deer a long way off. Not everything hunting related can be accomplished with a check. Sometimes you have to actually do things. Then learn from mistakes and get better.

Wanna compare pictures Kaleb? You have no clue about who or what I am. Why vomit up your opinion?

Pictures of what(our chronographs)? If you don’t know the velocity of your rounds don’t practice and depend on a Internet forum to give you the information to order a handy dandy turret then I know plenty about you. No offense intended just go shoot your gun.

I don't know why I'm feeding internet cowboys here. For the record, I'm 64 yrs old and basically done nothing but hunt/guide for about 50 of those years. I have shot many many many thousands of rounds out of dozens of rifles in many different calibers. You are not talking to somebody who just came home with a new gun from Cabelas. Your opinions and uninvited advice were not a part of my simple question.

I'm out.

Aww bet he would have voted for Biden and did vote for Trudeau. What a snowflake. Why chose a 243 for large deer at long range?

Dog I rescued in January

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I don't know why I'm feeding internet cowboys here. For the record, I'm 64 yrs old and basically done nothing but hunt/guide for about 50 of those years. I have shot many many many thousands of rounds out of dozens of rifles in many different calibers. You are not talking to somebody who just came home with a new gun from Cabelas.

If that was true you would have owned a chronograph a long time ago.....

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Then it should be clear to you why building a turret off of someone else's guess isn't a well thought out plan.

I do get that, thanks. My "plan" is to get some honest real life numbers from ppl who have them. Hopefully there will be a pattern to them and then I'll order the turret. Of course I will confirm the accuracy of the turret when I get a chance and if it doesnt jive I'll eat the cost and my life will go on.

End of story.

No amount of guessing beats knowing. Instead of eating the cost of the turret, put that money into a simple ProChrono and “know”.

https://www.amazon.ca/Competition-Electronics-ProChrono-Chronograph-White/dp/B07FTJYQ9Z

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with Jordan. A chronograph is one of the best tools a handloader can have, and for more than one reason. I consider it to be as essential as a press.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"No amount of guessing beats knowing. Instead of eating the cost of the turret, put that money into a simple ProChrono and “know”."

Agreed! A precisely calculated trajectory based on estimated MV is as precise as the estimate. If you owned a chrono, you would have learned that MVs vary a lot with different rifles even it they are the same make and model and barrel length.

I would guess your MV could be anywhere from 2900ish to over 3000. How much different would the calculated drop at 550 yards be from those two MVs?

Like it or not, your logic is faulty, as several have pointed out..

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by southtexas
"No amount of guessing beats knowing. Instead of eating the cost of the turret, put that money into a simple ProChrono and “know”."

Agreed! A precisely calculated trajectory based on estimated MV is as precise as the estimate. If you owned a chrono, you would have learned that MVs vary a lot with different rifles even it they are the same make and model and barrel length.

I would guess your MV could be anywhere from 2900ish to over 3000. How much different would the calculated drop at 550 yards be from those two MVs?

Like it or not, your logic is faulty, as several have pointed out..

I just can't bring myself to look at a 243 as a 550 yard big deer cartridge. So many better choices out there.

Dog I rescued in January

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There are several 6mm / .243 bullets with decent BCs for stretching things out. The OPs choice of 100 gr Partitions isn’t one of those.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Stammster
There are several 6mm / .243 bullets with decent BCs for stretching things out. The OPs choice of 100 gr Partitions isn’t one of those.

And I would guess those high BC bullets require a faster twist than your typical factory 243

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rickt300

I just can't bring myself to look at a 243 as a 550 yard big deer cartridge. So many better choices out there.

Sorry, but I can't resist....... smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY0w1c-gf18

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Have a look at: ballisticstudies.com - look under Knowledge Base and find .243 Winchester - great description of the round with performance on game.

Scroll down to the bottom of the info and there are trajectory tables.

Using the bullet weight in the tables and impacts at various distances might give you an idea how you load might perform.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by rickt300

Sorry, but I can't resist....... smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY0w1c-gf18

Cool video but still I want a bit more bullet weight. Just because it is done occasionally does not mean it is perfect for the job. Stunt shooting is not for everyone. Wonder how many she shot at that showed no reaction to the hit and wandered off wounded?

Last edited by rickt300; 04/11/22.

Dog I rescued in January

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 2500HD, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,791
Posts18,496,114
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.