Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by MT_Mike
It IS legal to ship from private to FFL, but not from FFL to private or private to private.

FFL can return directly to owner without a receiving FFL being involved. I could ship to you and you to me with no FFL involved as we're intrastate.

Whoops, I forgot about the intrastate exception.

HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Wow. I never expected a thread about "shipping cost updates" to turn into yet another thread debating how one can and cannot ship. I thought that had already been hammered to death and was pretty well cut and dried by now.

Anyway, as I just shipped my first rifle since the "new" updates, I will ad my own input as to what I sought with the original intent of this thread. As near as I can tell, via USPS, the only substantial new charge appears to be the $15 add on for a package over 30 inches in length. Insuring a rifle for $1000 and shipping retail ground was $57.85. Shipping the rifle with $1000 shipping and sending priority mail was $64.85. The weight was right around 7 pounds.

Maybe the next time I'll try to determine the new UPS costs just so I can answer my own thread. Hopefully someone else will chime in with a UPS shipment so I don't feel compelled to do the 20 mile round trip journey for such research.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Wow. I never expected a thread about "shipping cost updates" to turn into yet another thread debating how one can and cannot ship. I thought that had already been hammered to death and was pretty well cut and dried by now.

Anyway, as I just shipped my first rifle since the "new" updates, I will ad my own input as to what I sought with the original intent of this thread. As near as I can tell, via USPS, the only substantial new charge appears to be the $15 add on for a package over 30 inches in length. Insuring a rifle for $1000 and shipping retail ground was $57.85. Shipping the rifle with $1000 shipping and sending priority mail was $64.85. The weight was right around 7 pounds.

Maybe the next time I'll try to determine the new UPS costs just so I can answer my own thread. Hopefully someone else will chime in with a UPS shipment so I don't feel compelled to do the 20 mile round trip journey for such research.

Apparently not as there was lots of wrong info being posted.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jon_In_Va
Apparently not as there was lots of wrong info being posted.

True. Status quo don't ya think? It never ceases to amaze me how adamant some people who are wrong can be. It reminds me of Democrat politics.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yes, USPS is now adding $4 for a package over 22" or 1 cubic foot and $15 if over 30" or 2 cubic feet. UPS has followed with a similar surcharge. Not a big deal on a $500-1000 gun; but will have a huge impact for online sellers of smaller ticket items like fishing rods(even 2 piece fly rods), golf clubs, posters, etc., etc. I have some nice OEM gun boxes and vintage fly rods I need to sell and shipping is now $25 instead of $10.
USPS has basically said they don't want that business; now the other services can follow suit on pricing

Last edited by Cruiser1; 04/18/22.
IC B2

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I just noticed that $4 charge today when I shipped a rifle stock.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ElkSnort
I just noticed that $4 charge today when I shipped a rifle stock.

I think they should change their name to the United Small Package Service

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
2 weeks ago, I shipped a shotgun from MT to SC by UPS. Package weighed 12 lbs. Insured for $500. Charge was $68.41.
Like I posted before, USPS wouldn't give me a price because they said I could not ship it myself to an FFL.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, since I originally posted this, I've shipped a couple of rifles to a couple of different states. It appears as though the increase costs are not cumulative using this information: "Longer than 22" $4.00, Longer than 30" $15 and Bigger than 2 cubic feet $15". They, apparently, just assess the highest one applicable. My shipping costs, post price increase, appear to be the additional $15.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

135 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, 11 invisible), 1,503 guests, and 813 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,603
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.