Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Valsdad

And I do believe anyone of a mind to could build their own rifle, out of parts they got from wherever or made themselves.

Sheesh.

Easy to make a shotgun from hardware store parts. Not expensive, either.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Morewood
I prefer the carronade loaded with grapeshot.

"And with a wisp of grapeshot, thus ended the French Revolution"

Thomas Carlyle

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Thomas Carlyle

Grape shot/cannister is nasty. The original street sweeper.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by luvrifles

Thomas Carlyle

Originally Posted by luvrifles

Thomas Carlyle

That should, on occasion, still be used.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
My Carlyle quote was his famous quote from 13 vendémiaire. History of the French Revolution. An unknown revolutionary General named Bonaparte along with a cavalry officer named Murat put down the royalist in The streets of Paris with beaucoup cannister. Oct. 5, 1795 or on the new French calendar 13 vendémiaire.

(Russians did the same thing during the Decemberist revolt in 1825).

Last edited by kaywoodie; 04/11/22.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Exactly! The intent of The 2nd Amendment was to protect the people from a tyrannical government. To do that, the intent was to allow the people to have weapons equal to that of the tyrant! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Another subject slo joe knows NOTHING about.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

And I do believe anyone of a mind to could build their own rifle, out of parts they got from wherever or made themselves.

Sheesh.

There was a guy in England that made some full autos out of hardware store parts. His name escapes me right now. Wrote a book about it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have only 3 cannons now should I be worried the waffen gov't is coming

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like those big azz civil war mortars on the railroad cars. Need one in my front yard.

GOA
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by dassa

Sheesh.

There was a guy in England that made some full autos out of hardware store parts. His name escapes me right now. Wrote a book about it.

Machine guns are simply made by someone knowing how they work. They can't regulate knowledge. Stens were made in basement shops in Israeli in the early fifties

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M

Last edited by Moto_Vita; 04/11/22.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Fact Checker Analysis Biden’s false claim that the 2nd Amendment bans cannon ownership

June 28, 2021 at 3:00 a.m. EDT

“And I might add: The Second Amendment, from the day it was passed, limited the type of people who could own a gun and what type of weapon you could own. You couldn’t buy a cannon.”

— President Biden, remarks on gun violence, June 23

The president offered this aside as he made a litany of his regular points about the need for background checks and what he says was the effectiveness of bans on assault weapons and large-capacity magazines that expired.

Parenthetical asides from a prepared text often trip up presidents, especially Biden. In this case, he repeated a claim — that Americans were prohibited from owning cannons — that has already been fact-checked as false when he made it during the presidential campaign.
The Facts

The cannon element is what mostly interests us here, but we should also address Biden’s framing about the Second Amendment, which was part of the Bill of Rights adopted in 1791.

The meaning of the Second Amendment — “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed” — has long been debated. But experts said Biden especially mischaracterized it.

“Everything in that statement is wrong,” said David Kopel, the research director and Second Amendment project director at the Independence Institute. After 1791, “there were no federal laws about the type of gun you could own, and no states limited the kind of gun you could own.” Not until the early 1800s were there any efforts to pass restrictions on carrying concealed weapons, he said.

“I think what he’s saying here is that the Second Amendment was never understood to guarantee everyone the right to own all types of weapons, which I believe is true,” said Kermit Roosevelt, a constitutional law professor at the University of Pennsylvania. “As phrased, it sounds like the Second Amendment itself limited ownership, which is not true.”

Kopel noted that some states placed gun-ownership restrictions on Native American tribes, including orders to disarm them, but the tribes under the Constitution at the time were treated as the equivalent of foreign nations.

Interestingly, during the campaign, Biden had asserted that the cannon restrictions happened during the Revolutionary War. “From the very beginning you weren’t allowed to have certain weapons,” Biden told Wired magazine in May 2020. “You weren’t allowed to own a cannon during the Revolutionary War as an individual.”

Historians at the time told PolitiFact there was no evidence this was the case. The Biden campaign could not point to any laws but seemed to suggest Biden’s point was more metaphorical than grounded in reality.

Now Biden has moved the cannon metaphor to some 20 years after the Revolutionary War — and it’s still wrong.

In fact, you do not have to look far in the Constitution to see that private individuals could own cannons. Article 1, Section 8, Clause 11 gives Congress the power to declare war. But there is another element of that clause that might seem strange to modern ears — Congress also had the power to “grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal.”

What’s that? These were special waivers that allowed private individuals to act as pirates on behalf of the United States against countries engaged in war with it. The “letter of marque” allowed a warship to cross into another country’s territory to take a ship, while a “letter of reprisal” gave authorization to bring the ship back to the home port of the capturer.

Individuals who were given these waivers and owned warships obviously also obtained cannons for use in battle.

The White House did not provide an explanation of Biden’s comment.
The Pinocchio Test

Some readers might think this is a relatively inconsequential flub. But we disagree. Every U.S. president has a responsibility to get American history correct, especially when he’s using a supposed history lesson in service of a political objective. The president’s push for more gun restrictions is an important part of his political platform, so he undercuts his cause when he cites faux facts.

Moreover, Biden has already been fact-checked on this claim — and it’s been deemed false. We have no idea where he conjured up this notion about a ban on cannon ownership in the early days of the Republic, but he needs to stop making this claim.

Four Pinocchios

[Linked Image from washingtonpost.com]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Think I will say [bleep] Joe biden

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
AKA Spook: Oh he is a liar alright and a professional at that - but he is also magnificently stupid!
I think stupidity is only slightly more harmful and dangerous to the American citizenry than his habitual and instinctive dishonesty and non-stop lying.
He would be laughable where his shortcomings, greed, pedophilia, stupidity, contrariness and bullheadedness not so serious.
Sad.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
So we all know Biden is a senile old fool. The question is did his speech writers write that stuff, or was he off script?

Stophel Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The average idiot in America doesn't know any better either. Just start talking about cannons and other scary guns, and they'll eat that fear up.

Modern man seems to love being afraid. Terrified of everything. Eager to be "protected". Eager to be led. Eager to be taken care of.

He who sacrifices Liberty for security deserves neither Liberty, nor security. Frankly, I don't think they even deserve life.

And by the way, as long as the political "right" keeps on trying to stop gun control by talking about how it won't stop crime, or how we need to enforce the laws we already have (no, we don't), we will continue to lose... hell, we've already lost. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is not dependent on crime statistics. It doesn't matter one whit if it affects the crime rate or not. Statistics on crime or using a gun to defend yourself or whatever is totally irrelevant. It's a RIGHT. It's about FIGHTING TYRANNICAL GOVERNMENT. Period. THIS is the issue. THIS is the reason.... but people are afraid to say that... it's so extreme! It's so anti-government! It's conspiracy theory wackiness! If your only argument against gun control is "crime", then you've already lost. You've given up and surrendered the field. You're letting your enemy dictate everything, even the words you say. I think this applies in virtually every aspect of life today. We have let the enemy take COMPLETE control over the way we speak and the way we think.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stophel
According to Sleepy Joe, people couldn't buy a cannon when the 2nd Amendment was passed.....

Um... yeah, they could. And did.

Sheesh.

Valsdad;
Good evening Geno, I trust that despite the continuing mayhem that seems to be unfolding with greater velocity and severity daily that you and yours are well as can be.

It's interesting to me how quickly folks seem to forget history is it not? Their own or anyone else's for that matter.

Up here in the early days it was standard procedure to have one's personal cannon in any well represented establishment. It seems to me after considerable research that cannons were sort of like an industrial fire extinguisher - to be brought out in cases of emergency.

This went on for quite a good long while out west too by the way.

There was an Irish American chap named John Healy who is listed in his wiki bio as an "entrepreneur" which is quite a civilized term all things considered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Healy_(entrepreneur)

He founded a small outpost just outside present Lethbridge, AB which he called Fort Hamilton but was known colloquially as Fort Whoop-Up. He had a cannon installed there - inside the main saloon/trading post which was loaded at all times with grape/buckshot/horseshoe nails and let all the patrons of the establishment know he wasn't afraid to use it either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Whoop-Up

Oh - in non-wiki terms he was colloquially known as a whisky trader who did business mostly selling a poisonous mix of alcohol, red dye, tobacco juice and other healthy ingredients to local First Nations folks.

When the North West Mounted Police came out, they put a damper on business and he went back to Montana where he went into LEO work on his own, obviously seeing some benefits in switching sides as it were.

Anyways, up until lately with Crown Prince Shiny Pony's latest draconian maneuvers we still were able to have black powder cannons and I might even know where some were, but since they're all possibly unlawful to possess anymore, I no longer know of their whereabouts whatsoever and all that.

Sorry about taking the thread into the weeds somewhat, but as has been mentioned, cannons were not only legal they were standard issue on private ships and forts throughout North America.

All the best to you all Geno and God bless.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 04/11/22.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dassa

Sheesh.

Lutey. Wrote a book explaining it all.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Think I am done with their interpretation

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 70 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,976
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.