Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
32 lbs in 4 weeks

Hell Im skeert to eat anything because of the damn potassium. Wicked chit.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Eggs are $2. dozen at the closest neighbor. Free range eggs are a completely different taste than store bought as mentioned here repeatedly. I just can't stand store bought after eating free range eggs for twenty years.

It is tough to keep chickens alive here with all the predators around. I have watched coordinated attacks by fox in mid-day at the neighbor's farm, really something to see the smarts of these fox.

We have thought about raising our own, but it is just not worth the effort at $2 a doz. I don't know what all our dogs would do with chickens running around. The dogs get a wild turkey once in a while so probably would not be good.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I don't eat eggs but my wife eats the hell out of them. She buys from a lady that lives off of her golf course, $2/doz. She's heading out on Thursday.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve raised chickens 2 times in 20 years.

Usually we had so many eggs we couldnt eat or give enough away. Mrs slumlord bitches about 20+ dozen eggs in the fridge and chickens crapping on the sidewalk scratching out potting soil in our patio plants.

Try give away those nice big country eggs. People at church and work be like “Ewwwwwewwwwwwww, the eggs...they’re brown...why are they brown....ewwwwwww, never mind I’ll pass”
crazy crazy mad

Had to send em down the road.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We get $4.00/doz for our eggs.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by slumlord

Usually we had so many eggs we couldnt eat or give enough away. Mrs slumlord bitches about 20+ dozen eggs in the fridge and chickens crapping on the sidewalk scratching out potting soil in our patio plants.

You got too many.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Redneck
.......are now OVER $4/dozen.... eek

Around here, the culprit has been the 'bird flu' affecting large turkey and chicken operations in MN and WI... What are they in your areas??

Prices here haven't changed.

USDA put out a press release yesterday (?) about that avian flu outbreak. Seem like it's really virulent. It has shown up in a few wild populations in the upper Midwest, too.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like seeing those tan eggs. We had Rhode Island Reds and Plymouth Rock years ago.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I love eggs. I love farm fresh eggs. Fresh eggs make better cakes. They make much better omelets. When Boiled, they do not peel smoothly, like the computer eggs in Wal Mart. Overall, I much prefer farm fresh eggs.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The USDA calls it “depopulating”, but it’s just little napoleons running around getting off on telling farmers they have to kill all the animals. I’d rather deal with the USEPA than the USDA..... They are miserable, incompetent, nasty people.

Maybe one day I’ll tell y’all how I really feel....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I eat 6 eggs when I eat breakfast, generally only two days a week. Love them scrambled, omelettes, hard fried, pickled, just about any way you can think of. But I’ll be danged if I can taste one bit of difference between store eggs and “farm” eggs.

Oh and ours have went up $1 per dozen in the last month.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Out of stock about 3 times out of 4.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With backyard chicken ranching being the rage in these parts, there are more eggs to give away than people to eat them.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
People at my wife’s work are paying her $5+ per dozen before the craziness but now they’ll still pay the same. 😁. She doesn’t want to take the money from most of them so she gives them away often. Last week she said one guy left a $50 bill and told her just bring him a dozen until he owes more.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

You got too many.

Yup,

Turn a few into chicken dinners.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by TheKid
I eat 6 eggs when I eat breakfast, generally only two days a week. Love them scrambled, omelettes, hard fried, pickled, just about any way you can think of. But I’ll be danged if I can taste one bit of difference between store eggs and “farm” eggs.

Huge difference. Not even close. The difference is in the diet and lifestyle of the hens. A wild diet (bugs, grubs, wild greens, wild berries and seeds, etc.) produces delicious eggs. You can even tell by looking at them cracked into a bowl. Store bought have pitiful pale yellow yolks, while real free range (not store bought "free range") eggs have deeply rich, vibrant yellow, yolks, almost a little orange in tone.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

You got too many.

Yup,

Turn a few into chicken dinners.

We had about 9 or 10

But I agree

Probably ideal (for us) would be 2 hens

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There is a farm where we used to get country smoked pork sausage.
Pull into the man’s gates and I swear there was no less than 200-300 chickens running buck wild all different directions.

Nothing seemed organized either. Bizarre breeds, feral, banties, leghorns, cross breeds, hens that looked gang-banged, 1/3 of roosters ready to whoop your ass when ya got out of the truck.

Sheesh

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
There is a farm where we used to get country smoked pork sausage.
Pull into the man’s gates and I swear there was no less than 200-300 chickens running buck wild all different directions.

Nothing seemed organized either. Bizarre breeds, feral, banties, leghorns, cross breeds, hens that looked gang-banged, 1/3 of roosters ready to whoop your ass when ya got out of the truck.

Sheesh

He had to recycle that hog shìt somehow.

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TheKid

Huge difference. Not even close. The difference is in the diet and lifestyle of the hens. A wild diet (bugs, grubs, wild greens, wild berries and seeds, etc.) produces delicious eggs. You can even tell by looking at them cracked into a bowl. Store bought have pitiful pale yellow yolks, while real free range (not store bought "free range") eggs have deeply rich, vibrant yellow, yolks, almost a little orange in tone.

Yeah I get it. The yolks are orange when they eat grasshoppers and junebugs. But to me they taste like eggs. I can tell a bigger difference in taste between cooking them in bacon grease or Snowcap lard than from “farm” raised or not.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

240 members (160user, 12344mag, 338rcm, 06hunter59, 270cowboy, 1lesfox, 27 invisible), 1,152 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,847
Posts18,517,442
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.