Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
MWN Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
(Hope this is the right forum to post this on)

Once again I find myself in need of adult supervision.

I now have a very good place to hunt deer/hogs and have had two successful trips. After trying green lights around the feeders and better+ scopes and binos I think I'm in need of some kind of 'night vision'

I really don't want to spend 5K for something I'll use a couple nights a year. I like 'simple' and don't need a complicated-to-program affair. It will probably go atop a dedicated 'hog whacking' rifle. Most of my shooting will be 100-250 yars.

ATN? FLIR? PULSAR? What am I going to be ~happy with 3 or 4 years from now?.

Last edited by MWN; 04/12/22.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw an ATN setup. The guy set the rifle on a tripod and pointed it at the feeder and then streamed the video to his iPad. Image was more than expectable out to feeder range and beyond. He did say to get the lower power model for the wider field of view and a very powerful illuminator. If we hunted over feeders this would be my choice.

On the same trip I handled the higher end thermal units and was amazed at the clarity and the range. If I was hunting fields and walking up on game I would want one of those. But then you'll want a hand held device in addition to the one on your rifle. So that doubles your expenditure.

They all had complex user interfaces and even the owners struggled with running them.

Last edited by Boise; 04/12/22.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Boise
I saw an ATN setup. The guy set the rifle on a tripod and pointed it at the feeder and then streamed the video to his iPad. Image was more than expectable out to feeder range and beyond. He did say to get the lower power model for the wider field of view and a very powerful illuminator. If we hunted over feeders this would be my choice.

On the same trip I handled the higher end thermal units and was amazed at the clarity and the range. If I was hunting fields and walking up on game I would want one of those. But then you'll want a hand held device in addition to the one on your rifle. So that doubles your expenditure.

They all had complex user interfaces and even the owners struggled with running them.

100%

I have three thermal scopes, the Flir PST 233, the Bering Super Hogster and recently, the Bering SuperYoter. I have had two different versions of the ATN Night Vision Scopes The one I am using now is the ATN 4K Pro 5-20 with an upgraded illuminator (NightSnipeNS 750 IR Extreme, supposed to be good to 1K yds.) I also have the Sighmark Wraith 4K Mini.

Conseqently I cannot comment on other brands. If I were to purchase the ATN 4K pro again, I would get the 3-14 rather than the 5-20 as the farthest I've killed with this is 163 paces. The 3-14 would give a wider field of view at the 60-120 yd. shots I usually make. One can get the ATN 4K Pro, the upgraded illuminator, extra batteries and external charger for the optic for under $1k.

Of the optics mentioned above, only the ATN 4K pro and the Super Yoter feature the dual streaming to a phone or tablet. It sure is nice to set up your rifle on a tri-pod, point it at a POI and not have to keep your eye glued tot that bright illuminated eyepiece.

I have been using the Super Yoter as a scanner and it is an amazing piece of technology.

As to difficulty, the more you use them the easier to manipulate the optic becomes. To me the hardest part is placing my fat fingers on the correct buttons in almost total darkness. Going to start using a headlight with a red lens.

You ask how long you will be happy with the unit you purchase. That is hard to say. I've been using the 4k pro for close to 3 years now (IIRC). I am completely satisfied and I use it at least once a month. Just got two hoglets a week ago tonight. Used the Super Yoter as a scanner. I had my tablet laying on top of my cooler. I leaned down to move the tablet so I could get a beverage and saw a sounder come running in. I figured to heck with the beverage and turned and went to the scope. There were two good sows and a dozen or so shoats at the cistern I was watching. Nailed the biggest sow. I'm using a bolt gun so I cycled the bolt and found a shoat that was confused and stopped. I nailed that one also.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It was 101 degrees F at 3 pm last Tuesday.

Nice thing about night hunting is it is a skosh cooler and opens up a whole 'nuther avenue for enjoyment/entertainment.

Luvin' it.

Here is a bit more detail...........

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...rmal-or-night-vision-scopes#Post17103709

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 04/12/22.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've used my buddy's Super Yoter a few times now, and it's an amazing piece of equipment, as GW says.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I've used my buddy's Super Yoter a few times now, and it's an amazing piece of equipment, as GW says.

I just had J. SIpp Custom Guns build me a 16.5" R93, 10 twist barrel with brake & rail, in 308 Win. I've taken the plunge and have purchased a Nomad-30 and a AB Raptor, both in 30 Cal. I will fit the barrel ( and a can when it comes in) on an offroad stock and that will be my dedicated thermal Porker Perforator.

The barrel should be here later this week. Hopefully will get to try it out in a couple weeks.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 04/12/22.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
GW, I was able to get my Super Hogster to stream to my iPad by downloading the Bering hogster app. Then I go into the menu on thescope and toggle Wi-Fi on, then on my iPad go to Wi-Fi and click on Hogster.

To the OP, I know you mentioned you would use it sporadically, but if it is in the budget, thermal sure does make things pop out.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by IDMilton
GW, I was able to get my Super Hogster to stream to my iPad by downloading the Bering hogster app. Then I go into the menu on thescope and toggle Wi-Fi on, then on my iPad go to Wi-Fi and click on Hogster.

To the OP, I know you mentioned you would use it sporadically, but if it is in the budget, thermal sure does make things pop out.

I will have to give that a try.

Thanks for the tip!

Best,

GWB

MWN Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ordered a ATN 3-14 with a Super Nova illuminator. Also got an ATN thermal monocular for spotting purposes. For the ~7 nights a year I use it will hopefully suffice.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I bought an ATN 4 Pro. Mounted it. Spent 20 minutes on my rifle and I removed it. Sent it back the very day

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I bought an ATN 4 Pro. Mounted it. Spent 20 minutes on my rifle and I removed it. Sent it back the very day

ATN made some pretty bad products, and wouldn't back them either. Many people got burned by them. That's why ATN doesn't have a stellar reputation as a company now. Many remember.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I run a pulsar xp38 I picked up several years ago.
Was pricey then, but I also night call in 3 states and wanted a good thermal for what I do.
Forget ATN for reasons above.
2 pals had them, both returned within a week.

Both pals bought the bearing optics super hogsters, great scopes, both can pick out and drop coyotes at 300 yards with ease.
Several new thermals out this year as well

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For something dependable and not crazy expensive look at the Sightmark Wraith

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
MWN Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
As I mentioned, got the ATN set-up with the 'Supernova' illuminator. My experience with the customer service so far (had some questions) has been good.

I am NOT impressed with the mounting arrangement they sent me for the illuminator...it seams to wobble a lot. Was wondering what options there are; would a Burris ring with the posi-align work? Local AR-15 shop suggested mounting it to the front of the rifle via M-Loks would be better (?).

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I bought a thermion 2 xp50…. One word. WOW.

The image quality is amazing. I’ve looked through some other brands and was not impressed. I called several guys who deal with these systems and more than a few of them said they had thermion 2’s on their personal rifles. Yes it was pricey. But I’ve shot several critters and feel confident to 350 yards or more. Farthest kill so far was a coyote in my pasture. I went out the next day and he was 327 yards (lasered) from my back door. I don’t have hogs near me but I’m sure I could kill them at greater distance. Good luck with your new optic! Thermal gets addictive!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 007FJ, 63 invisible), 1,766 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,122
Posts18,522,927
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.