Print Thread
Hop To
J
jaytee Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
So here's the deal. I loaded up some 60 grain Sierra HP's (#1375) the other day with 33 grains of IMR 4064 and got really good results, shooting a 6 shot group of a little over a half inch out of my Ruger M77 with a sporter barrel and a 14 twist. So I decided to try the 60 grain Nosler Partitions with the same load with the exception of the case. I changed from Norma to Hornady but retained the same case length and the same cartridge OAL which put the bullets at 10 thousandths off the lands. The Nosler's shot terrible, 5 shots in a shotgun pattern of about 3 or so inches. The length of the bullets were close, with the Noslers actually being 2 thousandths shorter then the Sierra's. I was really hoping the Partitions would shoot better. Any ideas as to why such a discrepancy in performance? Could it be the weight distribution of the Partition as compared to the Sierra HP? There was no keyholing with the Partitions, just a wide group.

Last edited by jaytee; 04/11/22.
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The load you are using sounds on the light side. I got best accuracy in a 22/250 at a max load of IMR 4350.

If you are shooting the partitions, I assume that it is a deer or hog killing affair? If so, then consider 1" more than adequate.

I killed a slug of deer in an apple orchard with a 22/250 rem 700 with a 14 twist, which was a devastating load for deer! The 63g Sierra is a great bullet in the 14" twist swift, again I used IMR 4350 with a velocity around 3500.

I am not sure if the 60g Hornady sp will stabalize in the 14T, the 60g Berger sure will NOT!

If you can find any, the 55g Speer Gold dot is a bonded core bullet, and should perform very well on deer and hogs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nosler partitions requires 12 twist, Sierras are for 14 twist. Plus even at 3500 you are on the jagged edge of stability.

https://www.nosler.com/22-cal-60gr-partition-50ct.html

Swifty
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Want to upgrade from the 60 grainers, that will still shoot very accurately in the 220 Swift?

Consider the good old , been around for ever, Speer 70 grain SMP?

if you are going after deer, it should drill right thru them...

certain will out of a 1 in 14 twist, 22.250...so the Swift is just a little more of a good thing...

4064 gives 3350 fps, MV with that bullet...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
jaytee Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Seafire
Want to upgrade from the 60 grainers, that will still shoot very accurately in the 220 Swift?

certain will out of a 1 in 14 twist, 22.250...so the Swift is just a little more of a good thing...

Do you have charge weight to recommend as a starting point with that 4064? I'll have to track down some of the Speer 70 grainers as I dont have any.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jaytee

Do you have charge weight to recommend as a starting point with that 4064? I'll have to track down some of the Speer 70 grainers as I dont have any.

From Speer 70 grain 220 Swift IMR4064 29 start 33 max

Swifty
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve never had any luck with 60 partition in a couple of different 14” twist 22-250’s even at max velocity. I have shot 55 and 60 gr hornady bullets and gotten very good accuracy with both bullets out of those same rifles. Both have killed deer very well.

If you want to keep trying the partition I’d suggest trying too end loads and play with the seating depth. Good luck.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
So here's the deal. I loaded up some 60 grain Sierra HP's (#1375) the other day with 33 grains of IMR 4064 and got really good results, shooting a 6 shot group of a little over a half inch out of my Ruger M77 with a sporter barrel and a 14 twist. So I decided to try the 60 grain Nosler Partitions with the same load with the exception of the case. I changed from Norma to Hornady but retained the same case length and the same cartridge OAL which put the bullets at 10 thousandths off the lands. The Nosler's shot terrible, 5 shots in a shotgun pattern of about 3 or so inches. The length of the bullets were close, with the Noslers actually being 2 thousandths shorter then the Sierra's. I was really hoping the Partitions would shoot better. Any ideas as to why such a discrepancy in performance? Could it be the weight distribution of the Partition as compared to the Sierra HP? There was no keyholing with the Partitions, just a wide group.

Couple problems I see is Nosler doesn't currently list that powder for that bullet. Not saying it won't work, just something to be concerned about. Nosler is good about giving out info on load data. Its online, so everyone has access to it. That's the first place I'd start if I didn't have their load manuals. The next issue is your seating depth. Run that partition .020" off the lands. I've never had a partition that didn't like that seating depth. That is assuming you know how to find your lands accurately. Also, the length of the bullet is not a good reference when choosing proper OAL. The ogive is different between most manufactures. Again, learn how to find the lands and set your OAL accordingly. If it were me, I'd look at using good ol IMR4350 and start somewhere in the middle and work up from there. The thing I can't stress enough is don't use other bullet manufacture's data for a random bullet you are trying. There are many things to consider there like bearing surface and pressure differences. I see some new loaders trying to take the easy road and that's going to get you hurt. Don't cut corners and try to do chidt half azzed when it comes to hand loading. Its going to bite you in the azz eventually...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
jaytee Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Couple problems I see is Nosler doesn't currently list that powder for that bullet. Not saying it won't work, just something to be concerned about. Nosler is good about giving out info on load data. Its online, so everyone has access to it. That's the first place I'd start if I didn't have their load manuals. The next issue is your seating depth. Run that partition .020" off the lands. I've never had a partition that didn't like that seating depth. That is assuming you know how to find your lands accurately. Also, the length of the bullet is not a good reference when choosing proper OAL. The ogive is different between most manufactures. Again, learn how to find the lands and set your OAL accordingly. If it were me, I'd look at using good ol IMR4350 and start somewhere in the middle and work up from there. The thing I can't stress enough is don't use other bullet manufacture's data for a random bullet you are trying. There are many things to consider there like bearing surface and pressure differences. I see some new loaders trying to take the easy road and that's going to get you hurt. Don't cut corners and try to do chidt half azzed when it comes to hand loading. Its going to bite you in the azz eventually...

Thanks for the info. I use the Hornady modified case OAL gauge to find the lands and I understand that some people like them some don't but that's what I have.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The 60 partition is hit or miss in a 1 in 14 twist

The 63 sierra smp is 14 twist friendly and a deer killing SOB. The 70 grain speer should also work

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
55’s we’re all could get to do well in the Remington Swift I had. I should have kept it, rebarreled to 1in8. I have a 1 in 8 22-250, does great with 60 partition, 62 Bear Claws and 62 Barnes. They rip pigs a new ass.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The 60-grain Partition was designed the standard 1-12 twist of the .223 Remington, back when more hunters started shooting deer with .223s.

Have never had it shoot consistently well in either the .220 Swift or .22-50 with a 1-14 twist. Have had it shoot very well in faster twists in smaller cartridges with twists of 1-12, including a T/C Contender carbine barrel, which for some reason had a 1-12 twist. Have gotten very good accuracy with 1-8 and 1-9 twists in various other .224 centerfires.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I've used 33.5 grains of 4064 for a long time.... No I lied... I actually cut that down 2/10s of a grain... to 33.3 grains... easier to remember...

how professional is that? LoL... smile

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

320 members (204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 41 invisible), 2,528 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,239
Posts18,485,851
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.