Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
battue,

You're welcome.

Yeah, I rarely go that far anymore, due to age--though had cataract surgery on both eyes last year, and still see the front sight pretty well, especially with "progessive reading glasses. Have an 1893 Marlin .32-40 that I want to kill a deer with, and thanks to a Skinner Sights aperture should be able to.

Before going to Botswana worked up a load with the 220 Hornady flat-nose at .38-55 velocities in my .375 H&H, which shot to the same POI as as full-house 300-grain loads. Shot some prairie dogs out the around 150 with it, which increased my confidence considerably.

Generally try to get in some iron-sight "hunting" every year, even if just for prairie dogs, to keep my confidence up--and figure out my limitations.

Earlier in the thread I mentioned the Skinner....Bought two, one for the Model 70 and one for a Marlin 336. Looks like there is a lot of quality in a small package.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, Skinner understands non-optical sights. Mine dropped right into the factory-drilled holes, on a rifle made in the 1890s--and works very well with the factory front sight.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The deer that stands in an open field, 25 minutes post sunset, was somewhere nearby 2 hours before that. Is it better to improve your equipment to up your odds against him, or to change your tactics and timing?

I like straight shooting rifles with clear optics, and I like having the opportunity to take game with them. And, within reason, I'd search out and pay for better equipment to do so.
But I'd hang up my boots before I'd get wrapped around the axle concerning just which optic will give me an extra minute of shooting time. Or before I felt cheated because the deer won.

If I traveled across continents and paid a year of a working mans wages to hold a shot back due to failing light, I'd call myself blessed to stand in that place and time.

And for whitetail deer mark me down for the M8 or FXII Leupold 4X. I'll have my deer and be home before anyone there starts turning the lights on...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Have mentioned this before, here and there, but have used fixed 6x scopes to kill running whitetails at 25 yards, and "still" whitetails at 350+.

But apparently there's a PERFECT magnification for every possible range these days--which to me seems as elusive as a PERFECT bullet/cartridge, etc. for every range and animal.

However, what the hell, the Campfire wouldn't be what it is if hunters didn't strive for perfection.....

My preferred whitetail scope is a 6x42. I won't call it perfect but I do prefer it to everything else I've used.

Enjoying the discussion on peep sights. I've used an XS on a Marlin for a few years now. I'd never tried a barrel mounted peep sight but put one of Skinner's barrel mounted peep sights on a little Rossi a while back and I really like it....much more than I thought I would.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I’ve generally got 6-10 ‘Whitetail’ specific rigs in the safe at any given time. Not a single one wears the same scope, maybe 2-3 are even the exact same power range, none have the exact same reticles, objectives, size, make, etc. Why? ….cuz whitetails ain’t the same, terrain ain’t the same, cover ain’t the same, and hunting style ain’t the same…. from one place to the next. There’s no one ‘perfect’ gun or optic for them, only the one perfect for that specific situation at the break.

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
I’ve generally got 6-10 ‘Whitetail’ specific rigs in the safe at any given time. Not a single one wears the same scope, maybe 2-3 are even the exact same power range, none have the exact same reticles, objectives, size, make, etc. Why? ….cuz whitetails ain’t the same, terrain ain’t the same, cover ain’t the same, and hunting style ain’t the same…. from one place to the next. There’s no one ‘perfect’ gun or optic for them, only the one perfect for that specific situation at the break.

Yep.........
7600 carbine has an old Weaver 1.5x.........no explanation needed I'd think.
Light rig has a fixed 6x
Couple others have 3-9s

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
battue,

Have used aperture sights considerably, both in North America and Africa. The longest shot was around 350 yards, lasered, on a bull caribou in Quebec. Used a pre-'64 Model 70 Winchester "standard weight" in .270 Winchester, with the 150-grain Hornady Spire Point at around 2950 fps.

Before the hunt I figured out how much the factory bead front sight "subtended" at 100 yards, and also filed the bead's face flat, slightly angling away, which is how I prefer bead sights, since it eliminates glare on one side of a bead, and also results in a slight "glow" to the bead. Both from math and shooting the rifle considerably before the hunt, I knew that with the 150s landing 2" above the bead at 100, they would land in the middle of the bead at 350--about where the bead would "cover" the typical 24" chest of a Quebec bull. So centered the bead on the bull's chest, and the bullet landed in the middle of the bead--and lungs.

Went on an all-irons hunt in Botswana 20 years ago, and used the same system with my .375 H&H Ruger No. 1 Tropical to take animals out to 225 yards. The only one I missed was an impala at about 175--which spooked just as I pulled the trigger, due to a couple of giraffes spooking just beforehand, as I crawled on the ground. (Giraffes not only have very good eyesight, but can see DOWN more than other animals!)

all iron . impressive. 20 years ago I would hav like dot try that.

As mentioned by pointer depends on terrain. Some States still hunting thick woods iron sights would work best. In central eastern Montana large breaks, prairies, fields, clear cuts in Idaho or North Dakota shots can be easily over 400 yards My longest shot was in Montana wt doe at 615 yards according range finder. I ve shot a ton of wt bucks under 25 yards too with recurves and long bows in. Wisconsin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I almost feel sorry for anyone who has, but has not. You've got so many choices but don't have the one rifle you'd carry anywhere and feel prepared for any whitetail shot that comes? Or maybe you're just overthinking things a bit.
I'd actually put a beer on the line that says you've got one rifle that you'd take anywhere for anything and not sweat it.

I've got 3 rifles on the left wall of one safe that I'd take on any whitetail hunt anywhere anytime, and not have a thought that maybe I might find a need for something better. The oldest of these rifles has been carried on deer hunts from the Spring River hills to the Black River of the Arkansas Delta, to S.W. Wisconsin, to the south shore of Superior, to the Arkansas River drainage of eastern Colorado. And that's just for whitetails...
The two more recent rifles are of the same pattern, with the same safety, same trigger, similar scopes, similar cartridges. Two of the three are walnut/blued, no less...

Note, as mentioned above that I don't push extremes, and I don't feel like life is a bust if a deer wins the contest, on occasion.
I haven't used thousands of different scopes.
I haven't hunted an hour after sunset.

What I have used has worked from delta canebreaks, to northern timbers in days long storms of grainy snow, to dusty midwestern plains

"Chances Will Be Taken"

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by johnw

I almost feel sorry for anyone who has, but has not. You've got so many choices but don't have the one rifle you'd carry anywhere and feel prepared for any whitetail shot that comes? Or maybe you're just overthinking things a bit.
I'd actually put a beer on the line that you've got one rifle that you'd take anywhere for anything and not sweat it.

I've got 3 rifles on the left wall of one safe that I'd take on any whitetail hunt anywhere anytime, and not have a thought that maybe I might find a need for something better. The oldest of these rifles has been carried on deer hunts from the Spring River hills to the Black River of the Arkansas Delta, to S.W. Wisconsin, to the south shore of Superior, to the Arkansas River drainage of eastern Colorado. And that's just for whitetails...
The two more recent rifles are of the same pattern, with the same safety, same trigger, similar scopes, similar cartridges. Two of the three are walnut/blued, no less...

Note, as mentioned above that I don't push extremes, and I don't feel like life is a bust if a deer wins the contest, on occasion.

What I have used has worked from delta canebreaks, to northern timbers in days long storms of grainy snow, to dusty midwestern plains

I think you missed that entire point. If I didn’t like them all, I wouldn’t have them all. If they all didn’t have a niche, they’d all be compromises of some sort. None of that means I couldn’t grab any one of them and hunt anywhere. None of that means I don’t have a preference for some, or confidence in all. There’s no reason for me to have just one or 3, even if there’s no reason I couldn’t just pick one. wink

But to stay on topic, I have 1-4s with #1s, to 2-10s, and most stuff in between. Nothing on a ‘deer’ (Med-big game) gun above 10x. They’re all hunting rifle scopes, not LR target or cross canyon scopes. Other stuff will work, but low to medium power is my preference on variables, and IF I ever went back to fixed, it’d be 4x or lower. I’ve never had a fixed 6x I wanted to keep vs anything else. Just me.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 02/22/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw

I almost feel sorry for anyone who has, but has not. You've got so many choices but don't have the one rifle you'd carry anywhere and feel prepared for any whitetail shot that comes? Or maybe you're just overthinking a bit.
I'd actually put a beer on the line that says you've got one rifle that you'd take anywhere for anything and not sweat it.

I think you missed that entire point. If I didn’t like them all, I wouldn’t have them all. If they all didn’t have a niche, they’d all be compromises of some sort. None of that means I couldn’t grab any one of them and hunt anywhere. None of that means I don’t have a preference for some, or confidence in all. There’s no reason for me to have just one or 3, even if there’s no reason I couldn’t just pick one. wink

But to stay on topic, I have 1-4s with #1s, to 2-10s, and most stuff in between. Nothing on a ‘deer’ (Med-big game) gun above 10x. They’re all hunting rifle scopes, not LR target or cross canyon scopes. Other stuff will work, but low to medium power is my preference on variables, and IF I ever went back to fixed, it’d be 4x or lower. I’ve never had a fixed 6x I wanted to keep vs anything else. Just me.

So... Who's buying who the beer?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a safe full of guns with different scopes. I'd take any of them anywhere. I choose the one I think will be most fun or different from what I carried last time.
4-12x, 3-9x, 2-7x, 4x, etc. really doesn't matter.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty sure I could be good about anywhere whitetails live with my Rem 700 xcr2 in 270 in an edge stock, vx3 3.5-10x40 scope, timney trigger. If I could only buy one scope for all whitetail hunting it would be a VX3 3.5-10x40. We all know that whitetails are hunted in diverse terrain so perfect can only be what will work in all these places. Pretty sure I could put that scope on any whitetail rifle I ever owned and go kill one in any place I ever hunted.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
2 x 7 Leupold Shotgun Scope for me....I like the large cross hairs it had...

Had two but one seemed to get lost in one of several moves over the years...

it was especially handy hunting northern MN and northern Wisconsin, in my upper midwest days...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The Zeiss Conquest 3x9 and the Meopta equivalent sit on my most used rifles and would take them anywhere to hunt. The bolder Z plex works very well here as we can hunt 1 hour after legal sunset. Mil scopes will leave you wishing for more here.

GreggH

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Looking at maybe the Leupold VH3 HD 3.5-10X twilight hunter #180627

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
metopa 6x42 fixed

K
K
And some states give you an hour before daybreak and hour after sunset to hunt deer...gimme them 56mm objective telescope looking rascals

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, Skinner understands non-optical sights. Mine dropped right into the factory-drilled holes, on a rifle made in the 1890s--and works very well with the factory front sight.

I have a 1/2” Skinner front post on a Marlin 336 with a Williams Rear Receiver. Skinner customer service was very helpful in getting sight height based off of my point of impact and the fact that my Williams was bottomed out. It was spot on. I feel like I can take a deer with it but the last few years they haven’t gotten the memo.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 63 invisible), 17,786 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,938
Posts18,539,266
Members74,051
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.