Print Thread
Hop To
D
dpd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I'm looking at buying an inexpensive varmint rifle. Ruger American , Savage Axis II or others ???? What say ya'll ???

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Ruger American Predator.

Excellent rifle.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Ruger American Predator.

Excellent rifle.

Have both, Ruger gets my vote

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have had good luck with Savage rifles. They have good barrels and shoot well. I have several of them and all shoot well.
Steve

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have a couple of each.... and to include a Howa or two, which wasn't asked about...

but between the Savage Axxis 2 and the Ruger American Predator, with the AR mag option....there is NO Wrong Choice...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Ruger American appears to be the budget version of the "easy button" so often assigned to the Tikka in the higher (not highest) priced tier.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Another vote for Ruger

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Have several Savage rifles, and they are all shooters, although none of the Axis model.

I bought a Ruger American "go wild" .243, in the full size version. Replaced the muzzle brake with a thread protector, and installed a mcarbo trigger spring. Put a leupold 6x42/LRD on it, and bought a couple extra AI magazines.

It shoots factory Hornady 100 grain interlocks inside 1", always.....most of the time, closer to 1/2". I use it for an everyday truck/coyote calling rifle.

Andy3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ruger American Predator all day, every day.

I like rifles, a lot, but I hate the Savage Axis, terrible stock geometry for me.

I've had a dozen or so Ruger Americans and all but 1 were capable of sub-MOA accuracy. The other, a 22-250, is close to MOA, but not consistently like all the others. My 204 Ruger has become a favorite. I have put comb risers on my Ruger Americans and modified the trigger spring to get a lighter release point, $30 worth of upgrades that make a good rifle just that much better.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I like rifles, a lot, but I hate the Savage Axis, terrible stock geometry for me.

I've had a dozen or so Ruger Americans and all but 1 were capable of sub-MOA accuracy. The other, a 22-250, is close to MOA, but not consistently like all the others. My 204 Ruger has become a favorite. I have put comb risers on my Ruger Americans and modified the trigger spring to get a lighter release point, $30 worth of upgrades that make a good rifle just that much better.

OP did not state what varmint cartridge he was looking for but will agree the 204 Ruger American Predator is a favorite of mine also. it uses the AICS magazines that are a giant leap better than the OAL restrictions of the AR magazines..........(why Ruger did not use this magazine design with the 223 American Predator rifle is truly a shame).
The Ruger bedding system is really a simple but very good design that makes the accuracy possible, the one thing I hate about the American Predator rifle is the Glock style trigger. I have done a spring upgrade in some rifles but a new Timney is the best way to go.................no love for the Savage

IC B3

D
dpd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by boatanchor

OP did not state what varmint cartridge he was looking for but will agree the 204 Ruger American Predator is a favorite of mine also. it uses the AICS magazines that are a giant leap better than the OAL restrictions of the AR magazines..........(why Ruger did not use this magazine design with the 223 American Predator rifle is truly a shame).
The Ruger bedding system is really a simple but very good design that makes the accuracy possible, the one thing I hate about the American Predator rifle is the Glock style trigger. I have done a spring upgrade in some rifles but a new Timney is the best way to go.................no love for the Savage

I'll probably go with the .223. I really like the American Ranch rifle.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ruger American, doesn't have a cheap feel about it.

Mines been 100%

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by dpd
Originally Posted by boatanchor

I'll probably go with the .223. I really like the American Ranch rifle.

+1 On the RAR ranch. Have the 5.56 version and it is plenty accurate for my mid range predator work and the threaded short barrel is handy for running a suppressor. Like that it takes AR mags as well. One note though it is LOUD when shooting unsuppressed with just the factory thread protector!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another +1 for the RAR.

I’ve got a LH 7-08 and 6.5cm.

The 6.5cm is the threaded predator model.

Really like it.

Just wish the LH had the upgraded stock to take the different mags.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Go with the Ruger American in 22-250. It's got the faster 1:10 twist than most others 1:14 twist. Allows you to shoot bullets up to 69gr-70gr should the need arise, while still shooting the lighter bullets well. As a plus it's got lots more speed than the 223/556. If you're a hand loader you can pull the throttle back to 223 velocity. I'm very pleased with mine.

Last edited by 4570fan; 04/19/22.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 219DW, 01Foreman400, 160user, 47 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 1,048 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,663
Posts18,512,905
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.