-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I recently picked up a new spotting scope and am interested in what others are using for a protective case while afield. I'm not happy with the weight, bulk and degree of protection afforded by the case I currently have.

I'm contemplating fabbing my own out of some PVC or carbon fiber tubing, and then lining it with some closed cell foam.

Anyone been down this road? Ideas?

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know what brand you have, but for Leicas, there is a special soft sided cover that is very effective, but ridiculously expensive for what it is. I bought it anyway. Works well, but don't drop the spotter down a slope!

If you are afield, I'm not sure how useful a hard cover would be, always taking the scope in and out. The softcover case I have allows me to leave it on, and still use the spotter.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I made a Pvc tube that works good in the truck, but if carrying while hiking I just make sure the lens covers are on and wrap in something soft then put in in the pack pocket....

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
For clarification, I'm looking to build (or buy) a lightweight, low-volume, nearly indestructible hard case with internal shock padding. If a mule, or other pack animal takes a long slide in a steep spot or decides to go to bucking his manties off, I want a case that will shrug off or absorb any damage that might otherwise be potentially incurred by the Swaro (20X60 80mm HD).

This would be an uber-protective case for in the truck, on a boat, or on the back of a pack animal en-route to a base camp from which to backpack out of.

I may have to go with 5-6" ABS, one end plugged, the other threaded. What do you think about the idea of using Great Stuff for a custom filler?

Allen

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would use the pvc and a closed cell foam, which is what I did for that kind of application....I just don't pack it on my back that way, but it works good in a truck or boat or on a horse....I put slide on caps on both ends instead of threads, to save on space a little....Started a little tight to get the one cover off, but I sanded one end of the pvc lightly and that end comes of pretty easy...

IC B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I found a Haliburton aluminum camera case at a yard sale, really cheap, and I'm currently getting foam to cut to shape for the Swaro.....that'll be for traveling......in the bush, I put it the pack where the clothing pads it, as someone else has already mentioned.......the scope's tougher than a boat anchor........built for hard use.

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Leupold is a timex, it's been rode hard put away wet, and looks it, still functions fine though, it stays on an outside pocket, no padding of any kind. When I want it, I want it NOW!

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1badf350, 2500HD, 1941USMC, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 54 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,901
Posts18,518,483
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.