Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It's no 30-30 Winchester despite what people always try to claim

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only reason I have one in a bolt is because of the gigatons of Chinese and Russian ammo my dad and I accumulated in the '80's and '90's. The Russian HP ammo will easily kill whitetail at 100 yards or so, but you better have turrets if shooting at targets much farther than that. It is a fun one to shoot with a suppressor......and also CHEAP.

[Linked Image]

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Joe
I have a little CZ-527 Carbine that I've hunted deer with although I've never had a shot when carrying it. Since all my shots are within 75 yards or so, I use a cast 165 grain flat nose bullet at 1953 fps that will turn an armadillo inside out and make coyotes DRT. laugh

I would think it would a right fine armadillo and soft skin zombie cartridge at 150 yards and under.

V
verns Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
V
I ran into a guy shooting by the road up in the hills and he had one in a CZ that he loved and said he shoot lots of gophers with it. He said here try this out I got lots of ammo, I crunched a rock with it And that is why I posted this thread .Thanks for the response .I wonder why it hung on so long with the commies ?

“To account nothing of one's self, and to think always kindly and highly of others, this is great and perfect wisdom.”
― Thomas à Kempis, The Imitation of Christ
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by verns
I ran into a guy shooting by the road up in the hills and he had one in a CZ that he loved and said he shoot lots of gophers with it. He said here try this out I got lots of ammo, I crunched a rock with it And that is why I posted this thread .Thanks for the response .I wonder why it hung on so long with the commies ?

Cause they were cheap to build and Russia gave the rights to make them to our enemies around the world. They require very little care to go bang, but that is about the extent of how great they are.

Semper Fi
IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
My humble opinion? The AK47, RPD and SKS are pathetic. The cartridge has some advantage over the M1 Carbine, but not much.

i love the m1 carbine. more of a nonsensical obsession. then again, ive never had to depend on one to keep me alive …

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Had one in a mini mauser and barreled it in 270x39AI. A very accurate youth deer rifle. I have since rebarreled it to 220 Russian. I've seen a few that were barreled in 308 bullet size to make them a 30x39AI or 30PPC. The World Record 5 shot group was shot with a version of this. Group size is .007.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 257heaven
The only reason I have one in a bolt is because of the gigatons of Chinese and Russian ammo my dad and I accumulated in the '80's and '90's. The Russian HP ammo will easily kill whitetail at 100 yards or so, but you better have turrets if shooting at targets much farther than that. It is a fun one to shoot with a suppressor......and also CHEAP.

[Linked Image]

I have occasionally thought about buying a Ruger American Ranch rifle in 7.62x39, but have never found one with the price in sync with the condition. A couple had bores that looked like corrosive ammo had been fired in them and the shooters failed to clean them promptly.

I bought one of the short barrel RAR-Ps in 308 'cause it was too inexpensive not to buy, but I've not gotten around to shooting it yet. Bought it in 03/20, just before the COVID panic came down on us.

I bought a case of NORINCO SKSs in the early 1990s, most of which my FIL gave away to the better customers of his Pioneer Seed business. I heard that those farmers reported good results shooting deer from the cab of their combines, as the deer will just move a row or two out of the way until all of corn in field is cut. I kept one of those SKSs, but haven't shot it in ages. I have long thought that the semi-auto SKS was a better main battle rifle than the AK because the shooter had to aim the rifle, not just point and spray. I thought that those sub-$100 SKSs would become the dominent barn/farm/ranch/tractor/truck rifle when they flooded the market in the early 1990s, but I was wrong on that one too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I am not too familiar with the cartridge . In a bolt gun is it on par with 243 at 200 yds using optimum bullet weights for the respective cartridges . Is it merely a deer and pig gun and nothing bigger ?

Strictly IMO:

The 7.62x39 is not as capable as the 243 beyond 150+/- yards, assuming that both cartridges are loaded with properly constructed bullets.

The 7.62x39 is not quite as capable as the 30-30, as it is pushing a 123 grain bullet at about the same speed that the 30-30 has been pushing 170 grain bullets for around 100 years. Hornady LeverEvolution factory loads give the 30-30 better longer range performance.

Can you kill stuff with a 7.62x39? Yes, you can.

Are there more capable cartridges? Yes, there are.

I agree, about the 7.62x39 being good with spitzer bullets but, when you factor in the LeverEvolution ammo in .30-30, it gets real pretty quick. Heavier bullet, and higher sectional density. Probably the best factory ammo for 7.62x39 is, the 150 gr. Spire Point Russian loads. Slower but, pack more of a punch. They may not even make them anymore.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
V
verns Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
V
Do you suppose you could soup it up with hand loads in a bolt gun ?

“To account nothing of one's self, and to think always kindly and highly of others, this is great and perfect wisdom.”
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If it isn’t enough for what you want to do as is, get something else. Lots of choices out there; more than ever in fact.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
For what it’s worth, the problem lies in bullets and barrels.

I went with 308 barrels which solved bullet availability and function. And accuracy. Some .310 barrels shoot ok with 308 bullets. Some don’t.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
We can hear everything, you can kil anything with anything BUT this caliber should be put in the fun caliber to shoot but left out of the woods. Several years agio in MN we had lots of bonus deer tags, one of my cousins arrived on the scene with one of those on opening day , year I think was 1991, snow at waist in the woods, he shot 3 deer that opening morning all thru the ribs and all went and went and went, at lunch he was sent home for a different gun. No 30-30, not even a distant cousin to a 243 in deer killing performance, steel plate gun! And to all the genius' bullet selection doesn't mean nothing when they are not moving with enough authority to thump.

V
verns Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
V
I gave the Ruskys more credit than they deserved according to most of the respondents ! Here I thought it was .308 ????

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I gave the Ruskys more credit than they deserved according to most of the respondents ! Here I thought it was .308 ????

They used slightly bigger bullets. Depending on the ammunition manufacturer, and the barrel manufacturer and the condition of the firearm, groups go from so-so to awful.

A little uniformity and barrels in good condition make a huge difference.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
For what it was designed to do it serves that function extremely well. It hits harder at distance than the 5.56 and has better penetration. There’s a reason we’ve been searching for a replacement to the 5.56 for years and not having replaced it does not speak to better rounds not being available and has everything to with military micromanaging a great idea into an abomination.

There’s a reason several of my rifles are in that chambering and only one is 5.56.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Never had a problem with the 7.62x39s I've shot
deer and hogs with
No, it's not a 7 mag
No, I don't have 300 yard shot opportunities
2 friends use scoped ARs in 7.62X39 for their
deer pig guns. They have no problems killing
their animals

Most every whitetail I've shot the last decade I
probably could have head shot with a 22

Use whatever you can use that'll do the job
with one shot

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My scoped ARs shooting 123gr SSTs ain’t no slouch. I’d not want to shoot a 4 legged animal at more than 250-300 but a 2 legged out to 5 wouldn’t be hard.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by captjohn
We can hear everything, you can kil anything with anything BUT this caliber should be put in the fun caliber to shoot but left out of the woods. Several years agio in MN we had lots of bonus deer tags, one of my cousins arrived on the scene with one of those on opening day , year I think was 1991, snow at waist in the woods, he shot 3 deer that opening morning all thru the ribs and all went and went and went, at lunch he was sent home for a different gun. No 30-30, not even a distant cousin to a 243 in deer killing performance, steel plate gun! And to all the genius' bullet selection doesn't mean nothing when they are not moving with enough authority to thump.

Have you heard of a handgun cartridge called the 30 Herrett? My father used a 14" barreled Contender so chambered and he killed deer with it just fine. He used bullets whose expansion characteristics suited the modest velocity.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

682 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 3,141 guests, and 1,395 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,198
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.