-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My mom's gone now, so I can't confirm it, but I remember overhearing a comment when I was a pre-teen that a white hood and cloak was found among my paternal great-grandpa's effects. He passed in the early 1970's.

Not sure how I feel about this.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
GB4

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
My Dad was a traveling salesman! Take it from there.

Is your grandfather a farmer, by chance?

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My great grandfather ran booze from victoria canada to agate beach washington, then on to Reno during prohibition.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My fathers brother was in prison after his USMC service in Korea for a short time but I'm not sure why. I would guess it was car theft. Other than that I don't know all that much about my his side since he went out of the picture when I was 15. His other brother was a close friend of Clyde Barrows nephew. I remember them discussing his embarrassment when Bonnie and Clyde came out.
My wifes family, her paternal grandfather knocked up his step daughter then shot her and killed himself when she wouldn't marry him. This young gals mother had a brother that shot and killed someone in a crime of passion. She survived into her 80s. Her maternal great grandfather ran a large gambling house and hotel, surely a whorehouse in Los Angeles. He lived in the Pico House. In his obituary he was referred to as a prominent leader in the Chinese community. I think he was along the lines of Woo in Deadwood. He was shut down by fire code violations of all things.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Someone above caused me to remember... Not really a secret exactly but a great great grandfather (I think that's correct), was active in the Kkk and we have a picture of him marching with their band. 30 guys in hoods and my relative is the one playing trumpet with his damn hood off lol

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by killerv
I was 40 before I learned my father had a whole different life with another women while married to my mom when I was a kid. We haven't talked since. No half brothers and sisters to my knowledge though from it....

Similar. Somewhere out there I have a half-brother. I met him once but no longer remember his name. One of my fathers liaisons.

Jim

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We ate Aunt Jamima syrup!

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Not so much a family secret but my maternal great great grandfather owned 129 black slaves on a plantation near where the White River in Arkansas, runs into the Mississippi River. After the Civil War, he and his wife owned no slaves and no plantation, as the yankees took it all.

My brother still has a couple of the old plantation ledger books listing the slaves' names. I've seen them. Interesting reading. cool

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Wabigoon: My family name is "Gibbons".
When my great grandfather immigrated to the United States of America way back when - the family name was "Fitzgibbons" and once here to America he found out no one liked Irish people so eventually he changed his last name - dropping the Fitz.
Other that (if that can be classified as a secret?) no family secrets that I know of.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Not much on my mom's side but seeing how I never knew who my dad was the sky is the limit. I could even be kin to some of you on here and we'd not know it!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My grandfathers older brother was traded to the neighbors for a pig. Then he ran away and so my Grandfather was given to the neighbors instead.
He grew up on their farm,, and was treated just like one of the family, even taking their surname until he married my grandmother and moved on.
So that's how I have an Irish name but am almost entirely Norwegian blood.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Not much on my mom's side but seeing how I never knew who my dad was the sky is the limit. I could even be kin to some of you on here and we'd not know it!

Darth Vader?

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mom was the third born to a family of 15 siblings, 8 girls and 7 boys. Of the boys, 4 died alcoholics.
Her father died in 1953, I believe. When her mother died 21 years later, no one in that family knew where he was buried! My Dad and my Uncle went through the cemetery records to find his grave so the mother could be buried next to him!
Mom and her sisters never talked about him.
Dad told me that he suspected their father was very abusive.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
My grandfathers older brother was traded to the neighbors for a pig. Then he ran away and so my Grandfather was given to the neighbors instead.
He grew up on their farm,, and was treated just like one of the family, even taking their surname until he married my grandmother and moved on.
So that's how I have an Irish name but am almost entirely Norwegian blood.

That's flipping wild.

Me

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Hell, I thought everybody's granddaddy made liquor back in the "good old days." Learn something new every day. Life never ceases to amaze me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by lockanddam
Hell, I thought everybody's granddaddy made liquor back in the "good old days." Learn something new every day. Life never ceases to amaze me.

Or if they didn't make it they ran it.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I ran the same roads that Robert Mitchum did in the movie, with the same cargo, for real- - - -not play-acting. It was a good thing to have a very boring ride!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Mom's great aunt is buried in the cemetery at the Walla Walla State Prison.

Dad's grandmother was in a gun fight with bootleggers in her kitchen.

A couple of cousins killed a bunch of members of a vigilante group in Southern Indiana.

Brandenburg Kentucky is named after family of ours.

I was put up for adoption as a baby, my biological last name was Baldwin and I am part Inupiat Eskimo.

That's about it really.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
No seal clubbing in the woodpile Jim? LOL

You guys aren't spilling the real beans. I talk to old guys, I know what they done!

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a uncle shot in the face with a 12ga over a girl in the 40's... .... dad had 4 kids divorced ......then married my mom 4 years latter.......there was a kid born in between, met him in o8....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 117LBS, 56 invisible), 2,578 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,985
Posts18,480,987
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.