Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have an older hunting friend who has decided it's time to begin winding down his gun collection of 60ish long guns and handguns. He's got a few custom guns, semi-custom Dakota's, some run of the mill stuff and plenty of handguns he wants to liquidate. He contacted me to see if I was interested in buying but I am coming to the same conclusion he is - sooner or later it will be time to start thinning down the show ponies and safe queens.

In the past I have dealt with George Caswell at Champlin Arms and he's been fair on his pricing and easy to deal with. I have not dealt with the usual internet auction houses - Guns.com, GunBroker, or Guns International so no idea if that is a better path.

Anyone have good/bad experience in selling collections or suggestions?

Thanks!

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Probably get the most money on GunBroker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve done pretty well advertising in our regional “sale paper”, the Valley Trader. Only catch is this is a nexus of states with four in close proximity, so there can be the issue of transfers via a dealer. I’m very loath to ship these days for several reasons, so I’ve also sold some on consignment at reliable shops in the area. Generally, they charge 15%. It’s certainly the easiest way if you’re not trying to squeeze out the last nickel.

The real nice ones might be best consigned with a place that specializes in high-end stuff.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
auction houses get stupid prices around here. yes they charge fairly high prices to sell stuff but they get way more for each item. plus you just drop them off and wait on a check.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Gee.....
How about some of em on here in the classifieds....
No sellers charge.
Include shipping in the price or state whatever method applies.
Private shipper to accepting ffl
Or FFl to FFL
I bet a LGS around the area can provide needed advice and service.

Too easy.....

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by hanco
Probably get the most money on GunBroker

Sellers market, this is good advice.

No reserve, two week or longer auction and he should do well.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Buying and selling rule #1

ALWAYS sell to the largest group of bidders you can practically manage to achieve (i.e. GunBroker et al)

ALWAYS buy with the small amount of competition (other buyers) whenever possible.

Summary...

Sell guns on GunBroker...

Buy guns from grieving widows for a sack of rancid flour... (if that is your nature).

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Georgia Outdoor news has a sale section also for the local audience.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
I have an older hunting friend who has decided it's time to begin winding down his gun collection of 60ish long guns and handguns. He's got a few custom guns, semi-custom Dakota's, some run of the mill stuff and plenty of handguns he wants to liquidate. He contacted me to see if I was interested in buying but I am coming to the same conclusion he is - sooner or later it will be time to start thinning down the show ponies and safe queens.

In the past I have dealt with George Caswell at Champlin Arms and he's been fair on his pricing and easy to deal with. I have not dealt with the usual internet auction houses - Guns.com, GunBroker, or Guns International so no idea if that is a better path.

Thanks!

I will no longer deal with Gunbroker. They've started billing the seller for sales tax.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by STRSWilson

Thanks!

I will no longer deal with Gunbroker. They've started billing the seller for sales tax.

That's the least of the problems. They offer zero buyer or seller protection. They blatantly let scammers and fraud keep increasing. But it does have the benefit of good exposure and bid competition.

Gunsamerica has an auction option as well. Generally there items are fixed price listings

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've sold 3 in the last 3 years. One at an auction house and two on consignment at a LGS. IIRC both were at a 20% rate. All I had to do was drop them off and wait for a check. Auction house had my check here about a week after the auction. LGS wait was about 6-8 months on one and just over a year on the other, but that was O.K. cause I was in no hurry.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If people have to ask about buying and selling firearms online I dissuade them from doing so.

You have to know what you’re doing. If you try doing it via a proxy expert it just gets all tangled and fugked up.

Add to that they are somebody else’s guns and the mess increases tenfold.

Take them to the guy you’ve used in the past or any reputable dealer that does consignment. The ten percent they take will be well worth your trouble.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Sage advice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know that a lot on here don't like armslist. I'm going to include it here because it's easy. And, if you only deal face to face with buyers from armslist, there's no problem. So, assuming your friend is also in Georgia, you have two other great options, 1) Georgia Outdoor News (as mentioned above); and, 2) Theoutdoorstrader.com. Add to that Armslist. If he is old enough and unsure enough, he could always have a friend he trusts (you?) who could handle it for him. I would do that for an older friend of mine.

Add to that, as has been mentioned, place some for sale here, and/or other gun forums or on gunbroker. I know I'm stating the obvious; but, listing them on a forum like this and on gunbroker gets him a significantly larger audience/customer base. Only he can decide if it is worth "the hassle".

Like Travis/Clark said above, consigning with a dealer that takes only 10% can be worth it to not have to deal with multiple sales. Good luck to your friend with whatever he and you decide.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
If people have to ask about buying and selling firearms online I dissuade them from doing so.

You have to know what you’re doing. If you try doing it via a proxy expert it just gets all tangled and fugked up.

Add to that they are somebody else’s guns and the mess increases tenfold.

Take them to the guy you’ve used in the past or any reputable dealer that does consignment. The ten percent they take will be well worth your trouble.

I agree .

Every-dam-time I get in the middle of some deal, it bites my ass.

Simply tried to sell some ammo on here for a kid, figured I'd get seller and buyer together, they'd handle it. The buyer was great. I like the kid.
But, for some dam reason, getting the schidt shipped eluded him.
I ended up getting it, packing it, and shipping it.

Never again.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I get a weekly auction guide that is focused on Michigan. It lists upcoming auctions, has auction ads and publishes some commentary regarding auctions. There are couple auction companies here that regularly run firearm auctions that are hybrid online/live events. They get high prices; higher than I'm willing to pay. I have told my daughters that if I tip over, these are the places to use. Drop off guns, get check.

I'm sure if you check around, you will find similar auctions reasonably close to you.

405wcf

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have found the 24Hour Classifieds always works as good or better than any other place mentioned above.
I have never had a bad experience with anybody on the forum. I find it more like selling to someone you know-----and I have gotten to know some of the buyers---and sellers personally.
Just my two cents worth,
Ken

For large collections, I think a reputable auction site works the best.

Last edited by kennymauser; 04/16/22. Reason: adding comment
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

Like Travis/Clark said above, consigning with a dealer that takes only 10% can be worth it to not have to deal with multiple sales.

Local Pawn shop here (GREAT shop BTW)... does all of our FFL transfers. I know the owner well. Fantastic lady... great selection... super friendly shop.

She has so many guns on consignment now... that she isn't even taking on new consignments.

While I agree that 10% (or even 20%) is chicken feed to mitigate on-line hassles... it is not always an easy play. Locations vary obviously.

Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Good luck to your friend with whatever he and you decide.

+1

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I know a private collector out of Iowa. If you’re in the Midwest region he will bring cash for collections usually. PM me if you would like his contact info. He’s a solid guy with more than fair pricing.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've used a LGS for the last couple guns I've sold. Store is located on a major hwy. with a lot of hunters traveling to hunting areas. Put both guns on sale about a month before hunting season, and, both sold about a month after season ended...guess buyers needed a while to think it over. I told the store owner what I wanted the retail to be, and then take his commission and mail me a check for the rest. Took about for months to sell each gun. I made money on each gun...even after the commission. How often do you make money selling guns? LOL

U.S. government was established to represent citizens, NOT TO RULE OVER THEM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 219DW, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1shotnokilz, 72 invisible), 3,392 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,636
Posts18,533,439
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.