Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
John,
My google fu is failing me. I remember you suggesting a few differences between bedding a Howa and a Remington type action. Can I trouble you to repeat yourself one more time?
Kind regards
Pavementends

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The Howa action (along with few other modern bolt actions) has the front action-screw going directly into the recoil lug. This was the common design in older bolt-actions, including the 98 Mauser, 1903 Springfield and many derivations, primarily because they were military actions, fitted into often hastily-produced wood stocks. The screw in the recoil lug drew the action firmly into the stock, reducing the tendency for the wood to split.

The downside was that many of those early actions were pretty flexible, especially the military 98. As a result, when the front action screw was tightened hard, it tended to bend the front of the action downward, which often resulted in the bolt's locking lugs not seating perfectly in the recesses in the receiver ring. This could result in relatively poor accuracy--especially when the rifle was "sporterized," common after WWII--the reason it became standard procedure to "glass-bed" the rear inch or two of the barrel, which prevented the action from bending downward.

All of this changed with the introduction of the Model 70 Winchester in the 1930s, which had the front action screw BEHIND the recoil lug. Consequently the action didn't bend when the screw was tightened--a design followed by most later bolt-actions, including the Remington 700.

The Howa action (and some semi-copies) is much stiffer than a military 98, or even a 1903 Springfield, but sometimes benefits from bedding the rear of the barrel. However, this often depends on the stiffness of the stock. Some injection-molded stocks aren't very stiff. Which is why I've sometimes had better luck bedding Howa-actioned rifles the old-fashioned way, with bedding compound under the rear of the barrel. Contrary to what many believe, this isn't to "support the barrel," but to support the action.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not MD, but I've done a few. Here's an overview. Using the flanged sleeves is an important part of the process.

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?104397-Bedding-a-Howa-1500

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
With the Howas, I always just bed under the lug and prefer to leave the barrel totally free. A friend of mine used to relocate the front screw on Sakos and use a Remington-style lug.
One thing which I think is very important on a Howa is to be sure to have clearance behind the tang. GD

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Thanks guys, Just installed a barrel and will see how it shoots tomorrow and then decide about the bedding.
Pavementends

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Would you not bed the action if you were hunting whitetails?

Sorry had to be done.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

413 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,616
Posts18,473,964
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.