Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I turned 55 in 2005 and it dawned on me...
"I've been hunting since I was 3 with my dad and grampa!
Other than memories, I have no record of our activities.
Grampa passed in 1973, dad in 1981.
I went back and recorded some of what I could remember.
Since then, I record every hunting, fishing and outdoor activity.
Sometimes, I even carry my journal out into the field.
Going back and reading what I've written since 2005, I realize just how much I don't remember from years past!

If you don't keep a journal, I encourage you to start! 😉!

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have kept a journal for some activities in my life, but I would have liked to have had one of my hunting life, I suppose its never too late, but many memories have faded, wish I did.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I write down how many hours I slept.

I take pics of my projects and send emails about them. gmail is a searchable data base.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I take a few pictures almost every day with my iphone. That’s my journal.

Pics are dated in the metadata.

Helps me remember when I changed tractor oil, snowstorms, dates and times deer traveled passed my stands

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have albums of pics of hunting trips back to 1974.

NRA Patron
IC B2

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
I only write down a narrative of a special trip, like when I went to Alaska and Africa. I used to write down the results and observations whenever I shot Skeet or Sporting Clays but thought it was a waste of time.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No, because I’m not a woman, real or imagined….

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I've kept a daily calendar since 1993. It has come in very handy at times, i.e. when did I spray Asulox last year and how much, when was the first pick of blueberries, the first trip to the high lakes for trout fishing.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Na.. My my road has a lot of Clutter which can’t be put into Proper Prospective.. Hahahaha..

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I keep a big game journal. Have since I started killing deer. It lists what, weights, distance shot and traveled, rifle and load, where and often other notes that made the hunt special. It now has 35 years of experiences in it. I consider it priceless.

GreggH

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I try to include those facts and a narrative as to how it "went down", or on some cases, what DID NOT happen. LOL!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have kept a log on monthly rainfall amounts for many years. It has been useful several times in the past, but I would give anything if I had kept a hunting log over the years. I’ve got a lot of memories, but they would be a lot easier to relive if they were written down. At age 78, it’s probably a little late to start.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm kinda thinkin' when it gets to the point where I cant remember what happened, I likely wont care what happened, or care what happens next?

.... like tears in the rain
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've kept a journal my entire life.

Every page reads "Your mom."

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got lots of deer hunt memories down on paper. Started doing that for most hunts back in the late 1980's. Early to mid 1980's I was talking to an old hunter way up in the woods who regretted not preserving more of his hunt memories from his younger days. Told me if I didn't then all the details fade away even though you can't imagine forgetting an exciting hunt. Now I'm glad I took his advice and can go back and re-read a hunting story and it really does all come back to me when I read it but without the story on paper I would have forgot all kinds of interesting small details. Kind of neat to be able to re-live a hunt.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Of course. In the beginning it was simply to aid my memory when writing for a magazine story and the journal was merely a jumble of notes that meant nothing to anybody but me. My handwriting is laborious, slow, and nigh the perfect unbreakable code -- by anybody including me. Time passed and technology progressed. I tried verbal notes on a wee dicataphone sort of gizmo and that was an utter failure, Trying to transcribe that later was a losing proposition. With the advent of Palm Pilots and detachable keyboards I was flying. There has been more technological progression, but a few minutes at a keyboard does it. Relax, have a brew, and get the day's activities down. When I get back, run it through the full word processor and let the spell checker help me clean it up, then print it off for the binder.
RB

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Got lots of deer hunt memories down on paper. Started doing that for most hunts back in the late 1980's. Early to mid 1980's I was talking to an old hunter way up in the woods who regretted not preserving more of his hunt memories from his younger days. Told me if I didn't then all the details fade away even though you can't imagine forgetting an exciting hunt. Now I'm glad I took his advice and can go back and re-read a hunting story and it really does all come back to me when I read it but without the story on paper I would have forgot all kinds of interesting small details. Kind of neat to be able to re-live a hunt.

DING! DING! DING! DING!
...AND WE HAVE A WINNER!

I've reread portions of my journal several times. It amazes me some of the small details that I had forgotten. Alot of the tine, it's those small details that add the pizzazz to the story!
Thanks for sharing 22250rem

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My wife reminds me of everything I do...she seems to only the bad....hmmm

I got my living journal

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
not hunting related but...when I joined the Navy and fist started flying my logbook seemed a bit boring. just flight data, no details.

a senior officer told me to start taking some notes in the blank pages on memorable flights, so I did. I also kept notes on ports the ship pulled into, before you know it I was into my third log book with notes on a lot of Navy stuff. started in 1991. retired in 2018, 27 years of stuff I dun. glad I kept a bit of a logbook.

R
R
I suppose I've been around a lot longer than most on here.
I started keeping a journal in 1969. Wish I had begun it earlier. Not a diary in which you write every day. A journal you only write in when you feel like it; to note events that are important to you. My journals have entries about my personal feelings at the time, my work, my hunting and fishing trips; just all sorts of things. I started using military record books, and now use 3 ring binders that are 3 inches thick. Pages are in plastic page protectors. I am now on volume 21.
I keep my journals with all my family history stuff. One day my kids will get it, or if they don't want it they are instructed to give it all to the local historical society.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1234, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 54 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,073
Posts18,482,653
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.