Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Well, I have used the Cutting edge mth bullet with some success. They are costly and a little fussy keeping the hollow point open in hunting conditions.
Without a fully open h.p. the bullet won't work as designed.
I have not tried the cheaper maximus, I understand it works better in field conditions.
Anyone, give it a go?

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Nope, but have used the Raptors, which work very well on game.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Nope, but have used the Raptors, which work very well on game.

Good morning John, I have not tried the Raptors, they are really costly and the last name ain't Rockefeller..
Could you do a piece on the Cutting Edge Maximus bullet? Just wondering

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I might be able to. Haven't been in contact with Cutting Edge for a while, but could see if they'd send some samples.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by comerade
Well, I have used the Cutting edge mth bullet with some success. They are costly and a little fussy keeping the hollow point open in hunting conditions.
Without a fully open h.p. the bullet won't work as designed.
I have not tried the cheaper maximus, I understand it works better in field conditions.
Anyone, give it a go?

Hammer bullets are all copper that blows the front of of the bullet and they are deadly. Easiest bullet I have ever worked up a load for.

The petals radiate outward and then follow the shank for a devastating wound channel. They are accurate and deadly In my experience which is with the 35 Whelen

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Cutting Edge Bullets are pricy but the best bullet to use hunting....but really how many bullets do you shoot sighting in your gun and game animals....

If your smart you find a bullet that shoots the same as a Cutting Edge Bullet use them to do your target shooting and then use the CEB's on game.....

There's no bullet made that will perform as good as Cutting Edge Bullets....

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by coyotewacker

I tend to disagree with this statement I rate the Hammer bullet ahead of the Cutting Edge Bullet.

The Raptor in the 45 ACP is in my opinion and experience next to useless.

The damage Hammer bullets do have to be seen to be believe. Plus they are super accurate

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jwp475

I tend to disagree with this statement I rate the Hammer bullet ahead of the Cutting Edge Bullet.

The Raptor in the 45 ACP is in my opinion and experience next to useless.

The damage Hammer bullets do have to be seen to be believe. Plus they are super accurate

In my Pre-64 FWT .358 Win, I like the 178 Hammer more than the equivalent CEB. Bullets are sleeker, seat out farther and are devastating on WT's.

Both CEB and Hammer are really accurate in that gun.

I'd lean toward Hammer, at least in that limited experience.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Cutting Edge Bullets are pricy but the best bullet to use hunting....but really how many bullets do you shoot sighting in your gun and game animals....

If your smart you find a bullet that shoots the same as a Cutting Edge Bullet use them to do your target shooting and then use the CEB's on game.....

Must admit that I'm always somewhat astounded when somebody proclaims a particular bullet the very best. Or a cartridge, rifle, scope, etc. This is because there around 1000 dead big game animals in the hunting notes I've kept for over 50 years now.

But whatever....

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I concurr, Mule Deer.
I became interested in C.E. stuff because Of the information I got from the GS Custom's product of South Africa.
I think GSCustom was the inspiration for CE.
Both are cnc machined, both use the bore rider concept( only the rifling grooves engage the ring)
Gs Custom , have quite a bit of info available and share it freely
As a Canadian, we must order from S.A. , C.E. has a dealer in Canada and so far ,Hammer does not.
I am thinking of ordering some CE .277 Maximus bullets . It is a spring thing, I just try something new.
My default bullet is the Nosler Partition.
For your info , Canadan customs have no issue bringing in components from the US of A

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Personally I am a Hammer fan. Met some reps from cutting edge at a show, and the person talking to me was the most rude, snobby, and just terrible person to talk to. Had some questions and they pretty much blew me off. Granted, they were probably tired of talking to people, but gotta show some respect to people. I had an open mind about their bullet, was considering trying some. After that experience I said no Cutting Edge bullet will ever go down one of my gun barrels. Talking to the guys at hammer was a breath of fresh air. It is basic customer service 101, but that is why I shoot Hammers and not Cutting Edge.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Must admit that I'm always somewhat astounded when somebody proclaims a particular bullet the very best. Or a cartridge, rifle, scope, etc. This is because there around 1000 dead big game animals in the hunting notes I've kept for over 50 years now.

But whatever....

I almost commented earlier. Last year I sort of rushed into a north Texas whitetail hunt and had a newly acquired 308 Win (Mauser M12) I wanted to use but no time for handloads. I swung by my LGS and they had 150 gr Federal blue box. I bought two, sighted the rifle in and killed a decent buck with that dated Power Shok bullet.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Good deal, Ed

Hard to argue with that.

But, us Loonies just gotta split hairs and ruminate over loads and guns. To not do so could well negate Loony credentials.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

But whatever....

Modus operandi for coyotewacker - provincial stooge.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
SKane,

Thanks for the heads-up!

John Steinbeck
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Good deal, Ed

Hard to argue with that.

But, us Loonies just gotta split hairs and ruminate over loads and guns. To not do so could well negate Loony credentials.

DF

Trust me, I was once one. I've grown lazy with accurate 22 RF now consuming me.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Personally I am a Hammer fan. Met some reps from cutting edge at a show, and the person talking to me was the most rude, snobby, and just terrible person to talk to. Had some questions and they pretty much blew me off. Granted, they were probably tired of talking to people, but gotta show some respect to people. I had an open mind about their bullet, was considering trying some. After that experience I said no Cutting Edge bullet will ever go down one of my gun barrels. Talking to the guys at hammer was a breath of fresh air. It is basic customer service 101, but that is why I shoot Hammers and not Cutting Edge.

Just tested some 103-grain Hammer Hunters in my NULA .257 Weatherby for an upcoming article in HANDLOADER. Was very impressed with the accuracy, andhave heard great things about their on-game performance. Will be "field-testing" some this year.

One of the great things about Hammers is they're actually available during this most recent "shortage." The bulllet I have been using for years in the NULA is the 100-grain Nosler E-Tip--but just try find any now. I ordered the Hammers from their website and they showed up in two days, partly because they're also in Montana.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a box of .308 Raptor 130 to try in my .30-06 on the recommendation of a member here but they were horizontally off on point of impact by several inches at 200yards compared to the 180 SST and 180 Speer RN I was using to shoot hogs with. But they grouped very accurately. I found a home for them in a left hand .308W Tikka that is being assigned to my recoil sensitive grand daughter. I found that rifle to shoot to just about the same point of aim out to 200 yards believe it or not with factory 150 SST and a load I made with 125 Nosler Ballistic tip. The Raptor and Ballistic Tip are soft loaded with 37 grains of H4895 to encourage no more deer hunting with the .223.

This particular Tikka Stainless belongs to my son in law and is as accurate as any rifle in the family and we haven't found a load it won't shoot.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Jevyod

Just tested some 103-grain Hammer Hunters in my NULA .257 Weatherby for an upcoming article in HANDLOADER. Was very impressed with the accuracy, andhave heard great things about their on-game performance. Will be "field-testing" some this year.

One of the great things about Hammers is they're actually available during this most recent "shortage." The bulllet I have been using for years in the NULA is the 100-grain Nosler E-Tip--but just try find any now. I ordered the Hammers from their website and they showed up in two days, partly because they're also in Montana.

Any chance you're also going to try the .257 95gn Badlands projectile?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Maybe--eventually. Unfortunately I had a deadline, without enough time to test the Badlands bullets too. One of the "problems" with being a gun writer today is so many new bullets/powders/cartridges etc. are always appearing.

Around 15-20 years ago was assigned by the editor of the now-defunct VARMINT HUNTER magazine to both range- and field-test every available varmint bullet. He may have limited it to .224" bullets, but can't remember.

I gave it a try, partly because several of my .224-caliber varmint rifles would shoot just about any bullet to the same point-of-impact at 100 yards. Did a LOT of range and varmint shooting over a year before writing the article--during which several more bullets were introduced. All I could come up with was some general principles, such as that plastic-tipped bullets not only shoot noticeably flatter and drifted less in the wind beyond about 150 yards, no matter the cartridge, but expanded more violently at much longer ranges.

Unfortunately, doing the same sort of "field-testing" with big game bullets is even more difficult. I have tested a lot of big game bullets not only on animals but in various kinds of "media," which can provide a reasonable comparison of field results, but to tell the truth this has started resembling my "research" into the varmint bullets. Eventually I concluded that there are a LOT of good bullets out there these days--but anymore do not have enough desire or time to attempt to test ALL of them, in every way.

This is partly because so many "new" bullets resemble other bullets already available.

John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 673, 18 invisible), 1,490 guests, and 969 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,487
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.