Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jahrs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J

Most mornings I like to read C.H. Spurgeons daily devotional. This morning I read I good explanation on the temple veil that was torn when Christ died.

And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;”— Matthew 27:51

No mean miracle was wrought in the rending of so strong and thick a veil; but it was not intended merely as a display of power–many lessons were herein taught us.

The old law of ordinances was put away, and like a worn-out vesture, rent and laid aside. When Jesus died, the sacrifices were all finished, because all fulfilled in him, and therefore the place of their presentation was marked with an evident token of decay.

That rent also revealed all the hidden things of the old dispensation: the mercy-seat could now be seen, and the glory of God gleamed forth above it. By the death of our Lord Jesus we have a clear revelation of God, for he was “not as Moses, who put a veil over his face.”

Life and immortality are now brought to light, and things which have been hidden since the foundation of the world are manifest in him. The annual ceremony of atonement was thus abolished.

The atoning blood which was once every year sprinkled within the veil, was now offered once for all by the great High Priest, and therefore the place of the symbolical rite was broken up. No blood of bullocks or of lambs is needed now, for Jesus has entered within the veil with his own blood. Hence access to God is now permitted, and is the privilege of every believer in Christ Jesus.

There is no small space laid open through which we may peer at the mercy-seat, but the rent reaches from the top to the bottom. We may come with boldness to the throne of the heavenly grace.

Shall we err if we say that the opening of the Holy of Holies in this marvellous manner by our Lord’s expiring cry was the type of the opening of the gates of paradise to all the saints by virtue of the Passion?

Our bleeding Lord hath the key of heaven; he openeth and no man shutteth; let us enter in with him into the heavenly places, and sit with him there till our common enemies shall be made his footstool.

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thank you for posting that.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Jahrs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Yes sir Wabi... What a High Priest we have who provided us access to the Holy of holies through His death & resurrection.

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from i.etsystatic.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks for posting Spurgeon's thoughts on this. I have a great amount of respect for him.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is no more barrier between man and YHWH. The price is paid. WE now have free access to Him, through Christ.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice, but there was no Ark and therefore no Mercy Seat in the 2nd Temple.

Politics is War by Other Means
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I once heard a sermon where the preacher said that once the veil was rent that not only was man allowed inside the Holy of Holies, but now God was free to change locations to where He wanted to reside all along, the new temple of the Holy Spirit - inside all of the saints, purchased by that Most Precious Blood!

<>< Brian
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Did that veil rent include a security deposit and utilities?

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good post Jahrs

Romans 5:1
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mtngoat
I once heard a sermon where the preacher said that once the veil was rent that not only was man allowed inside the Holy of Holies, but now God was free to change locations to where He wanted to reside all along, the new temple of the Holy Spirit - inside all of the saints, purchased by that Most Precious Blood!

Good point. Now we can ingest the body & blood of Christ and, unless we are in a state of mortal sin, we aren't harmed by it.
That's quite a change from that poor guy that just tried to keep the Ark from tipping over!

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Always felt sorry for poor Uzzah. God sure doesn’t compromise when His Holiness and His direct commandments are at issue. Scary stuff!

<>< Brian
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is much meaning in the fact that the veil was ripped from the top down, too. The symbolism if the veil being torn in any fashion well represents the end of obligatory isolation between God and man, but the fact that it was torn from the top symbolizes the fact that it was God's doing in accordance with his will, and that man's will or efforts had nothing at all to do with it. That's something to contemplate.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Continuing with Matthew, each year I wonder about the people who arose from the dead and were seen about town. What became of them? Did they continue to live an Earthly life? Did they return to their graves after a walk-about? Were they bodily taken up to Heaven? No one ever seems to address this.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Continuing with Matthew, each year I wonder about the people who arose from the dead and were seen about town. What became of them? Did they continue to live an Earthly life? Did they return to their graves after a walk-about? Were they bodily taken up to Heaven? No one ever seems to address this.

The general consensus seems to be that people like Lazarus lived out the rest of their normal lifespans and died normally.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you're so inclined, I recommend studying what exactly the veil was made of. It weren't a little piece of fabric. Discovering the symbolism contained in just the veil is quite rewarding.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for this post Jahrs.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by antlers
Thanks for this post Jahrs.

+ + +

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by mtngoat

Could He not do that anyways?

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Sprint11
If you're so inclined, I recommend studying what exactly the veil was made of. It weren't a little piece of fabric. Discovering the symbolism contained in just the veil is quite rewarding.

Link?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 1,755 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,122
Posts18,522,927
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.