Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I know what the Swarovski can do and their customer service is top notch but I've been reading/hearing a lot of good things about Kowa but don't know much about them. Not that concerned about weight but it has to be a straight body spotter that can take a beating, of course customer service has to be very good (which is why I'm leaning Swaro) also. How good is the Kowa compared to Swarovski, all things being equal?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Ak,
A few years ago, I compared a Swarovski STX 95mm with a Kowa 884 (straight 88mm) at 1000 yards. I spent about 2 hrs. alternately looking through each scope. To my eye, the Swarovski was slightly sharper with a better depth of field (depth of focus). Yes, I know 95mm vs 88mm. I was not impressed with the dual focus on the Kowa. It just didn't seem as smooth as it should on this scope. Overall optical performance between the two is so close that it is virtually a toss- up. A consideration for hard usage would be the way that the Kowa focus knob protrudes from the scope whereas the Swaro's focus ring blends smoothly with the body of the scope. As has been stated often, the best way to make this decision is through your own eyes but that is not always practical. I've been a bit long winded! I kept the Swarovski and sent the Kowa down the road.
Good luck with your decision.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For many years when I would go watch the benchrest and cross the course shooters at the gun range, everyone had Kowa spotters at the line. You hardly ever saw anything else on the range . That told me a lot about what guys valued for spotting tiny holes at long distances. Of course, there are a lot of great choices now and it would be hard to complain about the Swarovski, but I've looked through the Zeiss big spotters and they are absolutely excellent also, along with the NIkon Field Scopes... regardless of what you get I'm pretty sure you won't be unhappy with it....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Kowa 88 is better than every Swarovski up to the 95, at a lower cost. Don't sweat the focus knob on the Kowa, I've hauled one just like it around the mountains for the last 10 years with zero issues.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's NO fhuqking way I'd buy a Spotter without either a Fixed or FFP Milscale reticle. Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Big Stick
There's NO fhuqking way I'd buy a Spotter without either a Fixed or FFP Milscale reticle. Hint...............

As a backup system to a failed laser rangefinder, or do you manually range your targets?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It will do that happily and still in 1st fhuqking gear. Hint.

More importantly,as Critters go,it will tell you EXACTLY how big sumptin' is. A tape measure works a LOT better,with a scale set upon it,as opposed to just bare steel. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

A tape measure works a LOT better,with a scale set upon it,as opposed to just bare steel.

Hell, I got one with a built-in B&C scoring system.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I sold my Swarovski and bought the Kowa. I’m pleased with that decision, yet I did like the focusing system of the Swaro better

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As a 'ring turner' Swaro guy, I could never turn myself into a 'knob twiddler'.....

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Never played with either spotter but in that price range, it's personal preference and ergonomics as the deciding factor. Not performance.
On a duck hunt we use binoculars to spot and identify ducks. Also to read posted sign info without getting out of the truck. The big three was represented along with a pair of Steiners. Passing around and trying all the binoculars for a week was a good test. Of the big three, Zeiss Victory and Swarovski EL, there was no practical difference. Guys on these two were able to identify ducks faster and pick up distant groups better.
Leica lost light just a little faster than the top two and not by much. In daylight held it's own.
Steiner was servicable but definitely lagging behind.
Moral of my story is, buying good optics makes a difference. But in the top teir, that difference is usually personal. Try to play with the scopes to see what you like.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The center focus ring on the Swaro is sometimes a bit hard to turn and will move the whole thing requiring repositioning.

The focus knob on the Kowa is more subtle and will not move anything.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
How is Kowa's customer service, do they offer cleaning services for their optics? I've been sending my Swarovski bino's in for cleanings and repairs ever since I bought them back in '98 and they've never cost me more than the price of shipping, save for this year where they had to send them to Austria to have the lenses replaced and that was only $155, hard to beat customer service like that.

Steelhead

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I wouldn’t trade my Swaro for anything.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
meopta s82, the nightforce spotter is a rebadged meopta with some spikey things on the controls. kowa may be awesome but they have never been sold in any store around me. I have never seen one.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
How is Kowa's customer service, do they offer cleaning services for their optics? I've been sending my Swarovski bino's in for cleanings and repairs ever since I bought them back in '98 and they've never cost me more than the price of shipping, save for this year where they had to send them to Austria to have the lenses replaced and that was only $155, hard to beat customer service like that.

Why would you brag on a product that needs to be sent in every year?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

I’ve got one of these and it’s amazing.

https://tractoptics.com/spotting-scopes/toric-uhd-22x80-angled-spotting-scope-with-mrad-prs-reticle

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
It will do that happily and still in 1st fhuqking gear. Hint.

More importantly,as Critters go,it will tell you EXACTLY how big sumptin' is. A tape measure works a LOT better,with a scale set upon it,as opposed to just bare steel. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Seeing we used them to size targets like vehicles and personnel, then calculated the range to target it makes perfect sense to size up game with same in one step.
Great recommendation. Makes you think about getting the most use from your gear.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I traded my Zeiss 65mm Spotter away,just to eek a FFP Reupold Gen2 Milscale. It was certainly an optical hit,but having a Ruler more than offset same. I scoured the fhuqking Planet for a Zeiss fixed milscale eyepiece(which they did make),but no joy. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Tract has nuttin' in stock,but given The World,that's not a "surprise" or a slight. Hint.................

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

Why would you brag on a product that needs to be sent in every year?
Did I say it needed to be sent it in every year? I send them in to get cleaned and they do a once over on it while it's in their possession, I don't send them in every year though. Reading comprehension seems to be a big problem around these parts.

Steelhead

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (12344mag, 21, 1234, 01Foreman400, 1Longbow, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,089 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,017
Posts18,481,625
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.