Print Thread
Hop To
K
KRAKMT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I am inclined to upgrade my universal green funnel to one of the kits or caliber specific funnels.
Has anyone tried the myriad of options?

I would like one that doesn’t wobble so much, has a low center of gravity.
I may need to upgrade my case trays also. But trying to find a funnel kit that will ride on the neck/shoulder.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

If Lee Precision was smart they would bring back their kit with two aluminum funnels……

I know that doesn’t help you but my other 6-7 wonder funnels are buried in the back of a cabinet somewhere and my Lee aluminum funnels are always on the bench.

Maybe haunt EBay…….

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I just remembered a friend has the new Lyman Brass Smith funnel kit and he likes it better than his Lee aluminum funnels.

I did immediately offer to buy his Lee funnels, but alas, he declined……

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have the kit by MK Machining, that has caliber specific fittings that screw into a funnel body.

Pros: It truly is static free, never had an issue with powder clinging to the funnel body sides. And you can make as long a drop tube as you want, by just screwing together drop tube sections. The caliber fittings that I've used are all a pretty good fit.

Cons: There occasionally seems to be a choke point somewhere in the junction of the funnel neck and caliber fitting. On a couple of occasions I have pulled off the funnel after pouring powder through into the case, only to have leftover powder sprinkle out of the funnel neck. It doesn't happen every time but has happened enough that I am paranoid, and tap the funnel a bunch after each fill. Plus the setup is made out of a black poly material and you can't see what is going on inside the funnel neck.

It works ok but I don't trust it completely after a few failures to fully drain. If you get this set I suggest making a habit of tapping the funnel on each fill.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Frankfort Arsenal is what i use. Got it many years ago and wouldn’t be without it.

Semper Fi
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
And to add to your choices, there are Satern funnels. They are about $13 each at places like Midway.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Frankfort Arsenal is what i use.

I have many funnels but none would work on a 204 Ruger..........Frankfort Arsenal works perfect

K
KRAKMT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by auk1124
I have the kit by MK Machining,

Cons: There occasionally seems to be a choke point somewhere in the junction of the funnel neck and caliber fitting. On a couple of occasions I have pulled off the funnel after pouring powder through into the case, only to have leftover powder sprinkle out of the funnel neck. It doesn't happen every time but has happened enough that I am paranoid, and tap the funnel a bunch after each fill. Plus the setup is made out of a black poly material and you can't see what is going on inside the funnel neck.

It works ok but I don't trust it completely after a few failures to fully drain. If you get this set I suggest making a habit of tapping the funnel on each fill.

Thank you for that information. I looked at MK but without buying and trying I have not seen any reasoned opinions.

I have the Satern in my midway order to try, by most accounts the work. Any experience with them being wobbly?

Frankford Arsenal has a new kit, but they are not in stock at midway. Does anyone have experience with the kit?

F
F
Area 419 has a funnel kit. Have no personal experience with it, but most of their stuff is top shelf.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Satern is what I ended up with in most calibers. Annoying how much they cost but they sit straight on pretty much every caliber and don't leak powder. At some point I just bought them for everything. I also use the 21st Century funnel when I need a drop tube. Both are hugely superior to all the plastic funnels and adaptors I've used. I haven't used the Frankfort arsenal.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just use a standard Redding funnel. I bought a few of the Satern funnels. They work, but the problem with them is that you can't swirl the charge into the case with them. As soon as the powder hits the funnel, it just tumbles in. I swirl mine so I get a better case fill. I'm not averse to spending money on good equipment either, as I have both a Sinclair and a K&M primer seating tools.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by FC363
I just use a standard Redding funnel. I bought a few of the Satern funnels. They work, but the problem with them is that you can't swirl the charge into the case with them. As soon as the powder hits the funnel, it just tumbles in. I swirl mine so I get a better case fill. I'm not averse to spending money on good equipment either, as I have both a Sinclair and a K&M primer seating tools.

This is true. I usually touch the cases with a $5 vibrating toothbrush to settle the powder when needed. But, whatever works.

K
KRAKMT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by fester77
Area 419 has a funnel kit. Have no personal experience with it, but most of their stuff is top shelf.

It pops up a lot.
It and the precision hardcore. Both shinny anodizing, but wondering how well they work.

V
V
The Area 419 are WAY better than the Satern. WAY BETTER. I have both types and the Satern live in the junk box now.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have the entire set of precision-hardcore-gear.com powder funnels. It is what you seek.

Last edited by Reloder28; 04/24/22.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
K
KRAKMT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Midway sent a fee shipping coupon yesterday so I ordered the 419 set.

I could not tell if the precision hardcore funnel mouth size was too small?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by KRAKMT

The funnel mouth will contain a silver dollar. They are all the same size. Only the exit hole is different. I have no aversion to 419. It was not available when I made my purchase in 2008.

Last edited by Reloder28; 04/26/22.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
K
KRAKMT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by KRAKMT

The funnel mouth will contain a silver dollar. They are all the same size. Only the exit hole is different. I have no aversion to 419. It was not available when I made my purchase in 2008.

I am sure I was not clear.
I was referring to the top port of the funnel, the pics make it [precision hardcore] look small.

I may try several. I am surprised no one on internet has done a consumer report.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,651 guests, and 1,368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,948
Posts18,480,351
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.