Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
The Super X1 was not back bored, just an FYI. The back bored models started at the Super X2 line.
In the Browning line, I think the back bored models started with the Gold Hunter as far as the semi auto goes.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
GB1

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm not an Invector Choke fan.....

The Browning Invector choke came from the screw in Win Choke first succesful screw in choke system.....they actually interchange....problem is theyre interchanging in guns with dufferent bore sizes.

Then Browning lengthened it and called it Invector Plus and Winchester tagged along with them.....interchangeable chokes that work in two different bores sizes.

Here's the problem the choke diameter that works good in one bore diameter might not in the other.

I've owned a lot of Win choked and invectror and invector plus guns they worked okay for target shooting.

In the end they suckered alot of people into shooting fAiry dust and choking is not that big of an issue when you're throwing hundreds of tiny little balls at a piece of paper.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Bore size most definitely affects the choke, why we pattern with different chokes. I tried to find out how much the 20ga is backbored, or what its bore dimension is. All I can find are 12ga. dimensions, but not done looking. Does Inv + automatically mean it's backbored? No matter the gauge?

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I am not a big fan of the Win/Invector either. I think it was way too short and to abrupt to give a nice even pattern. Yes you can go to an extended choke and this does help but the Invector Plus choke was a big step in the right direction. By the time Browning came out with the Invector Plus choke (which was done for the back bored barrel with a diameter of .745 vs a standard bore diameter of .729) Browning owned Winchester.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

I'm betting Browning and Winchesters are still two different bores sizes running the same choke systems.

Dean I've never heard mention of a back bored 20 ga....all that back bored crap was more a selling point than a performance point.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I know that Browning has been back boring the O/U's and their 20 ga auto for years.
I will go see if I have some regular Invector chokes and be back in a minute with the bore diameter for the 20's as I don't know them off the top of my head like I do the 12's.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just checked and there is .012 difference in the bore diameter for an Win and a Invector Plus. The bore of a Winchester is .623 diameter and the bore of a Browning Invector Plus barrel is .635 diameter. I checked the chokes as well and they show the same .012 difference at the chamber end of the choke.
This is a sample size of one gun each and 3 chokes for each but it was very consistent from choke to choke.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
"As before, chokes are Invector Plus, and the barrel is mildly back-bored and internally hard-chromed"

This is per the link you posted.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
The only one NOT saying it's backbored is Winchester! Lol! The only backbore dimensions I can find on the Winchester site are 12ga dimensions of .742"

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

IC B3

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I didn't read the link I just posted it for Dean.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks LFC, I did read that "review". I think it's interesting that gun writers are saying the 20 gauge is backbored, but no such claim by Winchester that I can find.

NRA life member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pullit
I am not a big fan of the Win/Invector either. I think it was way too short and to abrupt to give a nice even pattern.

That's my issue with Beretta/Benelli Mobil Choke system, which my Super Nova has. It patterns okay.

I like the Invector Plus system, but Brownings Invector DS on their Citoris and A5 do pattern better. The DS are very long tubes. My A5 with a DS full with a full choke with pattern better, nore evenly and a little denser, than my Maxus II with the Invector Plus.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree with LFC on this one, "back bored" doesn't mean much. II think the trend really started when Mossberg put "10 gauge barrels" on their 835 UltiMag. Those barrels really are oversized. But Browning's "back bored" barrels are only have a little bigger inner diameter than their older non-backbored barrels. The Browning backbored barrels are still way smaller than the Mossberg backbored barrels.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 02/25/22.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I still have not figured out why a Mossy 835 with the oversized barrel is the hardest kicking thing I believe I have ever shot in a 12 ga shotgun. It has to be in the stock fit, but everyone I know says the same thing. It kicks like a rented mule.
I had a 935 and it has the same barrel dim. and yes I know it is a gas gun vs a pump but it was not bad at all to shoot.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Coin toss for me between a Mossberg 835 and a Benelli Super Nova for which one kicks harder with a 3-1/2" 2-1/4oz turkey load. I've had them both and gotten rid of both. The Benelli might have a slight edge though, it kicked hard enough that I gave it to a guy I didn't like! Literally! Haha!

NRA life member

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have not shot a Benelli Nova in 12 ga, and it sounds like I don't need nor want to.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Coin toss for me between a Mossberg 835 and a Benelli Super Nova for which one kicks harder with a 3-1/2" 2-1/4oz turkey load. I've had them both and gotten rid of both. The Benelli might have a slight edge though, it kicked hard enough that I gave it to a guy I didn't like! Literally! Haha!

As far as ACTUAL ft/lbs of free recoil using identical loads, the Mossberg recoils a whisker more because its a wee bit lighter than the Super Nova. I never found either of them to be super hateful to shoot. But stock design as it relates to individual fit has a WHOLE LOT to do with FELT recoil.

Across all the 835's and Super Novas I've worked with, I'd take the Benelli, hands down. Both guns feel cheap. But the 835's feel like a 4x4 deckpost in my hands. And across the board, the Novas have ALL patterned better than the Mossbergs.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
For whatever reason, leaving ALL science out of it, after shooting the Benelli I thought I had loosened every tooth in my head! Lol!

NRA life member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the 12 gauge version of this gun that I've yet to fire. I have an Indian Creek .665" I plan to try first with TSS 8s.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,932
Posts18,518,954
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.