Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Julio Cesar Chavez is the toughest boxer of our generation. Even the best boxers in his weight class didn't want to fight him because he couldn't be hurt,...and he hit *hard*.

When he was in his prime, everybody knew that to fight Julio Cesar Chavez was to take a lot of punishment. Regardless of how many times they hit him, they couldn't hurt him.

If it was a 12 round fight, his opponent either got knocked out or got beat up for 12 rounds.

That was the only two options they had.

Chavez had something close to a hundred undefeated fights in a row. Pretty astounding record.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The heavy weights of the time were true heavy weights and talented.

Joe Frazier has to have been one of the flat out toughest men that ever got in the ring.

Clay was probably the best. I did not like him but give him his due.

Foreman with that tremendous power ......if he could only have become disciplined early in his career.

And at the lighter weight classes - Sugar Ray, Hagler, Hearns - some amazing talent

J
jaytee Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
The glory days of boxing were a little before my time but I can remember enough to have watched some and heard about more from my grandpas. Thomas The Hitman Hearns, Marvelous Marvin, Durand, and Leonard. My grandpas disliked Leonard’s showboating with a passion. One liked Hearns for being a MI product of the other was a “stone hands Durand” fan.

Both my grandparents blamed Ali for making boxing a pay per view sport and wrecking its popularity. I can remember talking about Mike Tyson and Buster Douglas at school and Sunday school when I was about 12. Unfortunately kids today don’t follow it at all.

My friends and I all boxed one another as kids with camcorders rolling to record KO’s. I had an uncle that boxed in the Navy and a buddy that’s brother did golden gloves. Me and a buddy spared at a local gym but that was about it. Nobody talks about “the sweet science” anymore.

I know what you mean, it was very popular when I was in elementary school and on up through high school which was from about 1968 till I graduated in '79 and then it carried on I guess until Tyson came on the scene and it kind of had a flurry of new interest because he was such a force! Nobody had ever seen anything like him. But man those Ali/Frazier fights and the Ali/Forman fights were just epic!! If you were to ask me today who is the heavyweight champ, hell I couldn't even tell you who any heavyweight boxer was, let alone the champ!

J
jaytee Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Lorne
The heavy weights of the time were true heavy weights and talented.

Joe Frazier has to have been one of the flat out toughest men that ever got in the ring.

Clay was probably the best. I did not like him but give him his due.

Foreman with that tremendous power ......if he could only have become disciplined early in his career.

And at the lighter weight classes - Sugar Ray, Hagler, Hearns - some amazing talent
et

Oh for sure. Heck I was just thinking about how good the heavyweight fights were but those battles in the middleweight or whatever they were classified at between Hagler, Hearns and Leonard were just as exciting. It truly was the best time to be a sports fan in general and a boxing fan in particular!!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 673
George Foreman.

this in Foreman`s day no one could stand and box with him , Haglar was cheated in his last fight Sugar Ray never won the championship fight that was B.S.

Last edited by pete53; 04/21/22.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by 673
George Foreman.

this in Foreman`s day no one could stand and box with him , Haglar was cheated in his last fight Sugar Ray never won the championship fight that was B.S.

Big George Foreman
81 fights
76 wins
68 KO
5 losses
1968 Olympic gold medal.
Fought from 67-97.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by 673
George Foreman.

Big George Foreman
81 fights
76 wins
68 KO
5 losses
1968 Olympic gold medal.
Fought from 67-97.

You left off the badass Grille

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by 673
George Foreman.

Big George Foreman
81 fights
76 wins
68 KO
5 losses
1968 Olympic gold medal.
Fought from 67-97.

You left off the badass Grille

I have one LOL grin

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by longarm
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Julio Cesar Chavez is the toughest boxer of our generation. Even the best boxers in his weight class didn't want to fight him because he couldn't be hurt,...and he hit *hard*.

When he was in his prime, everybody knew that to fight Julio Cesar Chavez was to take a lot of punishment. Regardless of how many times they hit him, they couldn't hurt him.

If it was a 12 round fight, his opponent either got knocked out or got beat up for 12 rounds.

That was the only two options they had.

Chavez had something close to a hundred undefeated fights in a row. Pretty astounding record.

The match between Chavez and Meldrick Taylor is probably one of the best illustration of Chavez's toughness ever seen.

Meldrick Taylor seemed to dominate the fight through the first 10 rounds. For every punch Chavez landed, he took 3 or 4. Yet he wasn't hurt by Taylor's punches but Chavez's punches were slowly taking a toll on Taylor.

By the 11th round Taylor's eyes were almost swelled shut and he was punched out. Despite all the punches Chavez had taken he was still alert and hitting hard.

Chavez saw that Taylor was worn down in the 12th round and got very methodical,...knocked him down and out.

The call was extremely controversial, but the bottom line is, at the end of the fight Chavez had a small cut on the bridge of his nose and Taylor had brain damage.

Taylor was beaten to a pulp and Chavez looked like he could go another 5 rounds,...and Chavez had taken 3X as many punches as he had landed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ali saved by the bell, and further machinations by Angelo Dundee.

Sir Henry Cooper, a British icon, retired with his brains intact 😎

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
The glory days of boxing were a little before my time but I can remember enough to have watched some and heard about more from my grandpas. Thomas The Hitman Hearns, Marvelous Marvin, Durand, and Leonard. My grandpas disliked Leonard’s showboating with a passion. One liked Hearns for being a MI product of the other was a “stone hands Durand” fan.

Both my grandparents blamed Ali for making boxing a pay per view sport and wrecking its popularity. I can remember talking about Mike Tyson and Buster Douglas at school and Sunday school when I was about 12. Unfortunately kids today don’t follow it at all.

My friends and I all boxed one another as kids with camcorders rolling to record KO’s. I had an uncle that boxed in the Navy and a buddy that’s brother did golden gloves. Me and a buddy spared at a local gym but that was about it. Nobody talks about “the sweet science” anymore.

Dang you're a whippersnapper.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
AS much as I am a fan of Ali, Cooper cleaned his clock with that left and had it not been for that glove bullshit, he would have lost sure.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (Akhutr, beefan, 358wsm, 2500HD, bosshoff, 13 invisible), 1,380 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,924
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.