Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by 158XTP
Originally Posted by sidepass
John Williamson wrote the article. My mind is slipping, but 4,200 ft-lb more energy is simply amazing, when that’s about what factory ft-lbs are (I think) and all because of straight walls and sharp shoulders.
I guess it’s because the new case is more efficient.

Confused here ,are you saying 4,200 ft-lbs more energy over the standard 375 H&H?

If he is it means 8500ftlbs from an improved 375H&H. lol. 460 weatherby power.

Also thats a 100%, not 34% gain.

And a 400fps gain gets you about a 60% gain in energy , not either previous figure of 34 or 100...

No article could be that gooned up , surely.

That was what was written in the article - 4,200 more ft-lbs in energy! However, the charts he had shown wasn't as impressive.

I'm just bubbly that I have a "Big Enough" cartridge rifle to handle any ferocious beasts that might come onto my yard here in Northeastern South Dakota!

Has to be a misprint ,maybe several. Apart from the crazy claim of a 375 DOUBLING power with an improved case, which is a 100% increase, he then says 34% increase ...and quotes 400+ fps ...which is 60% increase.

Apart from the worst case of exaggeration in a gun article ever, the guy doesnt appear to have a command of basic numeracy.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John Williamson wrote the article. My mind is slipping, but 4,200 ft-lb more energy is simply amazing, when that’s about what factory ft-lbs are (I think) and all because of straight walls and sharp shoulders.

Confused here ,are you saying 4,200 ft-lbs more energy over the standard 375 H&H?

And a 400fps gain gets you about a 60% gain in energy , not either previous figure of 34 or 100...

That was what was written in the article - 4,200 more ft-lbs in energy! However, the charts he had shown wasn't as impressive.

I'm just bubbly that I have a "Big Enough" cartridge rifle to handle any ferocious beasts that might come onto my yard here in Northeastern South Dakota!

Has to be a misprint ,maybe several. Apart from the crazy claim of a 375 DOUBLING power with an improved case, which is a 100% increase, he then says 34% increase ...and quotes 400+ fps ...which is 60% increase.

Apart from the worst case of exaggeration in a gun article ever, the guy doesnt appear to have a command of basic numeracy.

Maybe it was a 375 Creedmoor?

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

Maybe it was a 375 Creedmoor?

^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^ 😂 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"This article was reprinted in one of my books."
Mule Deer: If you can recall do you remember which book or or which HANDLOADER? I missed it. I also have not been able to locate the National Geographic article about the largest roadless area in the lower 48 that generated the apoplexy in the Nat Geo fact checker. If it is too much work I totally understand. Thanks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bluefish
But what does 400 fps get you but more range? Energy doesn't kill. Bullets destroying tissue and causing cessation of brain function is what kills.

"Energy doesn't kill." Really???

Energy can be defined as "the capacity for doing work or transferring force." Energy is function of velocity squared, so increasing the bullet velocity by 400 fps woutd increase that bullet's energy by a factor of 160,000!

An idle bullet just sitting somewhere has no velocity and no energy. As long as it has no velocity, therefore no energy, it will not do any work, and it will not destroy any tissue or cause the cessation of any brain function.

The .375 caliber hunting cartridges, and especially shooting round or flat nose bullets, were designed to produce maximum destruction of animal tissue at close range on large dangerous game animals. It was not designed as a long range cartridge. Improving that cartridge that increases it's velocity by 400 fps is done, not to increase it's range, but to increase the bullet's energy for deeper bullet penetration and increased tissue damage.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Under that line of thinking why do so many African nations exempt the lowly 9.3x62 which has considerably less energy yet kills so well? Why can one kill a Cape Buffalo with an arrow producing very little energy comparatively? The person with the most African experience currently I know of is the Sheik who owns AR. He has stated in print numerous times he sees no difference in killing power between his wildcat 375 and the H&H. So no, in and of itself energy does not kill. The bullet kills and it simply has to be gotten to vital organs. I think there are too many variables in play to simply claim more energy = greater killing power.

The way life should be.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

QUOTE:
It was not designed as a long range cartridge. Improving that cartridge that increases it's velocity by 400 fps is done, not to increase it's range, but to increase the bullet's energy for deeper bullet penetration and increased tissue damage.

Really! 😂 So, additional velocity doesn’t flatten trajectory and provide less wind drift……making long range shooting a bit easier and more effective!

So, giving the 30-30, the additional velocities such as the 30-06, 300 Weatherby, 300 Rum is for the benefit of additional energy? Tell me more! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by bobmn
"This article was reprinted in one of my books."
Mule Deer: If you can recall do you remember which book or or which HANDLOADER? I missed it. I also have not been able to locate the National Geographic article about the largest roadless area in the lower 48 that generated the apoplexy in the Nat Geo fact checker. If it is too much work I totally understand. Thanks.

Actually I was mistaken. The entire article was not reprinted, but Charley Sisk's data for the .300 WSM/.300 H&H experiment was reprinted as part of Chapter 41 in the first GUN GACK book, "Holland & Holland's Super-Thirty." It's the last piece of data in the list of handloads. Some of the info in the article also came from the articlr.

My National Geographic article on the Missouri Breaks appeared in the May 1999 issue.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, there have benn a LOT of claims about magic shoulder angles, etc., over the decades.

But a few years ago I contacted the head ballistic techs at several piezo pressure labs, asking whether they'd encountered any magic velocity results from different case shape. ALL gave me an emphatic NO: The same powder capacity resulted in the same pressure/velocity, no matter the case. But they did say they found shorter, sharper-shouldered cases did tend to result in more consistent pressures and velocities

In fact, Charlie Sisk ran an experiment which I reported on in HANDLOADER years ago. The .300 H&H and .300 WSM have very similar powder capacities, and he ran strain-gauge, velocity and accuracy tests with a 26" heavy barrel he chambered in .300 H&H in his indoor 100-yard range.

Then he rechambered the same barrel in .300 WSM, setting it back a little for the shorter cartridge--but keeping the throat-length as close to the same as possible. Not only did the same powder/bullet combinations get just about the same velocity and pressure, but the same combos tended to result in the best accuracy.

This article was reprinted in one of my books.

This is always good stuff to be reminded of.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

What bullets are rated for that inside of 200 yards?

GR

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You need to experiment with duplex loads like old Elmer did, using a small copper tube to carry primer spark to front of charge, then you will improve things. whistle

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Front ignition? I've read about this.

The way life should be.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
MD thanks for the info.

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Regarding Load Data, I see they have those loads from that old Rifle article. Be careful what you use when getting stuff off the internet or in print.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
It's called a 378 Weatherby..

Or a 375 Weatherby.......

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just posted this in big bore forum:

I took my 375 H&H AI out to my range today, with a couple of loads using FC Nickel plated 375 brass:

85 grains IMR 4350 and 300 grain Hornady
82 grains RE 15 and Speer 235
Primers were 215's.

Both these loads are a little warmer than halfway between starting and maximum, I believe. My stand-up shooting bench is at 50 meters from the target. I was happy to see that both loads hit nearly the same POI. The 235 grain load shot about 3/4" and the 300 grain load shot about 6/10" groups. Center of the groups were less than 1/2" apart.

Some people complain about recoil on the 375 H&H AI (375Weatherby) and I don't understand that. Since it doesn't kick that bad. I could not handle 400 grain Rigby loads loaded near 416 Weatherby velocity - I am not immune to recoil. Those Rigby loads gave me instant headache! Sure I wouldn't want to shot that 375 all day from the sit down bench, but the recoil is greatly exaggerated, in my opinion….

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I just posted this in big bore forum:

I took my 375 H&H AI out to my range today, with a couple of loads using FC Nickel plated 375 brass:

85 grains IMR 4350 and 300 grain Hornady
82 grains RE 15 and Speer 235
Primers were 215's.

Both these loads are a little warmer than halfway between starting and maximum, I believe. My stand-up shooting bench is at 50 meters from the target. I was happy to see that both loads hit nearly the same POI. The 235 grain load shot about 3/4" and the 300 grain load shot about 6/10" groups. Center of the groups were less than 1/2" apart.

Some people complain about recoil on the 375 H&H AI (375Weatherby) and I don't understand that. Since it doesn't kick that bad. I could not handle 400 grain Rigby loads loaded near 416 Weatherby velocity - I am not immune to recoil. Those Rigby loads gave me instant headache! Sure I wouldn't want to shot that 375 all day from the sit down bench, but the recoil is greatly exaggerated, in my opinion….

Rifle weight certainly plays into the recoil equation, but you are quite correct…….recoil is not bad! I also agree…..I wouldn’t want to shoot from the bench all day. 20 to 30 in one day from the bench is plenty! memtb

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Not quite:
The .375 Weatherby Magnum (9.5×73mmB) is a medium-bore rifle cartridge. The cartridge is blown out, improved and provided with the Weatherby double radius ...
Bullet diameter: .375 in (9.5 mm)
Shoulder diameter: .492 in (12.5 mm)
Case length: 2.860 in (72.6 mm)
Neck diameter: .402 in (10.2 mm)

The .378 Weatherby Magnum was designed by Roy Weatherby in 1953. It was an original belted magnum design with no parent case, inspired by the .416 Rigby and headspacing of the belted .375 H&H Magnum. The 215 magnum rifle primer was developed by Federal specifically for this round. The cartridge can hold upwards of 7.13 g (120 gr) of powder.

Last edited by Huntz; 04/28/22.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by buffybr
[quote=bluefish]
Energy can be defined as "the capacity for doing work or transferring force." Energy is function of velocity squared, so increasing the bullet velocity by 400 fps would increase that bullet's energy by a factor of 160,000!

Respectfully Sir, no it would not. Not even close. We can use the nice round numbers Sierra provides in their latest load manual for the 375 H&H and the 375 RUM, with their pre-computed energy numbers to save us a lot of math.
The 375 H&H pushed a 300 grain bullet to 2500 FPS for 4163 foot pounds ME.
The 375 RUM pushed a 300 grain bullet to 2900 FPS for 5601 foot pounds ME.
This is the same 400 FPS increase claimed in the referenced article but increases ME by a factor of only 1.34, not 160,000. No offense intended just had to point out the error in applying the straight squared function that way.
Not trying to take Mathman's place here, I never could...
Cheers,
Rex

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 257_X_50

Or a 375 Weatherby.......

The 375 Weatherby is pretty much an AI version , the 378 is an entirely different animal

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (35, 41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 10 invisible), 1,475 guests, and 879 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,312
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.