Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
To be fair the one I shot was an old one. It was strange shooting it. I was shooting off a good rest and could see the hits on paper in the scope as I was shooting. And it was all over the place on paper and reticle was still on the 1" square. Never have shot anything that bad.

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
To be fair the one I shot was an old one. It was strange shooting it. I was shooting off a good rest and could see the hits on paper in the scope as I was shooting. And it was all over the place on paper and reticle was still on the 1" square. Never have shot anything that bad.

It’s possible the rifle wasn’t totally at fault. Mine bounced a 2-7 Hawke around pretty badly, enough that it lost zero in very short order and a set of Leupold QRWs, properly torqued, shook loose in about 10 rounds, maybe less. The SWFA on mine is in Burris Sig rings with everything gooped up good and snugged up to spec or maybe a scootch over. Time will tell…

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
My mini is minute of milk jug at 7 yards

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had an older one, pre 90s .223 and have a newer one .223 serial prefix 584 which I don't believe is all that old. I don't see much difference in accuracy or lack of it in the old and new of the two I've owned. To me the 100 yard accuracy isn't good enough with a scope to give up the way it handles without it, .

It might be improved with bedding, etc but from what I've read don't know if it would be enough to make it worth the effort..Despite the not great accuracy I still like it. It goes bang every time and will keep ten shots inside a 12" circle at 100 yards using the receiver sights with some kind of rest.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Mine has a factory peep sight and I wouldn’t bother scoping it either

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Forgot to add that the new prices are out to lunch. Mini 14 is a 569 to 689 dollar rig max for what you get. IMO.

Last edited by bmoney; 02/07/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Mine has a factory peep sight and I wouldn’t bother scoping it either

I’ve been trying scopes to evaluate ammo choices, but problems keeping them together have pretty much thwarted that. When I first got it I mounted a SWFA 6x for a bit, but I’m definitely not toting that around. The 1-4 is a good fit, though still not light and handy. I may go back to the Cyclops eventually, which is only about 9oz and rock solid, plus I can shoot it without glasses, which ain’t happening with irons at 70.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've only owned two newer ones and they were both about 2 moa, which was good enough for me.

I think it is just inherent to that garand style of stock/action interface. Most of them flop around in the stock pretty good before you tighten the trigger guard down and the tension on the middle of the barrel changes as the action moves in the stock. The three M1A's I owned didn't shoot any better than my minis... in fact two of them shot much worse (3-4 moa) until they were bedded. Bedding in a stiff stock got one of my M1A's down to 3/4 moa, the other down to about 1.25 moa. But even the more accurate one would sometimes throw a weird flier.

Replacing the gas port really helps, maybe not for accuracy, but for general shoot-ability. If you want more accuracy, bed it with some tension on the barrel.

Also they are hell on scopes, like everyone says.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I bought several of the old models trying to find accurate one for a Coyote calling rig in the 1980’s. The “accuracy” of all of them was abysmal.
Killed a lot of coyotes with them at the Ranch though. Most were good for a 3” group from the first two shots. After that, you were damn lucky to get an 8” To 12” 5 shot group.
The only one that I owned that was actually accurate was a Mini-30 version. And of course, it’s the same rifle, but in the 7.62x39 caliber.

Finally gave up on them and bought a my first AR-15 about 1990. It was a Colt 6920 M-4 Carbine.
Even with open sights, it was much more accurate than a damn Mini-14.
Ordered the first Les Baer AR-15 I could get in the 1990’s.
By far the most accurate rifle I’ve ever owned. Bar none.
It would put 5 shots in one ragged hole at 100 yards damn near every time if I did my part.
Personally, you couldn’t give me another Mini-14. At any price.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 02/07/22.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
verns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
Well that is some good experience ! 243 shooters comment about what is gained by the scope is not worth the handling disadvantage ! Something about a rifle without a scope that makes it come to life ! Thanks to all and Blessings too verns

“To account nothing of one's self, and to think always kindly and highly of others, this is great and perfect wisdom.”
― Thomas à Kempis, The Imitation of Christ
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If you still want one, your best bet is buying a recent model used one that someone has tuned up a little. You won't lose money if you decide to sell it. There's a mini-14 forum with a weird name, maybe keep an eye on the classifieds there.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I bought several of the old models trying to find accurate one for a Coyote calling rig in the 1980’s. The “accuracy” of all of them was abysmal.
Killed a lot of coyotes with them at the Ranch though. Most were good for a 3” group from the first two shots. After that, you were damn lucky to get an 8” To 12” 5 shot group.

Bought one in 1992. This ^^^^^ was my experience as well. Will never own another.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got to thinking about this thread and in light of the almost unanimous experiences here and elsewhere re Mini 14 "accuracy" why try to spend a lot of time, effort and money trying to make it something it's not. I ordered a Burris FastFire III red dot. Since I like the rifle and most of my Mini 14 shooting is not much further than 100 yards what the hell.

V
verns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
43 Shooter ,thanks and that is a good option ,I have never used one .I will probably just use the sighs it comes with . My use would be in the timber and usually under 100 yds. I have several very accurate bolt rifles . I think the mini would fill a gap in my stable !

“To account nothing of one's self, and to think always kindly and highly of others, this is great and perfect wisdom.”
― Thomas à Kempis, The Imitation of Christ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Got to thinking about this thread and in light of the almost unanimous experiences here and elsewhere re Mini 14 "accuracy" why try to spend a lot of time, effort and money trying to make it something it's not. I ordered a Burris FastFire III red dot. Since I like the rifle and most of my Mini 14 shooting is not much further than 100 yards what the hell.

They are easy to like, for what they are., which to me is a tough, handy, reasonably powerful carbine, sort of a levergun alternative. If I decide to go back to the Cyclops, I’ll put that nifty SWFA1-4 on my 10/22. Got it on sale for only $300, which was a real steal.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have a 300 blackout Mini 14
Factory Barrel
Cheap Cabelas Scope

I had it 3-point bedded, trigger job, accu strut, recoil buffer
It is picky w ammo, tried several

Shoots 1.5” 10 shot groups all day long with Western Ammo 220g subsonic
And same w a couple other factory loads, 1.5”

As for hand loads:
It sat in the safe for a while, I took it out w some 110g super sonic hand loads I perfected, shot a 3shot cloverleaf on the first 3 shots right on bull, that target hung on my wall in the office for a while

Shoots better than my m1a that I keep dumping money into

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Yeah, the Mini isn’t exactly a prairie dog’n rig. A quick, easy to get into action carbine it is. And no need for a charging handle ( Kyle testimony)…

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two months with the red dot. Never shot one before but so far glad I got it. After reading reviews on the Bushnell TRS 25 and seeing one at the range I ended up returning the unopened Burris Fastfire and getting the Bushnell TRS 25 for a whole lot less money. The TRS 25 is mounted on the OEM Ruger rail on the front of the receiver and is just high enough that I can use it without removing the receiver Tech Sight or front sight. I'm not shooting groups with it but I can hit a 12" metal plate at 100 yards ten out of ten shots faster than I could with the receiver sight and under 25 yards I can hit stuff with both eyes open. If something goes wrong with it I can remove it and the receiver Tech Sight is still usable without having to take off the rail.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 04/22/22.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (260Remguy, 1minute, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,424
Posts18,489,150
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.