Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
CRS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am looking to to downsize from my 27 foot toy hauler/camper. Boys are gone and simply do not need that big of a camper anymore.

Would like to get a 18-22 foot toy hauler that is designed for more rugged use?
Closest thing I have found is a Black Series 19ft. But they are expensive. $$$$$$
Is any US manufacturer making such a thing?

Have been searching internet and you tube with no luck. What says everyone?

If I cannot find anything, I am going to have to go the enclosed trailer route and modify accordingly. I did use one a long time ago basically as a tent on wheels. Then the boys showed up and wife wanted a little more comfort.

Arcus Venator
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not seen any toy haulers trimmed down to that size. Seems they'd be a little short or living space.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We sold our camper ( too flimsy for our off road camp trips) and plan to buy a 8'x16' enclosed trailer and mod it. It will carry the UTV and have a few essentals such as batteries, lighting, vent fans, etc to accomodate sleeping/camping. I too can't see spending that kind of $$$ on a camper. All I need is something to haul the toys and a place to sleep and get out of the weather.

CRS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Our camper has been very good camping off grid and getting around the Black Hills and Bighorns. If I could simply knock 5-6 feet off the back it would be perfect.

Do not need the toy hauler aspect so much. Just love having the ramp to load/unload stuff.

Have hauled the sxs a few times, and those were not really necessary. Now it sits mostly at the ranch for use out there.

Fully loaded it is right at my 1/2 ton diesel's towing capacity of 9000lbs. Truck handles it fine, not towing it all over he country, 2-300 miles maximum trips. Talking with some people in the know. The 9K rating came from all the extra insulation in the engine compartment to speed warm up. The newer model are all rated at 12K. Have never had a problem with engine or transmission overheating. Even in 100 degree weather. Just have to drive appropriately and use common sense.

It even has an aux gas tank with pump. Used it twice on extended hunting trips when I had a gasser tow vehicle. Nice not having to run into town for fill ups.

Best plan would be to keep it, but like the idea of dropping a few thousand pounds of weight if possible. Checking to see what else is out there.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am by no means an expert, though having looked a little at the black series, the only other trailers on the road(never been in one) that have caught my eye are Geo Pros. I don’t think they are nearly the trailers that the Black Series are, but they did seem to offer some of the off pavement capabilities that the BS trailers do.

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
No experience with KZ brand RV's but they have a 21 footer with a ramp.

[Linked Image from kz-rv.com]

https://www.kz-rv.com/products/sportsmen-classic-travel-trailers/

They also have models with a large upswing hatch on the back. This Escape series says it have an available off road package.

https://www.kz-rv.com/products/escape-travel-trailers/

Super small 12 footer

http://www.xplorcampers.com/xth-toy-hauler-12-.html

EDIT: Article with a few different options for small toy haulers. Hope this helps!

https://www.rvingknowhow.com/small-toy-haulers/

Last edited by dSmith_45; 04/24/22. Reason: added info
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The big thing for "off roaders" as I understand it, is to be light and have more suspension travel. With a single point hitch torsional strength does not seem like it should be an issue unless you are maxing out suspension travel. washboard in and pothole jarring are another matter.

How is value retention on a camper vs. How much would you lose by modifying vs. What would it cost you to custom build what you want... You could play "three card monty" with yourself all day on that one... Would you enjoy the project and could you realistically complete it in time to use it this season or is it better to list it an plan the project for next season.. That is a key question...

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 04/24/22.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have the pursue. Intech builds high quality trailers with great components. I took it thru some nasty stuff in Georgia in January and the limitations come from whatever you’re towing with.
The only negative I found in mine is the frame has small triangle shaped fenders below the side door. Mud thrown from my tires landed on it and I had to remove it to open the door. Other than that it towed great, all dometic appliances, superb awning system, all aluminum construction.

https://intech.com/rv/

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hunter4623; 04/24/22. Reason: Pics
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CRS
I am looking to to downsize from my 27 foot toy hauler/camper. Boys are gone and simply do not need that big of a camper anymore.

Would like to get a 18-22 foot toy hauler that is designed for more rugged use?
Closest thing I have found is a Black Series 19ft. But they are expensive. $$$$$$
Is any US manufacturer making such a thing?

Have been searching internet and you tube with no luck. What says everyone?

If I cannot find anything, I am going to have to go the enclosed trailer route and modify accordingly. I did use one a long time ago basically as a tent on wheels. Then the boys showed up and wife wanted a little more comfort.

I wouldn't expect any of the standard RVs that have all terrain tires to stand up well to serious offroad use. Black Series actually builds there RVs for offroad use.

The sub 20' toy haulers won't likely have enough space for your SxS. This is an example of a common small TH floor plan. https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/rockwood-geo-pro/G19FBTH/5685

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
One nice "plus" of a ramp is that with a pair of jack stands you have your own built in porch. Add some sheer/tight scrim material with little magnets glued on and you can sleep without the bugs getting into your living space. Total cost of the magnetic screen ~$10.00.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
not sure about a smaller toy hauler but OutdoorsRV makes good offroad campers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lance 1985 with their optional 7” suspension lift. Taken it into rugged areas.

Twin torsion axels. Added a 100 watt solar panel and charge controller , 20ft of lead so you can just set it out in the sun.

https://www.lancecamper.com/travel-trailers/1985/

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Although this is not a toy hauler by any means of course

Had this custom ordered/built July '20/July '21...yes 12 month lead time..the 'Topo1'

Built in Coalville Utah just south of I 80....three hours north of Podunk

Well equipped using quality components...fully galvanized frame to start

Dual deep cell batteries...1000 watt inverter.....100 watt solar panel...free ride off road suspension...electric brakes

I used my own tire/wheel pkg...Cooper ST Maxx LT265-75x16's on Vision wheels...articulating hitch

Dometic fridge....21 gallon water tank...on demand hot water & shower.....Propex heater etc.....

20" plus ground clearance....will tow easily anywhere the truck will go...KOA's not on the list.....

https://escapod.us/order-now/topo-series/

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hauling toys is why we have a 3/4 ton long bed pickup for a 23' camp trailer. I have a 50" Polaris RZR that fits in the back of the pickup. If you have ATV's, you can put 2 crosswise on a bed-top rack.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by tikkanut

That is a nice setup. It really illustrates that get what it takes to go off road you have to be willing to compromise somewhat.
That A-frame wheel spindle set up is new to me. It looks to keep the ride height lower while being able to use the A-frames as skidder plates in a pinch.
I hate tortion springs on any pull behind.

The issue with standard designed campers is the higher the ground clearance goes (drop spindles or spring overs) so goes the roof and roof mounted units. If your not dragging the bottom then your knocking stuff loose on the top with tree limbs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Many RV's have dropped axles. It doesn't cost all that much to replace a dropped axle with a straight one. It'll give you about 4" more ground clearance.You'll have to adjust the ball mount on the tow vehicle to keep it level, though.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by tikkanut

]

You could add shackle mounted drag links to the underside of that And literally skid the camper over anything you could take your vehicle over.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

After a very wet night, that flooded out many others, i was high and dry, Full kitchen, water, heat, Queen bed,

Close it up put my 4 wheeler on the roof, hook it to my jeep and away I go, Rio7

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RIO7

After a very wet night, that flooded out many others, i was high and dry, Full kitchen, water, heat, Queen bed,

Close it up put my 4 wheeler on the roof, hook it to my jeep and away I go, Rio7

That looks cool. Got any pics of it packed up?

CRS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thank you for all the replies and ideas. Exactly the kind of input I was looking for.

Trying to stay away from tiny/teardrop campers. Should clarify that I am looking for a camper that can handle gravel and open logging roads better than a glamping model. Off grid capable of course.

I bought a solar panel many years ago to keep my two gel batteries charged. Have a catalytic heater installed, along with a furnace for use when I have electricity access.

Back to research.....

Arcus Venator
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 48 invisible), 2,449 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,834
Posts18,478,050
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.