-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
https://www.science.org/content/article/why-536-was-worst-year-be-alive?

Ask medieval historian Michael McCormick what year was the worst to be alive, and he's got an answer: "536." Not 1349, when the Black Death wiped out half of Europe. Not 1918, when the flu killed 50 million to 100 million people, mostly young adults. But 536. In Europe, "It was the beginning of one of the worst periods to be alive, if not the worst year," says McCormick, a historian and archaeologist who chairs the Harvard University Initiative for the Science of the Human Past.

A mysterious fog plunged Europe, the Middle East, and parts of Asia into darkness, day and night—for 18 months. "For the sun gave forth its light without brightness, like the moon, during the whole year," wrote Byzantine historian Procopius. Temperatures in the summer of 536 fell 1.5°C to 2.5°C, initiating the coldest decade in the past 2300 years. Snow fell that summer in China; crops failed; people starved. The Irish chronicles record "a failure of bread from the years 536–539." Then, in 541, bubonic plague struck the Roman port of Pelusium, in Egypt. What came to be called the Plague of Justinian spread rapidly, wiping out one-third to one-half of the population of the eastern Roman Empire and hastening its collapse, McCormick says.

Historians have long known that the middle of the sixth century was a dark hour in what used to be called the Dark Ages, but the source of the mysterious clouds has long been a puzzle. Now, an ultraprecise analysis of ice from a Swiss glacier by a team led by McCormick and glaciologist Paul Mayewski at the Climate Change Institute of The University of Maine (UM) in Orono has fingered a culprit. At a workshop at Harvard this week, the team reported that a cataclysmic volcanic eruption in Iceland spewed ash across the Northern Hemisphere early in 536. Two other massive eruptions followed, in 540 and 547. The repeated blows, followed by plague, plunged Europe into economic stagnation that lasted until 640, when another signal in the ice—a spike in airborne lead—marks a resurgence of silver mining, as the team reports in Antiquity this week.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Interesting

MAGA
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
It's not 2022?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I second BGG - very interesting.

Me

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I watched an educational video about the plague one time...it was really interesting. History repeats itself. People refused to work and caused wages to rise, inflation happened, and the governments tried to lie to people about the plague.

We never learn

Last edited by mjbgalt; 04/23/22.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There was enough silver mining in 640 to make a measurable impact in the atmosphere?

That's crazy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman
There was enough silver mining in 640 to make a measurable impact in the atmosphere?

That's crazy.

I'm more interested in knowing how that fog impacted their wi-fi.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Fascinating. Now, that is some real climate change.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

That's crazy.

Hav’rd and U. Mimed… Gawd

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Whooptie doo....5 degree differential?!

What a bunch of lillies

💀💀💀

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

That's crazy.
That wasn't what I read.

What I read was there was an increase in measurable lead in the ice cores, that was attributable to increases in lead/silver mining.

Science is probably pretty good at measuring very small levels of lead. PPM? PPB?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sycamore

That's crazy.
That wasn't what I read.

What I read was there was an increase in measurable lead in the ice cores, that was attributable to increases in lead/silver mining.

Science is probably pretty good at measuring very small levels of lead. PPM? PPB?

Is that not the same thing? If the measurable spike in airborne lead in the glacier was attributable to an increase in silver mining, isn’t that an atmospheric effect or was the silver mining in question right there near the glacier? I am not arguing here, just trying to clarify how you’re interpreting this.
I would agree that science can really pinpoint minute element traces these days though. Absolutely down to PPB in some cases.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
It's not 2022?

Powerful people are working hard to make that the case.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2020 beats everything but the day the last major ice started. The powers of the world came together, coordinated a boondoggle that undid the last 200 years or so of increasing freedoms. People still dont get it. We are losing everything that made sense in the 20th century,

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
It's not 2022?

Eer, perhaps it started in 2020.

J
jgt Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
People survived it all. The "climate change" people keep telling us that everyone is going to die at such and such date. The day comes and nothing has happened, so they change the narrative. In just my lifetime that has been the case several times.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sycamore

That's crazy.
That wasn't what I read.

Is that not the same thing? If the measurable spike in airborne lead in the glacier was attributable to an increase in silver mining, isn’t that an atmospheric effect or was the silver mining in question right there near the glacier? I am not arguing here, just trying to clarify how you’re interpreting this.
I would agree that science can really pinpoint minute element traces these days though. Absolutely down to PPB in some cases.

gotcha. I thought you were inferring the amount of lead changed the way the atmosphere worked.

I think it could have been close , or in line with wind flow. not many glaciers left to check on the Alps I guess.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
You guys need to spend way less money at the dispensaries.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

349 members (16penny, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 44 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,022
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.