-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So I'm working on a B&C stock that has a sticky coating. I bought this stock used about 10 years ago and it was fine. But over the years the finish has become super sticky. It is a Medalist stock with the aluminum bedding block for a small ring mauser. It took quite a bit of work to make it fit my rifle right so I really don't want to send it back to B&C. I don't even know if they would do anything. But having refinished a multitude of stocks thru the years I figured I would just strip the sticky coat off. It has a really nice camo finish underneath that I would like to preserve. I did a little research and people are saying that they have had some luck stripping the stickiness off with rubbing alcohol, acetone, dawn dish soap and a few other things. But I've tried all of these and nothing seems to work. I can scrape it off and it comes off in balls that reminds me of rubber cement. But even after stripping off what I can the stock still stays sticky. Anyone on here dealt with this and have had any luck removing it? I would like to get it cleaned off and then just spray a few coats of matte clear coat on.

Thanks, Brant

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If acetone and a scotchbrite pad or steel wool won't remove the gummy crap I can't imagine what would. I have five or six of those stocks...I sure hope they don't present me with the same problem. I've had them for about six years, I think.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Would spraying clear coat on top of the sticky hold and dry hard. Just thinking if the stickiness can't get air it would dry up.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well I went over the stock with acetone. Turned it into a gooey mess. Then spent a couple of hours completely scraping it off. Went over it again with acetone. Then used an SOS pad with hot water. Used a small wire brush with orange citrus hand cleaner in the checkering. finally got it completely clean. Unfortunately I took off a bunch of the camo finish off. So then I sanded it. Filled a few small pinholes that weren't filled from the factory. sanded again. Primed it. Now in the process of repainting it

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I figured it would probably come to that. Hopefully the next finish you apply will be trouble free.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well thankfully we had a beautiful warm day. Painted the stock. Let it dry for an hour and put a couple coats of clear on. Slid everything back together and now I will leave it in the corner for a couple of weeks to cure up good.
257 Roberts
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That looks great!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 61 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,944
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.