Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
40 miles in he past 8 days, I love spring break!

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Our six day trip turned into seven; very rough conditions- post holing snow, lots of blowdown to contend with, streaming fords was more hazardous w/ warmer weather (I got swept on one crossing!), sketchy ice crossings, but we made it out alive. 101 miles for the week, about 80 of those on snowshoes.

Standing at 507 miles for the year.

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Back to running the past three days. Going slow and easy and building up slowly so as to avoid injury. My goals is back to 3-4 miles per day 5 days a week before the end of summer. Walking the loop on weekends!

Last edited by shootsacreed; 03/30/22.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I stepped down off of a ladder earlier this week( from third rung to ground) and really fouled up my left quadricep most likely a minor tear or strain. I am having a hell of a time walking around the place, let along walking any distance. So I am frozen at 288 miles for the year,

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I follow this thread, you guys do some impressive workouts but the biggest thing I see is consistency.

I live next to the Smokys and spend alot of time there. They are real mountains even though they are east of the Missisippi. 2000 foot climbs are common, some can be close to 4000 feet if you start on the North Carolina side. My wife and I do 5-700 miles a year in the Smokys in addition to a couple of west trips a year.

My question for the collective here: how much jogging do you all do during the year? I normally do 2 days during the week, 3-5 miles, stretching to 6-7 by the time elk season gets here in October. I'm rethinking that and wondering if jogging is really helping me carry a pack around the mountains.

Thoughts?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
When I was working, I worked out with a group of Government Smokejumpers, who were required to maintain a very high fitness level , and who ran lots of miles every week. I also ran but not as far. As we all got older the frequency of knee surgerys, and hip injuries increased. As I wanted to avoid those kinds of injuries, I quit jogging on the late 90"s and started hiking, not as much distance but instead of running on the level I focused hiking on hills. I still do too much pavement but I feel it was the right decision. I am in Arizona for the winter, so I do not have many weather days, but lack the elevation that I get when I return back north. A typical week here is 20+ miles walking with an average 200 feet elevation each day. Up north I do slightly less miles, but average 700 feet elevation daily. A month or so before my first season I start carrying a pack with weight in it. I did 1204 miles last year and am 76 yrs old. Last thought , you must wear the best footwear that you can afford

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bwinters
I follow this thread, you guys do some impressive workouts but the biggest thing I see is consistency.

I live next to the Smokys and spend alot of time there. They are real mountains even though they are east of the Missisippi. 2000 foot climbs are common, some can be close to 4000 feet if you start on the North Carolina side. My wife and I do 5-700 miles a year in the Smokys in addition to a couple of west trips a year.

My question for the collective here: how much jogging do you all do during the year? I normally do 2 days during the week, 3-5 miles, stretching to 6-7 by the time elk season gets here in October. I'm rethinking that and wondering if jogging is really helping me carry a pack around the mountains.

Thoughts?

I was late to the running scene (in my 50's), but I ended up going all in- running mountain ultras around the state (and a few out of state). I enjoyed it even more when it was just a group of folks running in the mountains, not a race.

Fast forward 10 years or so and I've pretty much given up on the running, but just hike instead. My mileage is about the same as when I was running (just takes a little longer laugh ). I've noticed no diminished ability in the mountains when elk season rolls around. The transition has cut down the number of injuries to about zero.

IMHO running is great, hiking just as great- maybe even better.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm coming to the same conclusion as you 2 guys. We have a couple hundred acre woods near my house that has a trail running around the perimeter. It's 2.1 miles around the loop but only has 200 feet of relief. I do alot of weighted pack hiking over there in preseason. I do 2 loops and try to keep it at 18-19 min/mile with 25-30 lb pack. It is also a good place to trail run.

My normal deal is to lift heavy Jan - April 2 days/wk, aerobic fitness 3 days/ week with one of them on the weekend a long session (2-4 hrs). Many times the long day turns out to be 8-10 hrs and covers 10-20 miles with my standard 22 lb daypack in the Smokys. My other 2 days this time of year are jogging, mainly because I can do it around the house, right after work, and still not run in the dark.

Starting in May I switch to endurance lifting and incorporating HICT and Eustress type lifting twice/week and start serious rucking. I have a mountain road not far from the house that I climb 1/week. It's 1100 feet in 1.5 miles. By season I'll be schlepping 50 lbs up/back. I usually run 1 day during the week and keep my LSD on the weekend. It works well for me in my advanced age (58) eek

My biggest issue this year is calf cramps. After about 2-3 miles, my calves start to cramp. It's not dehydration, it's not stretching/warmup, its not insoles - I've come to the conclusion it's the effects of running on pavement. I've substituted rucking and bike riding for running so far this spring. I'd hate to get to October and figure out that wasn't a good move......

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Run log update:

Week 13 (Mar 27-Apr 2): 14.5
Apr Total: 14.5

2022 Total: 159.7 / 13 (12.28 / Wk)

Got in 3 strength workouts and only 2 run days but last Sunday was 7 so I’ll take it. 2nd strength day was the Murph (I modified it so I didn’t die! 😂).

Have a good week all!!

Phil

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
only 18 miles this week, but considering I was limping on snowshoes just a week ago- a win! smile

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Mt,
Your trip sounds just brutal. Had typed up a response but didn't get it sent. Tell us about getting swept on the crossing? Doesn't sound like you lost anything, but I bet it wasn't fun! Sleeping bag stay dry?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cwh2
Mt,
Your trip sounds just brutal. Had typed up a response but didn't get it sent. Tell us about getting swept on the crossing? Doesn't sound like you lost anything, but I bet it wasn't fun! Sleeping bag stay dry?

It happened fast and it sucked laugh I put on my mid-layer over the top of the wet base layer and hiked hard for about an hour- this just about dried the top completely. My pants were drying but at a much slower rate. We agreed to stop for supper at the next dry spot and start a fire- it happened to be right next to the trail but there wasn't a soul for 50+ miles so that worked just fine. Got my pants 90+% dry with the fire and the warm food helped a bunch too.

I got lazy when stripping off layers as I have dry bags for all of my clothing (and sleeping bag). My mid-layer was stuffed into the pack, but because it was X Pac and a roll top- the mid-layer was perfectly dry- thank God! My sleeping bag, parka and other clothing were in dry bags so they were good to go. My long johns (Kuiu zip-off Pelotons) were haphazardly put into a back pocket; called a Talon (Seek Outside) and it also happens to be X Pac and have a waterproof zipper- thankfully.

No more getting lazy with my layers when having so many fords to negotiate!!!!!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Sounds like it went as well as could be expected. We deal with a lot of water at a couple of sheep places, with levels changing all the time. I hate it. Fast water is the only place where weight actually helps you, in that it keeps your from getting swept out, but I would hate to go under with a heavy pack.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I hit the 300 mile mark for the year yesterday, temp in the 90's ughhh.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
34 miles for the week; 559 for the year- that'll work smile

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Haven't posted much since my legs got fubared last year, but been swimming 3x a week, a lil bike time, doing hiit 2-3x a week and started back running short runs under 6miles the last couple of months. Still got leg pains so been taking it easy yet.

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Run log update:

Week 14 (Apr 3-9): 8.6
Week 15 (Apr 10-16): 7.9
Apr Total: 31.0

2022 Total: 176.2 / 15 (11.75 / Wk)

Had a few crap weeks as far as workouts go. But April weather here in AR didn’t help, and our 20th anniversary trip was worth it. Hoping to get back on track this week.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
2 mile base line ruck with 35lbs for time. 31:06.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
38 miles for the week, 597 for the year; got both strength training days in

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Back squat, walk lunges with weights, leg press. Half mile run, 4:00mins. Weighted ruck for 22mins.

Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,664 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,724
Posts18,475,825
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.