Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Higginez
I bought 5 lbs of Blue Dot 4-5 years ago.

Kinda feeling clairvoyant.

YMMV.

I normally go thru about 10 pounds of Blue Dot per year....sometimes a little more...

I do prefer to just buy it in the 5 pound container.... but those aren't always on the shelves here in Hooterville...

One can never had enough Blue Dot, SR 4759, Unique, and Alliant Steel , or enough small rifle primers....

Under the Brandon Administration, Hornady is still doing a good job of making V Maxes available...and some other varmint bullets I typically shoot a lot of...

I think since Jan 1st, I bought about 10 to 11,000 bullets.....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Seafire,

That is a lot of gut piles!

I hope the 32 Vmax at 3,300 fps from an 18 pound gun doesn't wear me out.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Anybody else find it funny that everyones three shot groups aint schidt to BSA, but post a hummer of a 10 shot group and all is silent?

LOL.

I’m curious what BSA has ever done other than cherry pick group picks and cut down others. I’m pretty sure I’ve never read a positive post he’s made unless it was tooting his own horn.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Seafire,

awwww... you're man enough to handle it..... especially by Californian standards...

only way that is going to wear you out, if hauling that 18 pounds all over the place, unless your shooting bench is the hood of a pick up....

1975 to like 1987 Chevy Pick ups and Suburbans are ideal.... they have a hood that is the size and as flat as a billiard table....

Limit your shots to a 100 to 150 yds and that 32 gr V Max is really going to turn a sage rat into Chunky Tomato Soup....

Was just out about 10 days ago over by K Falls.... most I've ever had, but I had SEVEN bald eagles in waiting on tree limbs and water wheels, waiting for dinner...

As soon as I hit one of those little grass munchers, and it exploded... I had eagles catching them in mid air, and scarfing them down before one of the other eagles got to the little dearly departed....

that was with a 223 and a 40 V Max, with 11 grains of Blue dot, and I kept my shots to 150 yds and under...

must have been some hungry eagles... I've never seen that many watching over my shooting area... I've had up to 5 frequently, but this was the first time I've ever seen over 5 at one time in competition for Dinner time....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I bought 5 lbs of Blue Dot 4-5 years ago.

Kinda feeling clairvoyant.

YMMV.

After what I've been loading, since I can't locate my 32 pound of Alliant Steel,

I'm down to about 12 to 13 pounds of Blue Dot.... I'm starting to feel kinda naked...

Gotta a huge container of Primers I need to find also....

Moving 4 summers ago, I'm still missing half of my things... so that the wife and my son could have all of their things...

I've moved a lot in life... moving SUCKS...

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Seafire,

So, you've misplaced 32 lbs of gun powder and a huge container of primers?

Millionaire/hoarder problems....

LOL

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Seafire,

So, you've misplaced 32 lbs of gun powder and a huge container of primers?

Millionaire/hoarder problems....

LOL

no, evidently someone who claimed to be a friend, and got greedy once Biden got into office.. and came over needing something and then loaded it up and took off with it when I was tied up with something or just went into the house....

Seafire is about $999,999.99 short of being a millionaire....

just buy deals when they pop up... and when democRats AREN'T in office.. when supply and prices are normal or on sale...

but this is southern Oregon... no shortage of drug users, welfare abusers, and people who think being clepto is no problem...

sadly I know many people who will go into Walmart and swipe a jug of engine oil and filter, because they know the store won't stop them, and will not notify the cops, per order from Walmart home office....when they can easily afford it...

its a different mind set on the west coast than I grew Up with...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Seafire,

Just humm the Marine Corps Hymn while you pull the trigger and you'll do just fine...

I remember that Ford Pickup you built putting the Dodge Diesel in it...

a man with those skills can do anything....

I'd varmint shoot with ya any day...

Myself, I am considering putting a muzzle break on my 11 grains of Blue Dot load, with a 40 grain V Max...

the recoil off that is just Brutal.....

I've had to put up with democRats too long around here....

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Yeah man, 11 gr Blue Dot and a 40 gr Vmax in a target rich environ would put JeffO on permanent disability! LOL

He could build his own brake though if he could only get the Vmax box open.

One of these days I'll have to run up there and you can show me how the OR boys never miss.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
We don't miss... its just sometimes the sage rats don't cooperate is all.....:)

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I found Blue Dot in 2 different places. Well, one for sure but may be able to get it from another source for a little less money. The local place has it in 1 and 4 lb containers and it’s 38.73 per pound in the 4lb jug or 43 by the pound. The other place it is 38 per one pound container which is what I’d like to have. I won’t wait too long to find out though, it will disappear on me again.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 450BM
I found Blue Dot in 2 different places. Well, one for sure but may be able to get it from another source for a little less money. The local place has it in 1 and 4 lb containers and it’s 38.73 per pound in the 4lb jug or 43 by the pound. The other place it is 38 per one pound container which is what I’d like to have. I won’t wait too long to find out though, it will disappear on me again.

don't confuse Blue Dot, with IMR Blue...

4 pound jugs will be IMR Blue....not the same powder as Blue Dot.

Blue Dot is an Alliant Powder... and available in one pound and FIVE pound containers...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yeah man, 11 gr Blue Dot and a 40 gr Vmax in a target rich environ would put JeffO on permanent disability! LOL

He could build his own brake though if he could only get the Vmax box open.

One of these days I'll have to run up there and you can show me how the OR boys never miss.

Be more than happy to have you as a guest Higster.....

can get you out in the fields... I just hope they come out more than they are now....

still a very late spring with the rains... haven't seen the little ones and females out yet... when they come out, the numbers will increase dramatically....

around here the males were out, and then the weather has gone south, and its like early March of so...

I haven't even seen the big males out around my place feels like going on 3 weeks or so....

I've only wasted about 200 or so males so far this season.. and with all the rain, the alfalfa fields is going to get thick and tall real quick....making a little harder to hit them or see them until the first cut happens in late May or Early June....

If you can make it toward Klamath Falls there.... we can get you in the fields....

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Yeah man, I might be able to make it up there in June after the first cutting. Let me know.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Seafire

Blue Dot is an Alliant Powder... and available in one pound and FIVE pound containers...

No confusion here. I called the LGS and asked what they had and that was what they told me. If it was Blue Dot, the 5 lb container will be 31 a pound and that makes it a no brainer!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
John, have you ever used IMR blue in the same way you use blue dot?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I called the shop yesterday to see if they still had it in stock. They do so I asked if if was a 4 or 5 lb container. She pulled it off the shelf and said it was 4 lb and it is Blue Dot. I guess I’m going to have to take a drive over this week and see for myself…

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I called the shop yesterday to see if they still had it in stock. They do so I asked if if was a 4 or 5 lb container. She pulled it off the shelf and said it was 4 lb and it is Blue Dot. I guess I’m going to have to take a drive over this week and see for myself…

Well I am seeing that Alliant has dropped putting their Steel Powder in 8 pound containers, and it is now being sold in 4 pound containers...

maybe the marketing dept and the accounting dept, are trying to make bulk powder to not seem so expensive, while still jacking up the average price per pound...

Traditionally Alliant has been big in the 5 pound containers for quite a few decades...but things change... and I have seen much on the shelves to verify that positively or
negatively...

keep me posted on what you find out if you would please....

just make sure its not IMR Blue..... nothing wrong with the powder, but its not the same burn rate as Blue Dot from Alliant... close but not the same
and in this area, tolerances can be tighter, instead of more lenient.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 57 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,457
Posts18,471,135
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.