Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I've continued to play around with this little pistol and continue to be impressed with my ability to hit what I aim at with it. For me, it's not difficult to shoot,...much better than the original LCP. I can hit with it about as well as I can with my Ruger Security 9.

Everybody's different, but I shoot this LCP Max a lot better than I can a 2" snub .38 revolver. My opinion, as long as it's loaded with top shelf ammo it's a lot better defensive tool that a 2" snub .38 revolver.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadDog4298
I bought the Lcp max but it’s the first Lcp I have ever had. It fills the narrative to always pack a gun. If you answer the question if I have to defend myself today what gun would I take, it makes it doable with 11 rounds in the gun and another 12 on your offhand side.

I agree with the notion that 23 rounds in your front pockets, even of .380ACP, should be enough to get one out of most defensive situations you might encounter when out and about in everyday life. If you live in an absolute craphole city, or go into perilous areas on a regular basis, or lack the mobility to get out of a bad situation at a reasonable pace (wheelchair, etc.), then you might need to daily carry something more substantial.

I shoot my original LCP better than a snubby J-Frame. Adding real sights, a better grip, and a better trigger should only improve things.

Now with even more aplomb
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I've continued to play around with this little pistol and continue to be impressed with my ability to hit what I aim at with it. For me, it's not difficult to shoot,...much better than the original LCP. I can hit with it about as well as I can with my Ruger Security 9.

Everybody's different, but I shoot this LCP Max a lot better than I can a 2" snub .38 revolver. My opinion, as long as it's loaded with top shelf ammo it's a lot better defensive tool that a 2" snub .38 revolver.

Should be. Reliable, compact, conceals nicely, high cap, you shoot it well, and loaded with 90 grain XTP loads, it should be terminally on par with the best .38 Special round fired from a two inch barrel. That all adds up to a great defensive gun.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a LCPll and a LCP Max. I like them both. The Max is just better in all ways.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Some years back, I bought a Beretta Pico for my Dad. He has never really taken to it, and before too long, I think I'll trade it in on an LCP Max for him. The improved trigger, sights and magazine capacity may make a difference to him.

I didn't mention the trigger. But it's also a big improvement over the original LCP. I was a bit hesitant to go with the new trigger design because I consider the original long pull trigger to be a good safety feature on a pistol that's generally carried hot and has no safety. But this trigger doesn't make me nervous. It has a bit of takeup and just a hint of creep before it breaks. I haven't measured it but reportedly, those who have says it has about a 7 lb pull. That sounds like a lot but it doesn't feel like a lot.

It's light enough and breaks clean enough for a pistol that's used as this one typically is.

All in all, it's a huge improvement over the original LCP trigger. It's light enough but not too light and it breaks fairly clean without a lot of travel. It makes the little pistol a lot easier to hit with than the old, long pull trigger on the original LCP.

I will find one to try the trigger as increasing the capacity sounds appealing.

However the odds are against the purchase of the max as I really like the trigger on the original LCP.
The Long,, about 8 pound pull is exactly what I want for the same reasons that you expressed.

While I am sure that the trigger on the lcp II and the Max are much easier than the original lcp for its purpose as a close-range get off of me Pocket pistol,Carried in its truest sense, in my pocket of all things!

I have the Hogue Grip on mine along with the Ruger Brand seven round magazine and a spare magazine in another Pocket.

I carry it as a "New York Reload" in addition to my Glock 26 carried in another pocket in a Mic trigger Guard Holster.

Now if Ruger would make the LCP Max with the Long 8 Pound ,revolver like trigger pull of the original LCP,I would buy one sight unseen just for the increased magazine capacity.

Last edited by bcraig; 04/15/22.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by bcraig
Some years back, I bought a Beretta Pico for my Dad. He has never really taken to it, and before too long, I think I'll trade it in on an LCP Max for him. The improved trigger, sights and magazine capacity may make a difference to him.

I didn't mention the trigger. But it's also a big improvement over the original LCP. I was a bit hesitant to go with the new trigger design because I consider the original long pull trigger to be a good safety feature on a pistol that's generally carried hot and has no safety. But this trigger doesn't make me nervous. It has a bit of takeup and just a hint of creep before it breaks. I haven't measured it but reportedly, those who have says it has about a 7 lb pull. That sounds like a lot but it doesn't feel like a lot.

It's light enough and breaks clean enough for a pistol that's used as this one typically is.

All in all, it's a huge improvement over the original LCP trigger. It's light enough but not too light and it breaks fairly clean without a lot of travel. It makes the little pistol a lot easier to hit with than the old, long pull trigger on the original LCP.

However the odds are against the purchase of the max as I really like the trigger on the original LCP.
The Long,, about 8 pound pull is exactly what I want for the same reasons that you expressed.

While I am sure that the trigger on the lcp II and the Max are much easier than the original lcp for its purpose as a close-range get off of me Pocket pistol,Carried in its truest sense, in my pocket of all things!

I have the Hogue Grip on mine along with the Ruger Brand seven round magazine and a spare magazine in another Pocket.

I carry it as a "New York Reload" in addition to my Glock 26 carried in another pocket in a Mic trigger Guard Holster.

Now if Ruger would make the LCP Max with the Long 8 Pound ,revolver like trigger pull of the original LCP,I would buy one sight unseen just for the increased magazine capacity.

The trigger pull is long enough to still be “safe”. In my opinion, it doesn’t “stack” as bad as the original LCP (get significantly heavier as it gets to the break point). It stacks some, but nothing like the original LCP.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Originally Posted by bcraig

The trigger pull is long enough to still be “safe”. In my opinion, it doesn’t “stack” as bad as the original LCP (get significantly heavier as it gets to the break point). It stacks some, but nothing like the original LCP.

Compared to my Glock 42 and my Sig P365s, the LCP Max takes all day to complete a trigger pull, and the trigger stacks. That's probably why I can't get used it it or shoot it very well beyond a few yards.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
A big part of my handgun shooting over the years has been with double action revolvers,...particularly S&W K frames. So I don't find the "clickit" triggers on currently produced semi-autos difficult to use.

Light, extremely short stroke triggers aren't rocket science to manufacture. A manufacturer can make a trigger any way they choose. But there's a happy medium to be found on handguns that are carried hot for defensive purposes. I want a trigger on a defensive handgun to require a modicum of deliberation before it breaks.

Both the LCP Max and my Ruger Security 9 have just about the right amount of "trigger" that I want on a handgun that might have to be used in an extremely high stress situation.

I figure such a situation will be difficult enough to handle without shooting my nuts off in the process.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the LCP II and like it for a pocket gun, but I may have to look into the Max.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B3

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I got inspired and loaded a bunch of 100 grain hard cast flat points over 5 grains of AA#5. They're advertised as being for .380s, but they measure .357". They're pretty much the same shape as the hard cast 100 grain bullets that Buffalo Bore loads in their .380 ammo.

5 grains of AA#5 makes 'em *pop* right smart! (use my load data at your own peril)

I felt guilty about subjecting my new LCP Max to a crop of my hand loaded hard cast stuff, so I got a 13 lb recoil spring from Galloway Precision and installed it in the little pistol.

Maybe the slide won't knock my front teeth out now.

We'll see.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I guess I will be the lone voice of dissent.

Picked up a Max.
From the beginning I really didn't care for the trigger.
It was like "pull the rubber band, pull..., and pencil break!"

I shoot Glocks, carry a P365, and have an original LCP.
I like my LCP, and can actually do the 5x5 drill very well with it.

But the Max trigger?
Sold it. frown

ETA:
Just before I bought the Max, I purchased two of the 7 round mags from Ruger for my LCP.
Surprisingly, it made the LCP into a different gun.
It feels better, and the extra round just makes me like it better.
Maybe I really didn't want to like the Max after that.

Last edited by mini14jac; 04/27/22.

<><
HE>i
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
bcraig said:

I like this guy!

<><
HE>i
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I liked the trigger on the MAX better than the LCP, but the MAX is nothing to write home about. I find it acceptable because I'm very used to two stage military triggers, and the MAX trigger reminds me of a two stage Mauser trigger. The take up is much shorter than a Mauser, but the take up resistance is about the same. The break on the MAX is actually rather clean, like the Mauser. I'd put the trigger break at around 6.5lbs as measured by my precision index finger guess-o-meter.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
What’s a .380 offer over a 9mm CCW ?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Size is the only thing a .380 has to offer over a 9mm.

If it’s winter, and you’re wearing a ton of clothing that conceals, or a coat with huge pockets, that’s not a concern.

If you weigh 275lb, and wear size 44 pants, also not a concern.

OTOH, if you’re a skinny guy, and want something that fits in your pocket, you grab the .380.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I got inspired and loaded a bunch of 100 grain hard cast flat points over 5 grains of AA#5. They're advertised as being for .380s, but they measure .357". They're pretty much the same shape as the hard cast 100 grain bullets that Buffalo Bore loads in their .380 ammo.

5 grains of AA#5 makes 'em *pop* right smart! (use my load data at your own peril)

I felt guilty about subjecting my new LCP Max to a crop of my hand loaded hard cast stuff, so I got a 13 lb recoil spring from Galloway Precision and installed it in the little pistol.

We'll see.

The Buffalo Bore Hard Cast Factory Load is what I carry in my original LCP .380. Good stuff !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

We'll see.

The Buffalo Bore Hard Cast Factory Load is what I carry in my original LCP .380. Good stuff !

There's a YouTube video where a guy shoots them into blocks of ballistic gel. He has to line up 3 blocks of gel in order to catch the bullets. The +P penetrated about 46". The standard velocity did about 42".

It made me wonder about the necessity of loading hard cast bullets hot in the .380. Even a standard velocity 100 grain hard cast bullet is going to go in the front and come out the back,..and neither the +P or the standard velocity is going fast enough to generate any shock. Both of them just punch holes.

I've dropped my last batch of loads down to 4.6 grains of AA#5 with the 100 grain hard cast bullets. They feel about like factory hardball loads.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Size is the only thing a .380 has to offer over a 9mm.

If it’s winter, and you’re wearing a ton of clothing that conceals, or a coat with huge pockets, that’s not a concern.

If you weigh 275lb, and wear size 44 pants, also not a concern.

OTOH, if you’re a skinny guy, and want something that fits in your pocket, you grab the .380.

So by design, a .380 is just a smaller gun than a 9mm?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

402 members (1Longbow, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 219DW, 10Glocks, 34 invisible), 2,019 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,748
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.