Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by okie john
Once upon a time I had a pre-64 Model 70 in 308 that Jim Cloward had bedded into a Pacific Research stock. Easily the best rifle for offhand shooting that I've ever owned. I lost it in my divorce and I've mourned it every day since then, which is highly unusual for me.

These days it's a Remington 700 with the factory 1:10 barrel cut to 22". For some work, it's in an HS Precision stock with a 3-10 Nightforce. For other jobs it's in a lightweight Grayboe with a 4x Leupold.

If I ever find my old Model 70 again, then I'll take it home even if it puts a harelip on the Pope.

Okie John

I hope you find your rifle buddy.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
HR IC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 444Matt
What’s your favorite rifle in 308 Winchester, how’s its setup what do you use it for? I’ve killed whitetail with a 308 BLR and Sierra Bullets short to medium range. Great performance

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 444Matt
What’s your favorite rifle in 308 Winchester, how’s its setup what do you use it for? I’ve killed whitetail with a 308 BLR and Sierra Bullets short to medium range. Great performance

My favorite rifle in .308 is an M1A but I don't have one at the moment.

My only rifle in .308 is a Ruger SS GSR with the 18.7" barrel, an XS scope rail, trigger spring, added the synthetic stock and the muzzle brake from the 6829 model. It will be my off season truck gun.

It has a 2-7 Burris Scout Scope on it. I may switch that out to a 2.5-8x36 Leupold. Honestly, I got it just to have a rifle chambered in .308 to fool with. I traded my 99E Savage off to a BIL and gave dad's M88 to my oldest boy for his son who is left handed. My son likes it so well he used it to kill his Wyoming buck this year.

I am running 150 grain loads at the moment. with 46.0gr REL 15+-. I have used both 150 grain and 165 grain out of .308 previously and preferred the 150 gr performance out of shorter barreled .308's.

I have a variety of bullets for it to use on deer. I plan on using Nosler Partitions if I use it for elk. I will go with an E-Tip or TTSX if those don't please me assuming I ever shoot an elk with it..

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Kimber Montana, Leupold Vari-X 2-7, 165 gr Federal Fusion factory ammo is my most used .308.

Also have .308's daddy the 300 Savage in a couple of rifles: a 99F with Williams receiver sight; and a Remington 700 Classic, barrel shortened to 22 in, Timney trigger, Leupold VX-II 2x7. They compete for favorite sometimes. The Remington is most accurate of the bunch.

Last edited by MikeL2; 04/29/22.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Winchester SS Featherweight M70 New Haven (would rather it be a BACO), in a McEdge Weight is 6 pounds 1/2 ounce with irons, 6 pounds 3.5 ounces w/red dot and 6 pounds 13.5 ounces with a Leupold 2.5-8x36. RJ
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Favorite is a M700 ADL stainless with barrel cut to 20" and a 1.5-5 x 20 with heavy duplex. Works real well for how and where I deer and hog hunt.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The only one I have is a late 50's Model 70 fwt., low comb which I sometimes carry in the northwoods when I want to deer hunt with open sights.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Browning Safari (Sako action)..Leupold 2.5X8X36 with BDC reticle and 165gr Sierra Gamechangers or Nosler Partitions.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Stainless M7 action
stainless Douglas XX #2 at 22"
Cerakoted by EddieF years back, cerakote has a fair amount of scratches and wear but no flaking
edge stock, pillar and full length bedded, spongebob paint
Badger Ord M5 BM, rear tang opened to 1/4-28, MDT flush fit 3 round mags
DNZ low 30mm mounts with level on one ring
3-10 SHV Forceplex w/illum - 3d printer sand to fit zero stop on elevation
I think it's right at 7 lbs all up with 3 rounds and mt sling.

[Linked Image]

That one needs a "Like" button.

Now with even more aplomb
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by Fuelman
While there's no love for them around this forum, my go to .308w is a Browning A-bolt Stalker with boss , as of yet no big game have been harmed, but it works well as a walking varminter, loaner, and truck gun with 155gr Bergers.

I have a number of rifles chambered for the 308 Win.

A couple of years ago I mounted the ATN X-Sight 4K Pro Day/Night scope on a Browning A-Bolt Hunter in 308. I've probably take over 3 dozen hogs with it, both day and night.

ya!

GWB

Geedubya, that sure looks like an X-bolt to me, but as many excellent rifles as you have, it would be very easy to make a small model description mistake. RJ

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have 3 .308 bolt guns....

Wthby vanguard HB 22" barrel
Howa HB varmint 20" barrel
TC Icon synthetic stock 24" barrel

Like the Icon the best for the integral picanty base and ease of swapping optics.

The shorter barrel options hunt timber stands mostly.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
This Sako TRG is one that is always a favorite to shoot, and has dropped a few elk.

Nothing like shooting those terrible target/match bullets (right into their ear hole).

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
This little Tikka has been filling the freezer for some time now.

It is a 20" with a brake and the rifle wears an Edge stock. The scope is a 2.5-10x24 Nightforce. If I was going to have only one rifle for everything, there is no question, this one would be it.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I got interested in the .308 because my Daughter wanted one, after shooting a friends. I had a .30-06 in several flavors and didn't see a need for the .308. So, I got my girl a Howa light weight and dropped it in an Alpine stock I bought of the classifieds.

I always liked that faux Alpine rifle, and my daugher has been a killing machine with it. So fast forward a few years and I get a suppressor, and I start looking for threaded rifles or ones I can thread. So I put out a WTB add and I pick up a beater model 700 in .308 Win with a big chunk of toe missing from the stock.

I don't even shoot it, take it straight to my GS. I have the barrel cut down to 18" threaded 5/8-24 install an ASR brake so I can properly mount my Omega. I then bed it in a Greyboe Trekker, added a TT Primary trigger set at 2.5 lbs, mounted a NF SHV 3-10X42 in Warne Mountain Tech rings with 20 MOA rail.

I took it out last fall and killed a small bull elk with it, . The only thing I'd probably change on it is the weight, it weighs 10 lbs suppressed. However, it'll cost a fortune to put this rifle on a diet. I don't know if it's my favorite .308 rifle, but it definitely will handle what I'm hunting. I'm always on the lookout for my next favorite!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by rj308

Geedubya, that sure looks like an X-bolt to me, but as many excellent rifles as you have, it would be very easy to make a small model description mistake. RJ

Good eye!

Went upstairs and took a closer look. By gosh and begora, you are right.
I've even labeled the hard case I keep it in "Browning A-Bolt.

Shows' ya' what I know.

Anywho, it seems to shoot 308 Ammo, so I'm reasonably sure its a 308 Win. LOL.

Don't get old!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 04/29/22.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by taylorce1
I got interested in the .308 because my Daughter wanted one, after shooting a friends. I had a .30-06 in several flavors and didn't see a need for the .308. So, I got my girl a Howa light weight and dropped it in an Alpine stock I bought of the classifieds.

I had an Alpine for a while. The only thing I didn't like about it was the 20" barrel. You assembled the rifle that I wanted mine to be.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by rj308

Good eye!

Went upstairs and took a closer look. By gosh and begora, you are right.
I've even labeled the hard case I keep it in "Browning A-Bolt.

Shows' ya' what I know.

Anywho, it seems to shoot 308 Ammo, so I'm reasonably sure its a 308 Win. LOL.

Don't get old!

GWB

With all the classy stuff you post it’s easy to forget a couple.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by taylorce1

I always liked that faux Alpine rifle, and my daugher has been a killing machine with it. So fast forward a few years and I get a suppressor, and I start looking for threaded rifles or ones I can thread. So I put out a WTB add and I pick up a beater model 700 in .308 Win with a big chunk of toe missing from the stock.

I don't even shoot it, take it straight to my GS. I have the barrel cut down to 18" threaded 5/8-24 install an ASR brake so I can properly mount my Omega. I then bed it in a Greyboe Trekker, added a TT Primary trigger set at 2.5 lbs, mounted a NF SHV 3-10X42 in Warne Mountain Tech rings with 20 MOA rail.

I took it out last fall and killed a small bull elk with it, . The only thing I'd probably change on it is the weight, it weighs 10 lbs suppressed. However, it'll cost a fortune to put this rifle on a diet. I don't know if it's my favorite .308 rifle, but it definitely will handle what I'm hunting. I'm always on the lookout for my next favorite!

I hunted a Trekker with a 20" 308 a fair bit this past year. It bumped my "favorite" .308 out of use this season as I wanted to use it to "really know"... I liked it a lot but not as much as the M7 I posted earlier. After the season I moved the Trekker to a light barreled 223AI and it's a pretty neat package.

I've been thinking of trying to add flush cups to the Trekker with the following:

https://grovtec.com/products/hollow-stock-push-button-base-gthm198-coming-soon

...not sure if they'll work but I'm hoping to find out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hoped to show this .308 some love this past season, but I ended up getting a buck in archery and never got a chance to carry it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Maybe this year.

Last edited by Teeder; 04/29/22.
1 member likes this: Fuelman
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Before turning strictly to traditional archery for big game hunting I killed several moose with a .308 while living in Alaska. A few years ago a friend took this bull with a .308 (at 7! yards).

Last edited by John_Havard; 04/29/22.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, 17 invisible), 1,907 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,894
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.