Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stickfight
According to this study, dog breed is not a predictor of behavior.

Of course it looks to have been done by a bunch of women so consider the source.

Tell that to a Jack Russell.

Carpe' Scrotum

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
If dumb and fat are your goals, then labs are great. πŸ˜ƒ

Huh. Mine certainly don't fit either part of that description. But I've only owned Labs for 52 years and been breeding them for 20 years so..

Originally Posted by Windfall
Someone is buying those designer dogs.

That's a fact! Neighbors two doors up drove from Western Oregon to Central Utah to buy a labradoodle, It was the result of an unplanned mating. They spent 3,000 bucks on it.. No papers, no health clearances, no titles, etc. Being generous, it really is one of the dumbest animals I have ever witnessed. However judging from some of the other responses here it seems that other owners are very happy with theirs, so perhaps my neighbor's dog is an exception.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

I've had Labs and Lab -mixes (never with a poodle!) for over 50 years. Never had any that were fat , nor dumb. I do admit that Grizzly had me fooled for a year or so when we first got him, then he blew it on the smarts part. We were his 3rd owner, and he was 3 when we got him, and it turned out he just didn't believe in following commands, tho he knew them all (each previous owner put him through obedience school).

After 10 days in a commercial kennel in Fairbanks while we were in Cabo, he suddenly knew and followed all those commands on our return. Like turning a light switch on! smile. He apparently decided we actually were his family, and wasn't taking a chance on getting again abandoned by us. He was for companion, but turned into a fair hunter as well. Nailed blind retrieves in 3 lessons.

My current rescue Honey HalfLab may not be Lab at all - could be Gold Ret. instead. Worst shedding dog we have ever had, and I thought the last full Lab was bad! Plus she has village sled dog, probably with some whippet in her. Some day I may have her genes tested, but probably not. At first I thought she was a bit on the stupid side, but it was just ignorance on both our parts. She just wasn't able to experience or learn much for the first 18 months of her life on the end of a chain, but boy did she catch on fast!!!. With my first and last full Labs, she is in the top 3 for smarts of all the dogs I've had. Spayed, but she isn't getting fat. Food portioning, which she is adamantly against, and 2 mile minimum daily walks (she insists!) see to that.

There is a saying: "If your dog is getting fat, you aren't getting enough exercise!"

Poodles.... were bred originally as hunting dogs, water and field, and good ones at that. Some still are- most have been turned into lap/cool-decorator pedigreed mutts.

My wife just returned from visiting cousins in AZ. One cuz has a rescue mini-poodle which has lost one eye and one ear. On getting a new stuffed animal, the dog immediately chews off one eye and one ear. Then he is happy with it.

I find that fascinating!

An acquaintance when we were in Kotzebue spent $3000 on a Labradoodle for the non-shedding quality. Well, that's only a 75% crap shoot. He got the 25 % pile of shedding fur. LMAO!

Last edited by las; 04/29/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steve

Of course it looks to have been done by a bunch of women so consider the source.

I've seen a well trained few................compared the abundance of them since they became popular "pets".......................very few.

We have very well trained whippets...............................................until they see something the just have to chase.....................and that's a common behavior for the breed which apparently no training can conquer wink

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hybridization is almost always a good thing...if the parent subjects are good.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Lot of the poodles in Chicago Indy and Baltimore seem to be problematic.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by longarm

Huh. Mine certainly don't fit either part of that description. But I've only owned Labs for 52 years and been breeding them for 20 years so..

That's a fact! Neighbors two doors up drove from Western Oregon to Central Utah to buy a labradoodle, It was the result of an unplanned mating. They spent 3,000 bucks on it.. No papers, no health clearances, no titles, etc. Being generous, it really is one of the dumbest animals I have ever witnessed. However judging from some of the other responses here it seems that other owners are very happy with theirs, so perhaps my neighbor's dog is an exception.

Are you sure it's not your neighbors?

Some folks just can't seem to train a dog....................or keep them in shape........................and they end up with fat dumb dogs..........designer breed or not.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Some folks just can't seem to train a dog....................or keep them in shape........................and they end up with fat dumb dogs..........designer breed or not.

Oh no, I'm certain the owners in this case are an important contributor to the dogs outcome! A liberal professor...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I've seen a well trained few................compared the abundance of them since they became popular "pets".......................very few.

We have very well trained whippets...............................................until they see something the just have to chase.....................and that's a common behavior for the breed which apparently no training can conquer wink

Cross a pitbull and and a whippet and you get a jrt.
Fact.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Liberals believe in discussions with misbehaving children and dogs, not active training and disciple.

The results never vary, and they just can't get it.

Last edited by las; 04/29/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Oh no, I'm certain the owners in this case are an important contributor to the dogs outcome! A liberal professor...

Oh my, not one of those...........we'll let the dog decide what it wants to do types?

In it is contentment

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Cross a pitbull and and a whippet and you get a jrt.
Fact.

What's a jrt?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jack Russell Terrier

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Oh my, not one of those...........we'll let the dog decide what it wants to do types?

Nailed it! I can't stand to be around the animal. It's either always licking your hands or jumping up on you

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Geno,
How do the whippets fair when after a jackrabbit?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Jack Russell Terrier

Ah!

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Anyone who compares a pudelpointer with a labradoodle is talking out their caboose and it smells.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Geno,
How do the whippets fair when after a jackrabbit?

Depends on how smart the rabbit is?

When we lived in AZ our mixed breed (Val) and my wife's first whippet (Jasmine) got after one. Rabbit ran up the bank out of the draw we were in, got over the crest a bit, jogged hard right...........whippet was hot on its trail but flew up over the crest of the bank as the rabbit was coming back down 20 yards or so from where it went up. Jasmine came back to the edge and was looking around like....."What the hell?"

Big enough, open enough field, especially with a few dogs, the jack might be in serious trouble. Jasmine and Val used to tag team squirrels in the stormwater settling basins when wife lived in the Valley. More than one thought they were smarter, and faster and ended up a chew toy. Probably the squirrels were used to fat Labradors chasing them. laugh

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mbogo2106
Anyone who compares a pudelpointer with a labradoodle is talking out their caboose and it smells.

Same goes for comparing the doodles to a poodle from hunting lines.

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheesy
The wife’s golden doodle is the calmest dog I’ve everbeen around. She has one speed 99% of the time, and it is off.

If I could keep her from retrieving sticks she’d be a good fishing partner.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My daughter and SIL have a labradoodle that looks pretty much like this dog. It is a retrieving rocket, and though my SIL is not a hunter, I’m pretty sure it would make a very good flusher; he obviously got the β€œgo-get-it” gene.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 1800topsoil, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,692
Posts18,494,109
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.