Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by logger
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
If you're buying new then a manual isn't an option anyway so it's a moot point.

Years ago I'd have said manuals were better, but the autos have gotten so good that they do everything better. The only reason for a manual nowadays is for nostalgia or just because you want one. I still love a manual in a sports car, but in a pickup give me the auto so I can let it do the work.

The other reason for a manual is that they are less likely to be stolen as fewer people know how to work a clutch.

I agree. All of my vehicles are manual transmission. My Tacoma is too and nobody has ever asked to borrow it when they move.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fuggen hate automatics. HATE THEM. Hate how they rob the power. Hate how they take off going downhill. Hate how they 4 wheel. Hate how they are forever searching for gears. Hate the mileage. Did I mention how I hate how they rob the power from the engine? Oh, and let's talk about when they blow up on a hill fully loaded, in traffic. And how they cost thousands of dollars to "rebuild", and you WILL rebuild them. Ford trucks get about 60K before a rebuild. Used to anyway. Dodge made it 75K. Isuzu Amigo 4 wheelin truck made it 75K.

No friggen thanks. I'm cured never want to look at another automatic in my life.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Heavy duty truck?

Are you fugging kidding me?

Class 6 7 or 8?

Don't go there Jim.

That Pick-um-up-truck deys gots is a Big Truck.
Makes them feel manly.

Automatics have improved immensely over the last 30 years,
But I like to control as much in the vehicle as possible.

Even the manual shift autos aren't.
They will only let you start in 2nd, usually.
They also will not let you lock a gear and hold it. WOT.

Weird stuff the engineers don't want you doing, stuff you shouldn't do.
Except, starting in a higher gear can help you get going on slick stuff.
And every once in awhile, you just might want to be able to lock a gear,
go WOT, able to pedal it, or just go for the gusto. In that situation, shifting
can get you stuck, or it's damn hard on the tranny to be shifting gears while
you are pedaling. You and the tranny are working against each other, and
I've had them stinking pretty quick.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been driving manual transmission vehicles most of my adult life.

Wife has 164,000. miles on her '97 4-Runner with manual transmission, and still has the factory brakes in it.

Using the gears to slow down makes a world of difference.

Recently bought a 2013 Jeep Rubicon with a 6 speed manual. LOTS of gear combinations with it!

It's the most fun vehicle I've ever owned!

Virgil B.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Fuggen hate automatics. HATE THEM. Hate how they rob the power. Hate how they take off going downhill. Hate how they 4 wheel. Hate how they are forever searching for gears. Hate the mileage. Did I mention how I hate how they rob the power from the engine? Oh, and let's talk about when they blow up on a hill fully loaded, in traffic. And how they cost thousands of dollars to "rebuild", and you WILL rebuild them. Ford trucks get about 60K before a rebuild. Used to anyway. Dodge made it 75K. Isuzu Amigo 4 wheelin truck made it 75K.

No friggen thanks. I'm cured never want to look at another automatic in my life.

You’ve not driven a truck past about 2010 then. Fidteen years ago I would have agreed with you. Today’s auto trans trucks get better mileage than the manual trans. My 2018 gasser gets 21 mpg most of the time. Agree with off-road sentiment.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have been driving my first pickup, with an automatic transmission since 2008. It's a 2006 Duramax. It gets any job done that I have given it! The Allison 6 speed is great. I'm not a farmer, or rancher . I pull some heavy loads and lots of medium loads. No way would I go back to a manual for what I do with my pickup.
The assumption that you need a manual for towing is just, an assumption nothing else. Manuals have their place in four wheeling and such. Then we all know the 3/4 ton pickup isn't a four wheeling rig! For playing in the mud and rocks, I run an Izusu trooper. But thats for playing not everyday work, towing and driving.
There is a reason for automatic transmissions, ease of use, better mileage, and towing! Lack of basic maintenance on any type of transmission will be its downside. If you haven't used one for years, you would be pleasantly surprised, how the new automatic transmission excells in it's duties.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Compare towing ratings. Some manuals aren't up to what the autos can. That may have changed but I've noticed it in the past.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The last manuals in full size pickups were the Dodge 2500 and 3500's with the diesels. They dropped manuals in them a couple years ago so that's the end of them.
I have an '08 Dodge Cummins with a manual. With a heavy trailer, I just push the button for the exhaust brake, drop 1 gear, and have a cup of coffee while it eases me down a 6% grade. I love it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Cars... automatic or hybrid.

Trucks... manual

4x4... manual

Equipment... SS or Hydro... SS is preferred.

----------------------------------------------

Manual is a rare rare option on anything new in 2022... like non-existent... 1 ton and under.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Compare towing ratings. Some manuals aren't up to what the autos can. That may have changed but I've noticed it in the past.

Do you think the company that makes money when you have to rebuild their automatic transmission might have a conflict of interest when they rate their automatics to tow more than a manual?

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not sure how the Dodge's dual density flywheels worked but they made clutch replacements a common repair. Mine went out at about 80k. The shop replaced the dual density flywheel with a different heavy duty type and told me that the clutch should now last the life of the pickup.

― George Orwell

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I am running a Pete with the Allison auto in it, doing propane delivery, both rural and city. No damn way I would prefer a manual for that. Long haul, a manual would be good for the hills. But I would hate it in town.

My 01 Ram 3500 drw has the 5 speed manual. Almost never use 1st, wish it had one more gear. Actually, wish it was an automatic. But I got it for half its worth, and use it solely to pull trailers and such, so the manual is fine. Next diesel pickup I buy will have an auto, might go with a Chevy just for that Allison transmission. been happy with the Cummins motors I have had, but Dodge vehicles always feel like they need another gear to me. A Cummins motor in a Ford truck with an Allison transmission would definitely open my checkbook with a snap...

Last edited by OldGrayWolf; 04/30/22.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Auto

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Do you think the company that makes money when you have to rebuild their automatic transmission might have a conflict of interest when they rate their automatics to tow more than a manual?

Dunno. Not if they puke a transmission in less than 36k lol

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a manual but when the pickup market cools down (if ever), I might replace it with an auto. I'm getting older and shifting isn't as much fun as it used to be. Last winter I had shoulder surgery on my left side. If it had been on the right, I wouldn't have been able to drive it for a couple months.

― George Orwell

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Vehicles with manual transmissions should also be equipped with a hand crank for starting, kerosene lanterns for headlights, and clincher rim wheels. Theyre all the same kind of obsolete. My father, who was the first man in Nashville Tennessee to work on automatics back in the late 1940's, put it this way- - - -"Automatic transmissions are smarter than all drivers, and most mechanics- - - -it's impossible to get one in the wrong gear!" Smart man- - -I miss him every day!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by strikeu
saw a thread a while back touting the advantages of an auto transmission on a heavy duty truck.

for some reason I can't find it now.

Diesel truck, regardless of manufacturer, what is the consensus on transmission types?

towing between 10 and 18 k lbs. some hills mostly hwy.

think RV...

Have a friend with 20 plus rock trucks on the road. 80K gross. Combination of state road, interstate, city, and rural driving. 100% automatics in his work trucks. To best of my knowledge, 100% automatics in his new personal trucks used for pulling RV trailer, 10K toy hauler, boat. He has worked hard to get where he is. He would not be buying them if they weren't making (or saving) him money...

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

LOL...

47RE and RH eh?

I have a guy that can do a rebuild that even I can't blow up... and I blow up RE and RH constantly.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
General FYI on Dodge transmissions behind a Cummins... or in general.

By design, they require a tremendously strong electrical GROUNDING.

i.e. if you ever have a Dodge auto acting all stupid on ya... fix and or add GROUNDING!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

No, why would you think that? Most people who have transmissions fail, manual or automatic, don't take them to the dealer for repair! Those that do are under warranty or they have more money than sense!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (300_savage, 35, 375sunrise, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 338Rules, 15 invisible), 1,502 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,649
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.