Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by yobuck
Back in the day, Jack O Conner could have had any glasses he wanted. But what he used were Bausch & Lomb Zephers.
Today you can find mint condition B & L zephers on Ebay for about $100. Buy a pair and compare them with anything you like.

I've got a set of vintage Zephyrs...love 'em.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I know I'll take some flack for this but here goes. The best bang for the buck binocular out there right now are the Kruger 8X42 Outbacks. I bought my first on the recommendation of John Barsness (Mule Deer) and couldn't be happier. Subsequent ones proved to be just as solid.

When Kruger went four-up, a lot of their inventory was gobbled up and sold off pretty quickly. There are a few remaining NIB ones on ebay right now. I believe when they are gone, that's it. The price is stupid cheap and I've had mine long enough to see how durable they are.

Ducking the bricks flying this way...... eek

Good shootin'. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
IMO, the very best glass of yesteryear is easily equalled or exceeded by $500 glass today. In fact, many sub $500 binoculars are fantastic optically.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
I got the Sightron 10x32's, and having looked through them a few times out the back yard my first impression is that these will be useful, although perhaps relegated to knockaround truck/boat/tractor/kitchen window duty. Which is what I bought them for anyway.

IMO in this price class ($100) my compact Leupold/Kowas seem to be better optically.

Every tool has its place, but for out west/Alaska and where a lot of long range spotting is necessary, I conclude that even though the magnification is 10x this is not the right tool: these are not mini-big eyes.

Nor is the magnification level of 10x suitable for eastern deep woods and close range work.

Horses for courses, right?
Good to know on the 10x. I’ll stick to the 8x.

Originally Posted by SKane
When it comes to a budget binocular, a good rule of thumb (from my experience) is to go the lesser magnification route.
10x32 in anything is quite a compromise - even the alpha-level stuff if lower light and/or FOV is paramount for utility/application.

Very true Scott. I would say this definitely holds true for my Cabela’s/meopta 10 X 32. The Zeiss victory fl is much better.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by blackpowder72
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by 338rcm
The $99 Sightrons on Ebay are the way to go ,although they are an 8x32. They are available in 10x32

Thanks for the heads up on these.
For a $100 truck/boat bino these are fantastic.

At $99 these beat the h*** out of anything in that price range plus they're not made in Chy-Na!!!

At $99 they beat the shít out of everything else even twice as much. After using these for a couple days, I’m about to order several more.
I'm a Meopta guy but for that price I had to order a pair just to see . Got the 10x.
Got the new Sightron in the mail and I can say best $100 I've ever spent ! I'm very impressed!! See how they hold up. Wish we could buy these from Doug. They are excellent glass for the money .

Kirk Furniss
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ordered out a pair in 8x32 and got them yesterday. Opened them just as the sun was sinking.

Stepped out on the back porch to try them and was happy with image clarity right off the bat.
Not always the case with lower priced glass.

2wice in the past few years, I've been away from home and needed an extra pair of glasses for family to use. In Wyoming I chose a pair of bushnells from a box store. In Florida I bought a pair of Nikons from a walmart. Both of these cost ~$100 and neither were really satisfactory (fuzzy optics). I think I trashed both of them before too long.

We'll see how the Sightron pair holds up, but I'm happy with them out of the box.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Mine came in yesterday. I wish I would have ordered more while on sale.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Well, this thread caught my interest several weeks ago and so I ordered a Sightiron 8x32 from Ebay for use at the backdoor of the barn. Decent Binoculars especially for the price, only complaint is that the lens caps are lacking so I'm gonna toss them. At this price point that's ok. I will keep them in the case and put that case in a gallon zip lock to protect the optics from dust.

Last edited by woods_walker; 05/07/22.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 257Bob, 2500HD, 22250rem, 257 roberts, 55 invisible), 3,369 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,705
Posts18,534,794
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.