Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Some of you may have seen the Your favorite 1911, bar none ... thread. Lots of great info there about various 1911's.

That thread was the result of my desire for a full-size Government 1911, my frustration with the California Approved Handgun roster and the choices available, and my decision to spend a few bucks and get a "one-and-done" full-size 1911 in .45 ACP. Obviously, I consulted the collective wisdom of the Campfire Handgun forum. There were LOTS of votes for a Les Baer. Truth is, I was leaning that way anyway ...

But that thread was long, and varied. Indeed, it was months between the time I decided on what to buy and actually taking delivery, and some of my follow-up posts in that thread may have been lost.

So this thread is intended to focus on ONE Les Baer Premier II. Mine.

[Linked Image]

Please pardon the repetition as I copy and paste a couple of posts from that thread here, as I want to establish a comprehensive thread regarding this pistol, and as I update you on today's results, and results to come:

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
GB1

RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
APRIL 10, 2022 - DELIVERY DAY!

Originally Posted by skeen
C'mon, Bin, it's been almost 3 months.

Don't leave us in suspense, what'd ya' buy?

Haha. Nice call.

Keep in mind, we have to deal with our infamous 10-day wait here, otherwise known as “Cali jail” ... meaning that it takes a while for the 1911 gods to deliver here ...

So, I am happy to report that I FINALLY I took possession of a Les Baer Premier II (1.5 inch guarantee) the day before yesterday, and promptly took it to the range and put 325 rounds of factory 230 FMJ RN through it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

With Milt Sparks 55BN in Cordovan

[Linked Image]

At the range.

REPORT:

As delivered:

Gun is tight, as is to be expected. Zero, and I mean zero rattle. Trigger is very good, but not great - I’d rate it an 8.5/10 (a bit of creep), safety is stiff, checkering on grips and front strap feels aggressive, ambi safety actually pretty well done ... very unobnoxious on the starboard side (I was expecting to change it out, but I am going to keep it as is).

First firing:

Started with the included Tripp mags, and it cycled fine. Moved on to Wilson Combat ETM’s, and for 10 mags in a row, the gun would fire 6 rounds and hiccup on the 7th: failure to go completely into battery. I was a little miffed/concerned, but then did a few factory Colt 7-rounders and it cycled them fine. Pretty clear it was a mag issue.

Impressions: Gun is very, very accurate. Once I got the hold figured out, I was banging steel at 35 yards keeping multiple targets moving so much I sometimes had to wait for one to stop swinging.

I don’t shoot pistols that well !

OK, so that was 100. I CLP’ed the rails and the bushing/barrel, loaded up my mags, and went for round two.

Round two:

It cycled everything, worked 100%. No hiccups. Steel kept swinging. Grinning.

That’s 200 rounds. CLP applied again.

Round three:

100% function. Still grinnin'.

grin

300 rounds.

At this point I changed ammo and shot another 1911 I had brought ... a Colt LW Commander to which I had recently added a Wilson beaver tail grip safety. The new ammo was Blazer 230 grain with aluminum casings, and one thing became apparent very quickly ... the LW kicks a WHOLE lot more.

I decided 25 was enough to test function on the Colt, and went back and put the last 25 through the Baer again with Wilson mags. MUCH nicer to shoot.

100% function. grin

INTERIM REPORT: 325 rounds fired.

I am very happy with the gun so far.

As stated, it is very, very accurate.

As expected/promised, the gun was (and still is) very tight, but functioned 100% with provided Tripp mags, and also with various Colt/Dan Wesson 7-round mags.

Shooting it in quickly ironed out the hiccup with the Wilson mags. To repeat, the first time through, ALL 10 Wilson ET mags hiccuped at the 7th round in exactly the same way. The second and third time through (and the fourth for a few of them), ALL Wilson mags cycled 100%.

The safety wore in some as well, and now operates very satisfactorily, which is to say, it feels excellent.

I’d have to say as of this moment, Les Baer delivered the goods.

Interim Post Script:

Was working the safety and dry firing later, and noticed the port side grip panel was loose. Tightened up the screws carefully and firmly. Starboard side panel was still tight.

The safety has worn in well after hundreds of cycles while bingeing on Better Call Saul.

Blisters on bottom of trigger finger and second knuckle of middle finger (trigger guard) and right side of thumb (safety). There are some edges.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
APRIL 15 ...

An update on the new Les Baer:

235 rounds fired today, all handloads.

Zero hiccups. Absolutely 100% functionality.

I am past the 500-round break-in now ... I think I’ll shoot it one more time before I break it down and perform first cleaning.

Very pleased right now!

RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
APRIL 29 ...

Put another 365 rounds through the Les Baer today, which puts my total at 925. Figured she's broken in now and just finished a thorough first cleaning (she was filthy).

First the range report:

Brought a bunch of mixed reloads this week that I wanted to shoot up and turn into brass. Last week I had the Labradar out, testing loads, and I want to start fine tuning some loads for this pistol.

First up were ~160 loads using Xtreme plated 230-grain hollow points and Titegroup. Accuracy at steel at 35 yards seemed OK, but I noticed some definite flyers and all in all, I think this is not my favorite bullet. Function was 100%.

Next up were ~50 Berry's plated 200-grain Round Shoulders and Titegroup. These were some of my early .45 ACP handloads. I had three bobbles, all exactly the same, and all identical to those I had on its maiden voyage: Wilson mags, 6th round, failure to go fully into battery. I switched to the Tripp mags included with the gun, and no more bobbles. Hmm. Thought we'd left this behind. Gonna keep watching this.

Finally were ~165 more Xtreme 230 hollows. Function was again 100% through all magazines.

Port side grip panel came loose again.

Got home, got in a quick nap, and decided it was cleaning time.

1] Very, very dirty. I had kept the gun very wet during break-in, and there was black "ink" everywhere.

2] I field stripped, removed grips, firing pin, and extractor, cleaned everything, scrubbed chamber and barrel, re-lubed and re-assembled.

The gun feels very tight and the slide now feels smooth as glass on glass.

I'm gonna need to shoot this again soon. I better get to loading ...

smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen a few of the Baers at gun shows and always loved the no BS look to them . All business and ready to rock and roll and tight as a drum always. They have always been a bit out of my reach though and probably will continue to be . Sounds like you got a really good one Rick. I hope you have a Big Blue progressive reloader, you're going to need it....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tried TightGroup, didn't care for it. Im running Clays and 230 grain bullet from RMR. Accuracy has improved much. Still have some work to do with this load. Currently using a Glock 21 as a test gun.

That Les Baer looks awesome!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Just a good clean 1911. I don't like the front cocking serrations, but they can be deleted. Good looking pistols. I'd probably get mine in .38 Super, because I already have four .45s).

Les builds good pistols.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Wow! a 1.5" guarantee & it started functioning 100% at about the 200 round mark. I might have expected one of those to need an extended break in period. Mine was the standard 3" gun & while it functioned well after 200 or so, it didn't start to feel right until approx. 600.

Sounds like you made a great score.

"One & done" ? Ha! which LB model you got you eye on for #2?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve been shooting a Missouri 200 grain RNFP over 231 powder. Fun to shoot. I have also just got some Bayou 200 SWC ‘s. they are also coated. Been trying BE with these. My Baer is the Concept V. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
You cannot go wrong with a Les Baer. Congrats.

I bought a friend's Baer SRP back in the 1990s. Fit and function was flawless. I just couldn't warm up to it (and thus eventually sold it for a profit) because, while he had bought it new with a polished blue factory finish, he had had it hard chromed due to a tiny bit of rust from frequent IWB carry, and I just can't warm up to a 1911 that's been hard chromed.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The 1.5" PII is a dang fine gun...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Mine has run like a sewing machine with everything I have fed it.

Very good choice Rick.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good choice Rick. This is the 1911 that I have come to prefer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rick, you should pick up some grips like Mackies. Then you could get matching sweaters.....

[Linked Image from i.etsystatic.com]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Glad to hear it worked out for you, Rick. My Les Baer is definitely one of my favorites. I ordered mine with the lower Hard Chromed for a two tone look, old school. Also ordered without the forward serrations and ambidextrous safety......

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Originally Posted by huntsman22
Rick, you should pick up some grips like Mackies. Then you could get matching sweaters.....

It's the Catalina Wine Mixer!

laugh

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Perfect! Good find Hunts. 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Is that a 24 hour t-shirt?

I want one.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Where does one find argyle pistol grips?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The Argyles are called skip line checkered grips and are a famous old grip from Herretts Grips of Idaho.

However now that that Bastid Huntsman has planted that seed in my head, I can't ever look at them the same! LOL laugh

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
The Argyles are called skip line checkered grips and are a famous old grip from Herretts Grips of Idaho.

However now that that Bastid Huntsman has planted that seed in my head, I can't ever look at them the same! LOL laugh

They kinda make me want a 1911.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 52 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,404
Posts18,470,164
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.