M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
Originally Posted by Bugger
This may not fall exactly in this category but when people say things like:
"Minute of deer" or "Minute of elk", I suppose they somehow are desperately trying to be relating it to minute of angle. Clearly, they do not understand what "minute" refers to or what is meant by "angle".
Another thing that bugs me is when black powder guys say something so utterly stupid such as "grains by volume" - do they even know what they are saying? Grains is mass and mass is not volume.

Grains by volume is a real thing in muzzle-loading. Guys use volume powder measures that are marked in
nominally in grains. You want it in milli-litres? Set it at 100 grains, and fill it with FF and FFF and probably neither one will weigh 100 grains on a scale but every coonskin cap wearer will call both 100 grains by volume. Fill the same measure with Pyrodex and it likely would come in at about 60 grains on a scale; but that is also 100 grains by volume. If that guy specifies 100 grains by volume he is being very specific, and careful. He could make the conversion and weigh his charges; but then he will need to specify that it is 60 grains by weight.

It gets worse; 50 grain pellets weigh about 30 grains. That doesn't mean that you can throw a few extras in there.

Well he’s just saying that the Lee dippers are calibrated by weight not by volume. Then again that doesn’t explain why the dippers have a volume to weight chart for each powder. Maybe Lee has been fugging up for what 80+ years.

Lee Dippers are sized in cubic centimeters. Its marked right on them. So are their powder measures for that matter. As Richard Lee put it; if its gonna have a number on it it may as well mean something.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
"Lee Dippers are sized in cubic centimeters. Its marked right on them. So are their powder measures for that matter. As Richard Lee put it; if its gonna have a number on it it may as well mean something."

Yep--and it's easy to check Lee Dippers for how much powder of a specific brand of powder they hold--and how consistently YOU can use them.

Know more than one professional gun writer who uses them for initial work-up of loads, because at that stage they're a lot faster than weighing each charge, whether with a balance or electronic scale.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I used them in the Northern Territory in Oz, in conjunction with an el-cheapo Lee hand press to keep my .458 running while culling buffalo. It was a way around airline ammo weight limits, and horrendous prices of factory ammo. Also used both loading 7-300, 270 Weatherby, 257 'bee and 30-06 all over Oz and NZ, but for that I also hauled a scale and a set of Competition shell holders. Low tech is a lot better than no tech.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
There's always stories. I was in a damn tire shop today and listening to bs. One guy said he shoots long range and he didn't even know what model Nightforce he has. Called it a "SVH". According to him, it's a newer Nightforce made more for longrange hunters. I wasn't the one talking to him, or I would have just laughed. Also when I went to a long range varmint silhouette match a few months ago, the guys there were telling me about a couple rednecks that showed up with their 270's and 30-06's topped with Leupold CDS scopes. They thought thew were going to whip the whole crew. Needless to say, I guess they only hit 3 targets out of 40. I'm assuming those were the close (300 yard squirrel) targets. I wasn't there, but it sounded like it was hilarious. I always hear bullschidt coming out of guys mouths, since I visit a lot of gunshops. I think Cabela's is one of the worst places to hear chidt that will make you laugh. Sometimes I'll say something like the schidt is getting pretty fu cking thick in here. Or holy fu ck you guys are stupid.. ha ha..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Yep--and it's easy to check Lee Dippers for how much powder of a specific brand of powder they hold--and how consistently YOU can use them.

Know more than one professional gun writer who uses them for initial work-up of loads, because at that stage they're a lot faster than weighing each charge, whether with a balance or electronic scale.

I still just use a set of the old Lee dippers I got from my old man back when I first started loading in high school, along with a trickler and scale for all my loading.

I kept meaning to get a powder measure, but somewhere along the way I eventually I just decided I didn't really need one anyway, since I'm normally only cranking out between 40 and 100 rounds in a sitting.

With some powders I have to do a fair bit of trickling, but with others I can dip them right on the mark onto the scale more often than not. One of those things I guess you just get a feel and eye for after a while.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
... Sometimes I'll say something like the schidt is getting pretty fu cking thick in here. Or holy fu ck you guys are stupid.. ha ha..

One day someone may take offense in an unpleasant way.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
We were jawing in the (crap- I forgot what we called it - "ready" will do). room waiting for the Ak Air flight we were working to come in. the Liar was regailing us with bang-flop 400 yard caribou shot a couple years go with his open sighted 94-22.

I happened to have my new Leupold 800i rangefinder out in the baggage/garage/freight room, picked up at the PO on the way to work.

hehehe......

"Chris - how far is it across the apron to the flag there?"

"About 250 yards - how far do you call it?"

I said :"about 100"

You're kidding!' said he.

Rangefinder said 93.

hehehe. I'd paced it off 2 days before., expecting the rangefinder.

I'd heard his stories before.... smile

Last edited by las; 04/29/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks for the laughs everybody this was an excellent read

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I mailed home a handwritten Father’s Day letter from Iraq in 2003 and later gave him a pic of myself holding the Mossberg 500 I used as the 2nd man through the door on a few raids. He framed them together later on.

Dad was in a gun shop a few years later and some guys were discussing shotguns, specifically Benelli vs REM 870. Dad asked about the Mossberg 500 pumps and mentioned I liked it. (Personally I prefer the slide release and safety locations over the 870 especially)

Guy behind the counter said the military had never, and would never, stoop to using a POS like a Mossberg when there were Benellis and 870s available. Dad brought the pic by later that week. He didn’t have much to say.

Last edited by philgood80; 04/30/22.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This stuff can go the opposite direction as well.

Take a hunter who has only hunted in the bush and never took a field shot over 100 yards in his life. For reasons known only to himself he gets a rangefinder and discovers that 300 yards is an unfathomable distance and naturally concludes that everyone who makes such claims is an incorrigible liar and can't wait to corner someone at a gun counter or online and read the gospel to him. Sometimes its better to just watch them make a fool of themselves when they call out some kid who was shooting a .257 Weatherby on the prairies since he was nine, wink

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, you don't need to bust their chops. There can be more discrete ways of telling someone that they are/were incorrect. One of our self professed gun guru type guys was up front lecturing our gun club meeting and mentioned that bullets rise when they are fired. I went up after the meeting and we had a conversation that gravity starts working on a bullet just like any other object and that bullets DO cross the line of sight twice, but only because the sight and the bullet's path intersect. I demonstrated holding a pencil level representing the barrel and another pencil to represent the sight or scope pointed slightly downward. After the conversation he Googled it and admitted that he had been mistaken when we went to the range together.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Agreed. Not everyone needs to be called out. Some are simply ill informed or inexperienced. Some are blow hard buffoons and need to be humbled. Like the guy claiming he used 20 gauge instead of a 12 because it didn’t hurt the dogs when he hit them.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can't fix stupid, but you need to know your audience. Was it Burger King that tried to market a 1/3 pound hamburger to compete with McDonald's 1/4 Pounder, but they didn't sell well because everyone knows that 4 is larger than 3!

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Blow hard Bafoons do not like to be humbled.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The best war story I have heard, was in a bar in TX. The guy was telling us that he was SF in VN and they would go on top secret missions without dog tags, name tags on their uniforms, military IDs and weapons without serial numbers......

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Windfall
You can't fix stupid, but you need to know your audience. Was it Burger King that tried to market a 1/3 pound hamburger to compete with McDonald's 1/4 Pounder, but they didn't sell well because everyone knows that 4 is larger than 3!

I think that the burger joint was A&W.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Okay, bullets don’t rise, but what do you call the quasi-parabolic arc the bullet describes in flight?

Or do you have to draw the whole line of sight graph to explain it?

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Any time someone says bullets do/don't rise they should also specify with respect to what.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Draw a quasi-parabolic arc for the bullet path relative to the bore. Then, to represent the line of sight, draw a straight line that crosses the bullet path at two points. The first intersection is the near zero and the second intersection is the far zero.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
500 yards offhand.

Okay.

The bullet had to go somewhere

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

156 members (2UP, 470Evans, 44mc, 375TN, 7887mm08, 16 invisible), 1,600 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,961
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.