Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I haven't been to a gun show in at least 20 - 25 years. They got to where they were just too 'tactical' for my interest. Too many wannabe pretend 'operators' -- skinny, weasely, little Barney Fife types and 300+ pounders with belly and butt crack shining, trying to act all Rambo like.

Inside the foyer at front door almost always one or two shady characters confronting folks entering trying to sell handguns of one kind or another 'off the record'. Tell them no thanks to one gun they'd pull another one out of a different pocket, then another, and then another...

I realized I could get better prices overall and usually at least as good and as big of a selection in ammo, new and used firearms, and shooting accessories without all the gun show B.S. at Whittaker's Guns -- and no entrance fees.

As always, YMMV...

GB1

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Only made it a couple pages deep on this one.

Don't go anymore for all the above reasons.

Used to be able to scrounge up interesting "odds and ends" but not anymore.

Rene, all I got to say is, yep.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Miss the old Bill Goodman shows in Indy back in late 80s.
Maybe early 90s.

They stopped. Now the big show is the Indy 1500.
Mostly new or newer stuff. Not my thing.

Smaller satellite shows, same or diff counties......suck as well.

Its been crap at least the last 20 yrs.
Cool old gunshops.....gone. Owners retired or passed away, kids didnt keep em going.

Im no collector and have almost all I need so can tolerate the decline.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have maintained for years that should the time come if and when I decide to whittle down my array of firearms, reloading gear, ammo, hunting gear, etc., I'm going to rent a table at a gun show. Based on pricing I've seen at gun shows over the years, I can pretty much guarantee you that I will have a regular stream of people at my table, I will charge prices like I currently do here, on other forums, and on local classifieds. I will be "sold out" half way through the first day, I will get my "reasonable" asking price and the buyers will walk away satisfied that they got the best deals at the show. I will be hated by the guys at the other tables.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Still deals at our local shows you just have to be willing to ignore the BS to get to 'em. Much like anything else in everyday life.

IC B2

X
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
X
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by poboy
No gun shows allowed in Austin\Travis County - period.
Used to be alotta fun.

Libtards in Nashvegas did the same thing.
The Bill Goodman show was the bomb around here.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I have maintained for years that should the time come if and when I decide to whittle down my array of firearms, reloading gear, ammo, hunting gear, etc., I'm going to rent a table at a gun show. Based on pricing I've seen at gun shows over the years, I can pretty much guarantee you that I will have a regular stream of people at my table, I will charge prices like I currently do here, on other forums, and on local classifieds. I will be "sold out" half way through the first day, I will get my "reasonable" asking price and the buyers will walk away satisfied that they got the best deals at the show. I will be hated by the guys at the other tables.

Big sky, no arguement from me lot of shows have scalper vendors trying to make a full time living on a weekend gig. The trick for me is on setup day see who is there and where they are at. Pay attention to who has what you are interested in and tables who are liquidating estates, they want to move stuff rfn. I stay completely away from guys trying to run a gunshop at the show because while your wasting your time with someone who will waste your time the deals you want are going out the door. Christ it just don't take a frigging genius to see it. See you at a Mt gunshow sometime you'll recognize me I don't run but am the high spd low drag guy with the swivel neck cruising right thru all the [bleep] who are socializing....Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The last gun show I went to was the big annual Iowa State Fairgrounds Thanksgiving Weekend Show 2008. 350 or more tables, everything gun related, knife related, military related, etc....

It was packed, Obama had just been elected. Prices were still normal, but as packed as things were there, I knew another shortage was coming. Bought 20,000 primers in various iterations for $20-$24 per brick. I still had 5K-6K at home, but I knew what was coming. Also picked up about 40 lbs of powder for $15-$19 per lb, depending on type.

I've seen no need to go to a gun show since.

Rode out the Obama years, and restocked somewhat during the Trump years, primarily from Scheels and LGS stores. Still have lots of things from the '08 purchase.

When supply can meet or exceed demand, guns shows supply great deals on hard to find things or estate sale items. They are a marketing tool for an LGS to get 100's of times as many eyes on his merchandise in one weekend compared to months just sitting in his shop.

When demand exceeds supply, they become an avenue for price gouging resellers.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by EdM
I hit the small ones here in the Hill Country, New Braunfels, Kerrville and the like

2021 when I got a Government COVID refund of $600 I went straight away to the New Braunfels gun show which was the very next weekend, first table I looked at going in there was a Sig 365 with night sights and ambidextrous safety (I’m a lefty). I got the last one of the two the dealer brung by just moments, narrowly beat out a couple of off-duty Cops wanting the same weapon.

IIRC the cost after taxes was just about $600.

Are you an English teacher?

He “brung” me a dictionary. ..?.?

It’s bring, brung, brang, right? 😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Ding dang dung

Not an english major, just describing gunshows LOL

Last edited by hookeye; 05/01/22.
IC B3

X
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
X
I was at that show yesterday. I had previously said I’d never go back to the Murfreesboro show for just the reasons you mention but a friend wanted to go so I rode down with him. In my opinion the ammo scalpers are the most insulting—still trying to get $20/box for shot shells that are back on Walmart shelves now for $9. I will not bite again on that show. I did think the show in Lebanon had been a little better but the last one I attended there was the same as this weekend’s experience.

I agree with you on the Cave City show. The ammo scalpers are there also but the selection of firearms and other interesting items are significantly better. I don’t however share your nostalgia for the Goodman shows. IMO just as many tables of beef jerky, jewelry and junk as the current bunch.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by 40O
Guns shows have always been a [bleep] show. If you were looking for something unique, like an old part you needed, ok. But otherwise it was just a bunch of cranky [bleep] trying to fleece the ignorant.

We used to have 2 vendors that I would go to the gun shows for. A guy who sold parts and another who had the best prices on powder, primers and bullets. He lost his wife and a daughter to covid and he has pretty much eliminated gun shows. The old boy who had the parts got sick and he has not been to a show in over a year. He was an older gentleman who really knew his gun parts. They made the show worth going to and other venders benefitted from their presence. Going to a show now just isn't the same.

kwg

It wasn't Bob, was it? I haven't been to many shows lately.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Haven’t been to one in 25 years. Fug em

R
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Xpert16
I was at that show yesterday. I had previously said I’d never go back to the Murfreesboro show for just the reasons you mention but a friend wanted to go so I rode down with him. In my opinion the ammo scalpers are the most insulting—still trying to get $20/box for shot shells that are back on Walmart shelves now for $9. I will not bite again on that show. I did think the show in Lebanon had been a little better but the last one I attended there was the same as this weekend’s experience.

I agree with you on the Cave City show. The ammo scalpers are there also but the selection of firearms and other interesting items are significantly better. I don’t however share your nostalgia for the Goodman shows. IMO just as many tables of beef jerky, jewelry and junk as the current bunch.

No schitt man!!!
Probably crossed paths in their a couple of times.
Small world.
👍👍👍

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Better entertainment than a movie. Good for people watching. I find some little thing to buy about every third show.

Bruce

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by CraigD
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I was thinking about getting a table at the IF gunshow to sell some silver and a few guns. Silver eagles have at least a $12 premium right now. I think I could sell 500 eagles at $12 over and then maybe buy generic rounds at $4 over and add to my stack. The only way to get the premiums on premium coins is to move them yourself.

I really hate doing gunshows though. Last one I did was busy but I had several things stolen because the show boss gave me 2 extra tables and asked me to fill them up so the show looked fuller. I won't fall for that again. I cant watch 3 tables by myself so primers were disappearing by the thousands.

Bb

I was at the IF show from 9:30 to 11:00...probably walked past each other. i didn't see much being sold.

I actually didn't even bother to go yesterday. I was busy building a chicken coop. The wife and kids brought home 6 chick's a few years ago and they are outgrowing their temporary crate.

I had some time in the afternoon but the sun was out a bit and it wasn't too windy to set the chrony up so i went out and cronied some 44 mag loads. I cast some lee 240g SWC bullets, powder coated them ford light blue and put a gas check on them and they're shooting pretty well. I'm trying to find a good lighter load that doesn't make my finger bleed in the 329pd. I'm getting too old for full house 310g wfn bullets in that thing.

Yesterday I tried 9 grains of titegroup, 9 grains of win 244, and 9 grains of universal. The titegrouo and w244 both shot the same speed with very little extreme spread but were a touch sticky on extraction so I dropped them both to 8.5 and I'll try again. They clocked 1120 fps avg. The universal varied from about 1020 to 1090 but wasn't too hot so I'm going to try 9.5 in it. It doesn't meter as well the other 2 so that might be part of the variation. I'm trying for a good load around 1100 that extracts easy. I've one of these don't get me there I'll try Longshot, be86, powerpistol, and 3N37 or 3n38 next.

I just couldn't give up a chance to shoot to go to the gunshow. I'm going to try to work up loads for all the different bullets I've cast and powder coated lately.

Bb

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R

Any large rifle primers there? Prices for primers?

Long post......

Murfeesboro one.
Largest in the area 350 375 tables.
Last show was probably in the fall their.
12 to get in now instead of 9..
Same sellers for most part, same inventory for most part .
Ammo and gun tables.
Prices were fuuucking absolutely ridiculous.
Must have heard inflation this inflation that a dozen times.

BS... this is mostly the same schit you been sitting on for months or years trying to sell.
Or schit from retailers you bought just like any buyer in here can get.

Not alot of people were buying it seemed.
Was their almost 5 hrs.
Looking observing watching.
Lotsa people walking away from tables.
Boo boo faces on sellers....

Talked to alot of people.
You start recognizing people who go to the shows on the circuit.
Just strike up talk with people and see where it goes
Most pretty disgusted with the sellers.

Fugging box of .22 blazer
7 bucks..

YGTBFSM....

Box of Rem 30- 06 165 gr coreloks psp
45 bucks...
Wally world like 25 26 bucks

Guns...🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Ridiculous
Post 64 top eject 94,s 800 900 bucks.

Heard the lore of patina value several times...
Whatever...
Fugging hardened rust and grime on a 40 50 yr old gun and ya wanta use the patina value lore bullschit as a selling point.

Most ammo these tards sell is bought at walmart or academy.
You can tell.
Bulky boxes
Brands
Blah blah...
Thing that ticks me off is most of these ammo table types probably dont hunt or shoot, and probably get all types of welfare benefits.

Gun sellers...

One cat had a "M70AB2" wanting 1700 bucks.
Morrissey receiver kit build with totally thrown together parts.
Zilch matching #,s
James River parts kit more than likely..
Or even a James River assembled wpn.
Most def had a US barrel recreation.

When I seen the cooling ribs on the barrel from a distance I thought I mighta been onto something.
I go over start looking at it more in depth.
Just staying silent doing my normal exam
Old dude started talking the wpn up.
Stay silent and give em rope to hang themselves
Geniune m70ab2 this that and the other.
Yugoslavia this that and the other.
Listening to his bullschit.
Then I broke it down too him it was a Franken gun and this aint my 1st rodeo on Sov bloc wpns.
Nicely....
Asked him 1 simple thing thing.
Why does it have a morrisey receiver if it is a genuine yugo wpn like you have been saying
Several people at his table are listening.
He asked me to leave.
Which I did.
Just gave him a big ole smile some eye contact and left.

Looking at other guns.

Sd9ve 499????
What the fuuuck..
Primers????
Sleeve of win 209,s
20 bucks

Fuuuuck you dude...

LR SR primers 150 to 200 bucks.

Fuuuck you dude....

Just sooo much schit to even remember from it .

Normal jerky, sword, tasar, mil junk ect ect ect ect tables.
Soap
Jewelry
Osprey scopes.
Didnt see the water running of the shingles fake roof guy...

I stopped going to gun shows in 2005.
Started back up 2017 ish again.

This one was the worst..

And the place was packed but not alot of buying.
Even hearing comments from some sellers about meeting table cost and how slow business was and how tight buyers are with their money according to them.

Fuuuck you dude.......
How tight buyer are with their money.

How about how you sleaze balls use any pretext to increase prices on schit you been sitting for months or years or schit you buy at walmart to sell.

Fed auto match 325,s of .22
32 a bx

Fuuuuck you dude....
21.67 from wally world where you got it from...

Some Sellers actually started clearing their tables around 230.
Geuss buyers are too tight with their money....

If this is gonna be the new prevailing inflation attitude from sellers which was strongly felt by alot of buyers/ people I talked to today.

I dont see myself going to another gun show on the mid tn circut anymore.
A waste of time after todays overall experience and observations....

Its all capitalism.👍👍👍👍
But these sellers general attitude seems to be biting em in the azz finally.

LGS,s
Wally world
Academy
Rural king
Midsouth
Pawn shops
Online order stuff
Around here are the way to go.....

Still got the sheer humanity entertainment value outta going.
That was about it...

Rant over...

👍👍👍👍👍

R
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by ribka

Long post......

Murfeesboro one.
Ammo and gun tables.

BS... this is mostly the same schit you been sitting on for months or years trying to sell.

Was their almost 5 hrs.

7 bucks..

YGTBFSM....

45 bucks...

Guns...🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Ridiculous

Whatever...
Fugging hardened rust and grime on a 40 50 yr old gun and ya wanta use the patina value lore bullschit as a selling point.

You can tell.
Bulky boxes
Brands
Blah blah...
Thing that ticks me off is most of these ammo table types probably dont hunt or shoot, and probably get all types of welfare benefits.

Gun sellers...

Zilch matching #,s

When I seen the cooling ribs on the barrel from a distance I thought I mighta been onto something.
Then I broke it down too him it was a Franken gun and this aint my 1st rodeo on Sov bloc wpns.
Nicely....
Why does it have a morrisey receiver if it is a genuine yugo wpn like you have been saying
He asked me to leave.
Which I did.

Looking at other guns.

Sd9ve 499????
What the fuuuck..
Primers????
Sleeve of win 209,s
20 bucks

Fuuuuck you dude...

Fuuuck you dude....

Soap
Jewelry
Osprey scopes.

This one was the worst..

Even hearing comments from some sellers about meeting table cost and how slow business was and how tight buyers are with their money according to them.

Fuuuck you dude.......

How about how you sleaze balls use any pretext to increase prices on schit you been sitting for months or years or schit you buy at walmart to sell.

32 a bx

Fuuuuck you dude....

If this is gonna be the new prevailing inflation attitude from sellers which was strongly felt by alot of buyers/ people I talked to today.

Its all capitalism.👍👍👍👍

LGS,s
Wally world
Academy
Rural king
Midsouth
Pawn shops
Online order stuff

That was about it...

Rant over...

👍👍👍👍👍

150 to 200 a K.....
🥴🥴🤨

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Haven't been to a show in a very long time
Years ago they were a great place to go and
find various bargains. Used but not abused
knives and guns, parts, accessories, misc.
Back in the smoking days, lots of nice cigars
to be had reasonably. Many samples of wild
game sausages and jerky. All around greatness.
Hasn't been that way in years

Mostly the overpriced AR and Glock show now,
with several booths with the AR and Glock parts
installation man and the knife sharpening man
with the cardboard wheels. Yuppies blocking the
aisles with their too-young sobbing toddlers.
Not even close to the pleasant all-day experience
it was years ago. More like the stroke inducing
high blood pressure can't wait to get out of here
and get in the truck and haul a$$ experience now

There's other things, but I won't go into it to
save arguments

YUPPIES?
You're dating yourself, there, Ranger! smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R

jfc

Originally Posted by ribka

Long post......

Murfeesboro one.
Ammo and gun tables.

Was their almost 5 hrs.

7 bucks..

YGTBFSM....

45 bucks...

Guns...🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Ridiculous

Whatever...

You can tell.
Bulky boxes
Brands
Blah blah...

Gun sellers...

Zilch matching #,s

Nicely....
He asked me to leave.
Which I did.

Looking at other guns.

Sd9ve 499????
What the fuuuck..
Primers????
Sleeve of win 209,s
20 bucks

Fuuuuck you dude...

Fuuuck you dude....

Soap
Jewelry
Osprey scopes.

This one was the worst..

Fuuuck you dude.......

32 a bx

Fuuuuck you dude....

Its all capitalism.👍👍👍👍

LGS,s
Wally world
Academy
Rural king
Midsouth
Pawn shops
Online order stuff

That was about it...

Rant over...

👍👍👍👍👍

150 to 200 a K.....
🥴🥴🤨

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (16gage, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,782 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,304
Posts18,526,023
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.