Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by IA_fog
It’s all about how your mindset id
If you try to make positive it will be better than worse. Seen a few older friends do it and their mind got them thru it or it didn’t
What kind of cancer ins it may i ask

This is Seminoma (Wait, isn't that a Korean crossover vehicle?) Cancer of the germ cells of the testes. I had my left nut removed back in September. They must have missed something. They keep telling me this is cancer is easy to treat-- that it succumbs easily to chemo and radiation.

Thanks all. I'll let y'all know how it goes. I'll be taking a laptop, so who knows! Maybe I'll be able to report live from Les Marches du Pays Inconnu.

Ah! Monsieur Shaman? Party of One? Yes, we have your table right over there next to Le Trou Oubli. We have you scheduled for Le jus d'insecte a la Buick with a carry-out order of Biscuits et Sauce Nausées. N'est Pas? An attendant will be with you shortly.

It sounds so much better in French.

Originally Posted by ACTDad
I have had 5 different kinds of chemo, in my experience the eorsy part is the antcipation. The side effects are unpleasant but temporary. I also found that keeping a positive mindset help a lot.

Must remember you CAN beat cancer. And then do what it takes to win the fight

I hope "eorsy" is another way of saying "worst."

Last edited by shaman; 05/01/22.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I forgot to add - both you and kyhillchick have our prayers.
May you recover completely, and have an easy journey back to health.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I had Hodgkin's Lymphoma at age 32. Wife had Mantle Cell Lymphoma at 44. Treatment was rough to say the least. But, as mentioned above there are many, many different types of chemo. Some people get through it without much fuss.

Not going to sugarcoat it. When it's bad, it's really bad. And, the effects are cumulative. My advice, prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Best of luck to you, sir!

God speed.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I guess I didn't answer the original question. Most likely your first day won't be bad at all. Like I said, most of the side effects are cumulative. Give it a few weeks. That's when the accumulated toxins start bringing you down.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can't tell you from a personal level of experience but I watched my father go through it. He didn't beat the Big C. After watching Dad, I'll never do it.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Today, chemo is a collective name for a whole range of cancer treatments. Each one is designed to be effective on a certain type of cancer, gene type, etc., etc..

The best way to describe chemo as a collective term is to say it's like taking a medically controlled poison. Chemos do not attack just the tumor/s that you may have. It attacks everything inside of you to some extent. How one person handles a particular chemo treatment may be far different than how the next person handles the same chemo.

One element to having chemo is that you need to be fairly strong going in the front door as chemo will progressively wear you and your body down.

Take the chemo if it's a known and accepted treatment for the type of cancer that you have. I'd bet the farm that it is..... You'll definitely feel its effect, but keep on trucking and put the experience behind you as you get back to normal.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I think having the metal taste in my mouth was horrible. Lemon drops or hard peppermint candies helped. When you feel your hair follicles feel like ice picks, shave off your hair that has not already fallen out.

Take books, iPad, anything to entertain you during chemo. The chair gets hard quickly. I also took blankets because the chemo felt like it had just come out of the freezer or felt like it.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Best wishes & be tuff.........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Good luck and beat it.

Obviously really really watch your diet and carbs and sugars intake

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Continued prayers for total recovery.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
No experience with it but I hope you kick cancers ass

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by J4Me
I had Hodgkin's Lymphoma at age 32. Wife had Mantle Cell Lymphoma at 44.

What an interesting hobby to share. I tried to get KYHillChick into reloading, but she never took a shine to it.

Originally Posted by J4Me
Give it a few weeks. That's when the accumulated toxins start bringing you down.

It sounds a lot like harpsichord major I dated for a while.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I don’t have any personal experience with chemo myself but I have had too many loved ones that did. As mentioned above the best hedge against the side effects of chemo is being in a good frame of mind. Having read about your experience with this cancer and the honest way that you’ve approached this I think you’re better than halfway there. You’re attitude is inspiring and you have a lot of cyber friends across this country that are pulling for you and praying for you….I’m one of those people.

God bless you and give you comfort during your journey to beat cancer!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good luck and prayers to you .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good Luck Shaman for you and your family. Prayers are sent.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
For me the 3 rounds of a 3 drug 3x weekly regimen that was described by my doc as "high strength" were no walk in the park. Lost darn near 80 lbs down to like 140 and looked like a walking skeleton. Lost the energy and strength to do most anything beyond going from the recliner to the pisser.And slept ALOT. Beyond the loss of energy my most annoying side affect was having to piss....ALOT. That was most likely from the 3 extra liters of saline they infused between the chemo drugs. Often had to drag the IV pole 10+ times to the bathroom while getting the 7 hours worth of infusions. Usually had to stop 4 or 5 times on the 50 mile drive home from the hospital and once counted being out of bed 27 times to piss in 9 hours of trying to sleep. I was also COLD most of the time.

Also lost most of sense of taste and foods I normally like were unappealing to me. One of the few things I actually enjoyed and could tolerate eating was actually Meat Lovers pizza from Pizza Hut lol.

Beyond that the Chemo lowered my white blood cell count critically low and I had 3 Nuelasta injections. At one point I had developed what appeared to be a sinus infection that hit me HARD and was treated with some high strength antibiotics and had my treatments suspended for a week.

Took me over a year to feel "normal" again as far as physical activity, weight, strength etc.

As far as the actual time at the infusion center I mostly browsed the internet or slept.

Importantly I kept a postive mental outlook and pushed myself to do as much activity as I could physically tolerate. The infusion nurses were amazed that I did as much as I did.

My oncologist described chemo as "poisoning me to make me better". This was made more evident by the chemo nurses wearing full heavy gowns, face shields,2 pair of gloves etc when handling the chemo drugs!

On the positive note I am 9+ years cancer free and have no noticeable lasting effects beyond being alot harder to start an IV on and my hands and feet seem to get cold faster.

Last edited by marktheshark; 05/01/22.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Never had it but the wife has been on and off it since 2010. Sometimes she goes to bed as soon as she gets home and sometimes she keeps going like nothing happened. The first dose they will probably give you a dose of steroids to help keep you going. The wife had them eliminate it after the first time because it turned her into the engergizer bunny to the point where she couldn't sleep.

She couldn't wait to get chemo started because she knew the cancer cells were going to be slaughtered and that made her feel good. There is a battle when her neutrophils are low and they don't want to infuse her because her immune system is so weak. She is willing to take the risk but there are policies the medical people have to abide by. She hates coming home thinking the cancer isn't being beseiged.

When we take her into the infusion room each week there are twenty some stations with people getting flooded with one poison or another. We haven't witnessed a bad reaction yet. It's a pretty refined art by now, nothing like the old days.

Those nurses will take care of you like you're their own people.

Don't worry and do what they say.

God bless and Good Luck!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yes I should have added that my oncologist and especially the nursing staff at the infusion center were BY FAR the best, most caring medical staff I have ever dealt with!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nobody I know gives chemo good reviews. 80 percent tell me they aren't sure if they'll do it again, it was that bad for them. I myself am pretty much terminal, but considering chemo after Labor Day (I want this possibly-final summer) if the odds are "good" I'll get another summer by nearly killing my wannabee killer. CONSIDERING it.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shaman, Prayers up.

To me the 4th round of Chemo was the worst because I was freakN spent !

My tips are don’t give up, re-evaluate what “feeling good” is, drink lots of water, and remember that fried chicken taste the same coming up as it did going down.

Goodluck !

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 05/01/22.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17Hunter, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 70 invisible), 2,776 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,434
Posts18,507,643
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.