Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by moosemike
Good to know since I can't find Yellow Jackets or Stingers anymore

Ordered 10 boxes of Stingers directly from CCI this morning. And then found a couple of boxes of Stingers at the local gun shop.

Life is good live it while you can.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used velocitors & like em. I generally use CCI mini mag in rifles, and stingers in auto pistols

Romans 5:1
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
TrueGrit: What grain bullet is that which is speeding along at 1,640 F.P.S.?
Maybe I will try to look up their website.
TIA
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
TrueGrit: Went to the C.C.I. website and they showed a box of C.C.I. Stingers that read on it 32 grain bullets at 1,640 F.P.S.!
That is extra perky - with that 20% lighter bullet.
Maybe I will try some of those next time I see them for sale?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Again keep up the good work/options C.C.I.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just shot a big coon under the light at 112yds with a Stinger. It was looking straight towards me, it dropped and then staggered off into the shadows. I'll shoot some other varmints off of it tomorrow.
The Stingers shot 5 1/2" higher than the Norma TAC at 100yds. About 1" high at 50 puts them dead on at 100. The Stingers don't group quit as well as the Norma but I'm going to like them for killing stuff inside of 150yds.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Just shot a big coon under the light at 112yds with a Stinger. It was looking straight towards me, it dropped and then staggered off into the shadows. I'll shoot some other varmints off of it tomorrow.
The Stingers shot 5 1/2" higher than the Norma TAC at 100yds. About 1" high at 50 puts them dead on at 100. The Stingers don't group quit as well as the Norma but I'm going to like them for killing stuff inside of 150yds.
Stingers will shoot flatter but don't hit as hard at 100 yards and beyond as a regular high velocity HP. They also won't expand at 100 yards. You gain flatter trajectory but at the expense of accuracy and energy.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Stingers will shoot flatter but don't hit as hard at 100 yards and beyond as a regular high velocity HP. They also won't expand at 100 yards. You gain flatter trajectory but at the expense of accuracy and energy.

Not expanding might be a good thing when shooting hogs at longer ranges. Explain the lack of expanding if you would, your losing me on that. Thanks, Vince

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Not expanding might be a good thing when shooting hogs at longer ranges. Explain the lack of expanding if you would, your losing me on that. Thanks, Vince
I mean they just don't open at 100 yards. Not in flesh, not in jugs of water and not in ballistic gel. They're just going too slow by the time they get that far out. At 112 yards they'll do about the same as a .22 short solid would at 12 yards and that's not enough for quick kills on varmints the size and tenacity of grown coons or woodchucks with anything but head shots.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think what Blackheart is saying is the Stingers shed velocity too quickly and a high velocity 40 grainer will do more at 100

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CCI's web site shows at 100 yards the difference in 32 gr Stingers and 40 gr. Mini-Mags, The stinger is 68 FPS faster with about 9 ft lbs less energy.

Personal experience tells me Stingers are more effective over all on small critters, and I have no idea about hogs.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think what Blackheart is saying is the Stingers shed velocity too quickly and a high velocity 40 grainer will do more at 100
There are very few .22 LR HP's that will still expand at 100 yards, whether high velocity or hyper velocity. Just like jacketed centerfire bullets, they've got velocity thresholds below which they simply will not expand. Stingers and Mini-Mag HP's are both below that threshold by the time they reach 100 yards. I can't say about the Velocitor as I haven't used them. You want expansion at the longest distance possible out of a .22 LR bullet, look for a wide, deep HP and/or one designed to expand at close range from a pistol. One I know that will still expand at that distance is the old Remington Yellow jacket. Unfortunately those now appear to be discontinued.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 700LH
CCI's web site shows at 100 yards the difference in 32 gr Stingers and 40 gr. Mini-Mags, The stinger is 68 FPS faster with about 9 ft lbs less energy.

Personal experience tells me Stingers are more effective over all on small critters, and I have no idea about hogs.
At shorter ranges where a Stinger will still expand, yes they are more effective on small critters. At 100 yards it isn't going to make much difference as neither will expand.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Blackheart: You touch upon the current dilemma - ammo availability!
Much ammo is not available or available only sporadically.
My out of state Hunting partner bought those "Velocitors" because they were the ONLY hollow-point 22 L.R. ammo on that stores shelf.
I am glad we ran across them.
I shot some more C.C.I. Velocitors yesterday at Ground Squirrels and I am completely uncertain if they "expanded" there at 100+ yards but the smallish Varmints sure were "whopped"! Or killed cleanly, in more technical terms.
"Expansion" may or may not be occurring out there but "lethality" was!
If I were to go Hog Hunting I would use a centerfire Rifle for sure with appropriate bullets.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Good thread

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There are very few .22 LR HP's that will still expand at 100 yards, whether high velocity or hyper velocity. Just like jacketed centerfire bullets, they've got velocity thresholds below which they simply will not expand. Stingers and Mini-Mag HP's are both below that threshold by the time they reach 100 yards. I can't say about the Velocitor as I haven't used them. You want expansion at the longest distance possible out of a .22 LR bullet, look for a wide, deep HP and/or one designed to expand at close range from a pistol. One I know that will still expand at that distance is the old Remington Yellow jacket. Unfortunately those now appear to be discontinued.

Yeah the Yellow Jackets were my all time favorite. Haven't seen them in years now. I went to Mini Mags but they ain't the same

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Top three lines give some relative differences in MV/ME, and downrange velocity/energy between the CCI MiniMag, CCI Stinger, and CCI Velocitor.

[Linked Image from cartsync-blaze4.azureedge.net]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Yeah the Yellow Jackets were my all time favorite. Haven't seen them in years now. I went to Mini Mags but they ain't the same
I liked them too. They were my favorite of the hyper velocity hp's. Not only because of their expansion but also because they were by far the most accurate hypers in my .22's. It would be nice if Vista could see fit to bring them back. I'm down to my last 300 rds..

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Top three lines give some relative differences in MV/ME, and downrange velocity/energy between the CCI MiniMag, CCI Stinger, and CCI Velocitor.

[Linked Image from cartsync-blaze4.azureedge.net]
You'll notice further down the list that there are several .22 LR loads that retain more energy at 100 yards and beyond than Stingers. Many of them are regular high velocity rounds that use heavier bullets. Of course few of them actually produce the advertised velocities. The last batch of stingers I chronographed missed the mark by 100 fps out of a 20" barrel.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Yeah the Stingers speed really only gives it advantages out to maybe 100 yards, after than the lower weight and lower BC start to show. I've tried Stingers a few times, and they have never excelled in the accuracy department either. Still, a potent little 22 round inside 100 yards or so for most practical purposes.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Those of us sitting on a goodly supply of assorted 22LR ammo maybe ought to consider setting up a trading network where we can all end up with the ammo that shoots best in our particular firearm.

LOL
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

303 members (1lesfox, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 24 invisible), 1,864 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,837
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.