Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Montana Marine: Thank you for that informative chart.
I will try to copy and paste it - if not successful could you direct me to its source for copying there?
TIA
And thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Fireball2: Count me in.
Good idea.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Montana Marine: Disregard that source inquiry - it copied and pasted (is that a word?) just fine.
Thanks again.
And on that list is one of the Remington 22 L.R. offerings I could NOT remember the name of and have also not seen in a long time the Remington "Viper".
I used to use those on occasion way back when.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Montana Marine: Disregard that source inquiry - it copied and pasted (is that a word?) just fine.
Thanks again.
And on that list is one of the Remington 22 L.R. offerings I could NOT remember the name of and have also not seen in a long time the Remington "Viper".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

If I remember correctly the Viper was the solid version of the Yellow Jacket

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by moosemike
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

If I remember correctly the Viper was the solid version of the Yellow Jacket
Yes it was. I still have 400 of those left too.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Here's where I found the info.

https://www.mcarbo.com/22LR-Ballistics-Chart

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
There are a few on that chart that aren't .22LR's. I see a Remington high velocity .22 short and two CB's on the list.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll need to look, but think I have some Yellow Jackets, and will try to get some into water filled milk jugs at 100 yards soon.

It will be interesting to see how many they will penetrate at the distance or if the bullet will stay in lined up jugs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WW Power-Points, the early ones anyways were always quite deadly and very accurate. As to expansion of various rounds, it may sound counter intuitive, but I would expect Subsonic HPs - the CCI to open downrange, due to it's cavity depth and volume. That likely applies to others - I believe one or two from overseas like RWS may also be similar. Not sure how they would kill at long range, as they start out slower, though will have less ballistic lag because of it, so shed speed slower.

Yellow Jackets were my choice back in college in a 4" M17 - it was deadly on various critters out to near 100 yards, how much was the bullet used vs placement, I cannot say. It did put things down quick.

In rifles, I noticed a difference in WW PPs vs CCI Mini-Mag HPs. PPs being more lethal downrange. No experience....yet with Velocitors.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes the old Power Points were good too. Another with a deep, gaping hollow point that expanded well. The old Dynapoints didn't expand for shyt though and might just as well been solids. Same for those copper plated 550 bulk pack Federals with the dinky little dimple in the end.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know about that brand, but HP's versus solids makes a substantial difference with the former seriously laying the squirrels out. Good accuracy with solids, but they just don't thump the squirrels or flip them end for end.

Last edited by 1minute; 05/08/22.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you want to lay waste to smaller animals, put a CCI Segmented Mini-mag into the front half.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I tried those "Quick Shok" hyper velocity segmented hp .22's when they first came out. They were very destructive on small critters at close range. Couldn't say how they'd be farther out because they were too inaccurate to hit anything beyond spitting distance.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Was news to me that the Remington Yellow Jackets were discontinued, bummer. I did wet newspaper test awhile back and those seemed the most consistent.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I tried those "Quick Shok" hyper velocity segmented hp .22's when they first came out. They were very destructive on small critters at close range. Couldn't say how they'd be farther out because they were too inaccurate to hit anything beyond spitting distance.

Not what I'm talking about at all.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't think they are discontinued, just not currently being made.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 250Sav_age
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Not what I'm talking about at all.
I knew that.
Originally Posted by 250Sav_age
I don't think they are discontinued, just not currently being made.
They are not listed on the Remington ammunition website since Vista took over.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
1minute: I host a LOT of Ground Squirrel Hunters each year and I am going to have to "politely" somehow insist that no more round nose rimfire bullets nor standard velocity rimfire bullets be used when I am hosting.
The downrange results on the Varmints are just not even close to humanely dispatching the little targets.
Have had the round nose/standard velocity munitions show up three times now in the last three years - inappropriate, inadequate and inhumane.
Again good work you guys at C.C.I. on the perky and lethal Velocitors - I still need to get them to the bench at my range for accuracy clarification.
The local Murdochs sold out of these by the way - which brings up another aspect - ammo availability at any particular moment/day?
So I'll put the word out next winter to give my Hunting friends all time to acquire hollow-points.
Snowing here again today.
Damn.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can’t get them to expand so I went back to Stingers. They do kill very well including deer but its the velocity and penetration doing it.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Velocitors are good, but I prefer Winchester 42gr Power point.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 308ld, Anaconda, 35, 12 invisible), 1,691 guests, and 836 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,744
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.