Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Apparently I wasn't either. It's a model 99B, not 99A. The 99A wasn't a takedown, the 99B was. And nobody caught my error.. tsk tsk. grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
GB1

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Here is a photo of my 1939 EG in 300. I wondered what the extra screws were for. If I remember correctly 383,000 range. Came with the "R" forend. I have since replaced it with a wood plus forend and added the new style marbles sight which works well. Hopefully one day find an originally forend but for now this works. [Linked Image]

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Looks like holes for a Pachmayer side mount. Like on this.

[Linked Image from picturearchive.gunauction.com]

Yeah, I read that the "A" was not take down. I'm too new to the model to second guess what I don't know. Either way, thanks again for the info!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"But it has a ramped front sight. I thought that the B had a post in a cut directly on the barrel."

The ramp front sight was added at around 299000 serial.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

IC B2

Originally Posted by Rick99
"But it has a ramped front sight. I thought that the B had a post in a cut directly on the barrel."

The ramp front sight was added at around 299000 serial.

Wow, so at 299566, mine is one of the first...thousand, with the ramp! grin

Last edited by Ceapea; 04/30/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 99K, serial # 2986xx. Still has the pinched front sight. Your rifle is a very early ramp front sight.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Another thing I am seeing is, that on the later take-down models, only a 1/4 turn is needed to remove the barrel. Mine needs more than four full turns to come off...

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ceapea
Another thing I am seeing is, that on the later take-down models, only a 1/4 turn is needed to remove the barrel. Mine needs more than four full turns to come off...

The early takedowns came off with a quarter turn. Any made after fall of 1919 are the full turn takedown threads.

Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by Ceapea

The early takedowns came off with a quarter turn. Any made after fall of 1919 are the full turn takedown threads.

Ah, okay. I had it backwards. Thanks again.

IC B3

Does anyone know the part number for the front sight ramp hood? Numrich has a bunch for the 99, but many different alpha characters for the same (I assume their) part number.
An example...
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/990630A

Another thing, I am considering replacing the crescent butt stock with a shotgun style. Numrich also has some of those, which look to be period correct/authentic (old and used), for a reasonable cost. Brownell's has new production stocks that they say will fit. But it will not look right. Too new!
Anyway, I have an 1873 with the crescent butt and I don't like it at all. It is not as pronounced as the old Savage curvature/plate is. So, can a non-crescent butt stock be fitted to my rifle? I have read where people just cut off the crescent part and put a new plate on. I can't even imagine doing that. I'd just use any limb-saver pad that would fit, before doing that!

Thanks!

Craig

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Well.. the 1920's/1930's Savage 99's were never fitted with a sight hood. So if you were to try to fit one, it'd be a custom fitting. If your sight is set up for a sight hood, it's likely a replaced sight and you'll want to figure out the brand to find a hood.

And no other buttplate will fit the buttstock of your rifle except for the crescent buttplate. The easiest solution is probably a slip on recoil pad, would make the buttstock a bit longer but no changes needed to the rifle. Don't leave the slip on pad on the rifle, most will cause the wood that's covered to age differently.

Take a look at the front sight pic from my pic on the 27th (pg 4, near bottom.) I will pick up the rifle from the gunsmith tomorrow, so I can't look at it right now. But you will see what the top of the ramp/sight post looks like.

As far as the butt plate, I actually want to replace the entire rear stock, with a conventional (shotgun?) style. Of course, I'd keep the original for collector purposes. Not that this one will be especially collectable. I have considered using a conventional slip on pad. And, yes, remove it after use...of course.
Thanks,
Craig

Last edited by Ceapea; 05/04/22.
I've got another question. I just picked up the rifle from the gunsmith and I forgot to ask him to look at another hopefully, small issue. When the chamber is empty, not cocked, the lever can (and does often) fall open about a 1/4". Then, if any pressure at all is applied to the top of the slide, the lever drops even more and the action opens. Is this an easy fix? Or do I need to have my smith look at it? Actually, I'm surprised that he didn't catch that himself.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There is a sticky about this at the top of the forum, I think it's referred to as "lever droop" or something similar.

Originally Posted by damnesia
There is a sticky about this at the top of the forum, I think it's referred to as "lever droop" or something similar.

Thanks a bunch!!

I got to shoot my "new" 99 the other day. I bore sighted it at home the day before. And that paid off, as the sights setting was off by quite a bit. The gun shoots great! Had it zeroed in after 8-10 shots. With the irons, and my bad eyes, I was able to get 2", 3 shot groups at 65 yd. Not the best, but hey, my eyes can only do so much. That, and my intended purpose for this rifle is 6"-10" steel plates from 30 to 70 yd. Perfect. Now, I just gotta develop a nice, slightly reduced, lead bullet load.
One other thing that did come up, when shooting from the bench, off bags, the fore stock (takedown model) came off a few times. Not thinking too much about it, I took a few off hand shots to see what I could do with it. Forgetting about the fore stock falling off, on the first shot (I hold all my rifles with my support hand on the bottom of the receiver and my elbow tucked into my hip, a' la CMP high power shooting hold) and the stock fell right off...onto the gravel bedding I was standing on! Dang it!! A few new scratches and dents on the old girl. Anyway, is this common? When I got home, I took apart the take down button and wove into the spring, a second spring. I had to trim that second spring a few times, but now it is much more difficult to take the fore stock off, but it does still do so. Hopefully, that will take care of that problem. Any other ideas? What else should I be looking for?
Thanks.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Those 330 Weavers look a LOT like my 29s. Mine has the screw adjustments instead of the knurled knobs with the spring in between. It is clearly marked 29s. Currently, it's on my Savage 6A. Will be sending it to Vintage Gun Scopes for a clean and service. It's a SWEET scope! Especially for a 3/4 inch tube!
It would be exceptionally cool on my '48 99EG...
Maybe when my eyes are too shot for aperture sights.
God forbid!!!

Keepin my back green and my powder dry.
The LORD bless and keep you
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know the cost of cleaning but might be about the same to just buy another that does not need cleaning...then you would have two.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I think Iron Sights charged me $125 to completely rebuild my Malcolm, including taking a dent out of the tube.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (06hunter59, 1_deuce, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 222Sako, 1minute, 70 invisible), 2,636 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,564
Posts18,473,207
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.