Print Thread
Hop To
G
GrimJim Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Some years ago I bought a pair of Zeiss Victory FL T* 7x42 binoculars, just in case I needed a back-up to my Swarovski SLC and SLC Neu 7x42 binoculars. I never did, so they sat there in the safe, idle. I bought them as open box samples, but they showed no sign of use. A couple of years ago it was pointed out to me that there was a dent in the objective end of one of the tubes. This was a surprise as they rarely leave the safe, so I have no idea how that happened. As one of my retirement projects I sent them in last week to Zeiss Customer Service in Kentucky. I was hoping for a warranty repair, but prepared to receive an estimate for the cost of repairing them. I received an email from Zeiss stating that the issues I discussed were not covered under warranty but Zeiss would repair them anyway at no cost to me. They would be done and back to me in 3-5 days. I received them today. The tube was reshaped, the lenses cleaned and collimation and focus were all checked. They look brand new. This is excellent service and support.

Now I have a pair of Zeiss Victory FL T* 7x42 binoculars in excellent condition with the Zeiss carrying case, lens covers and now two sets of carrying straps that I really don't need, as I have added a Tract Toric 8X42 to my two Swarovskis. I did some online reseach. These were discontinued 8 years ago, but the birding community seeks them out in the second hand market, according to one source I read. There is a similar pair listed on Ebay for $1999. Items are worth what someone will pay for them. Are these really worth $2000? If so, on what online forum should I offer them to find someone able and interested enough to pay that amount?

Thanks

GrymJym

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm not sure if they would bring $2k but I would bet they would bring $12-1500. When these were new they were considered top tier alpha glass. More of a competitor of the EL not so much the SLC. You can list them here or Rokslide and should have no problem selling them. Good luck

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am not sure they will bring that much. I just bought an identical pair to yours, except 10 x 42 T new in box for $950.00 a month ago. They have great glass, and looks like mine goes for $1250.00 in excellent condition. I always wanted some alpha glass. They are worth what you can get for them. Good luck

G
GrimJim Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
ShortMag11 and sidewinder72, thanks for your replies.

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Jim,

I have that same 7x42 binoc, and love them. Mine have seen plenty of use, but are no worse for the wear.

I hate to derail your post, but would be interested in your impression of the Tract bino in comparison to the Zeiss and Swaro.

Good luck with your sale!!

David

IC B2

G
GrimJim Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
x2mosg, I am a political scientist so I can't competently discuss all the optical characteristics of the three binoculars. I bought the Zeiss and Swarovski binoculars a while back when you could get them for about $1100. They are also 7x42 which are now hard to find.

I did not really need to buy an 8x42, but I did anyway. The Tract Toric is one third the price of the Zeiss or Swarovski and does not give that much up in performance. It is certainly more than adequate for my needs (I don't watch birds). I would not myself have paid $2200 for a third binocular. I tended to buy rifles that I don't really need more than binoculars I don't really need.

Grymjym

Last edited by GrimJim; 04/15/22.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
1k ish. The 7x42 are usually a harder sell for hunters, birders like them more.

Also check to see if it has the eyebrow or swish over the serial number. That means the lenses have the easy clean hydrophobic Loutec coating, of no mark they dont. Makes about a $100 or so difference in value to a knowledgeable buyer.

Spence

Last edited by spence1875; 04/15/22.
G
GrimJim Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by spence1875

Also check to see if it has the eyebrow or swish over the serial number. That means the lenses have the easy clean hydrophobic Loutec coating, of no mark they dont. Makes about a $100 or so difference in value to a knowledgeable buyer.

Spence

It has the swish mark and a Lotutec sticker. Now to find some bird watchers.

Thanks,

Grymjym

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by spence1875
Spence

Yep. I sold mine (w/Lotutec) 5-ish years ago for right around that price.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Originally Posted by GrimJim
x2mosg, I am a political scientist so I can't competently discuss all the optical characteristics of the three binoculars. I bought the Zeiss and Swarovski binoculars a while back when you could get them for about $1100. They are also 7x42 which are now hard to find.

I did not really need to buy an 8x42, but I did anyway. The Tract Toric is one third the price of the Zeiss or Swarovski and does not give that much up in performance. It is certainly more than adequate for my needs (I don't watch birds). I would not myself have paid $2200 for a third binocular. I tended to buy rifles that I don't really need more than binoculars I don't really need.

Grymjym

That's the reason I asked. I love my Zeiss bino, but I'd rather spend money on a rifle and better quality scope for it, and have a "good enough" bino. So far I like the one Tract Toric scope that I own and I've read good stuff on their binos as well. I'm considering a 10x42 or possibly just adding a set of "big eyes" to my equipment.

Thanks and good luck selling your bino.

IC B3

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Glad to hear your luck but I just sent a pair into Zeiss and they sent three different prices back to me. Has anyone else had this happen. They were an older pair of dialyt 10x40

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

463 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 257_X_50, 1Longbow, 22kHornet, 55 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,743
Posts18,495,111
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.