Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Garandanimal.

Why wouldn't it be stable at >400 yards?

Have heard from friends that have tried'em... with poor results out of 1:10 twist Bbl's.

Appears to be hit/miss.

Originally Posted by high_country_
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Originally Posted by Remington280
Just averaged 3050 with 150 ABLR and R26 (59) 24" barrel, Nosler brass.

Me too.

Originally Posted by elkcountry
Me three! 59gr of RL26 seemed to be about all my rifle could take with 150’s. A 150gr. ABLR (or Accubond or Partition) at 3050fps would be a wicked killer! However a 130gr. TBT at just over 3200fps is much more accurate with 61gr of RL26 in my Weatherby!

How is the stability of the 150 gr. ABLR from what I assume is a std. 1:10 twist rate.

This is one of the few bullets I would consider pushing the MV on, for really long range work.

... IF it was precise and stable at > 400 yards.

GR

I beat on the flowers and rocks that grow on the ridge 1100 yards out. Seems to stay moa at worst if I do everything correctly.

That's what I'd be lookin' for.

Was considering a 1:8 twist .270 Win. Bbl. to facilitate it.

GR

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Apparently you believe in the same misconception that many do--that bullets started to "destabilize" at longer ranges due to reduced velocity.
This is exactly the opposite of what happens, as there are two forces at work in bullet stabilization: Air pressure on the front of the bullet, which tends to destabilize the bullet, and gyroscopic spin, which stabilizes the bullet.

Air pressure comes from velocity, which decreases far faster than bullet spin. This is why bullets become MORE stable as range increases, until they drop to around the speed of sound--which is far below the velocity of higher-BC hunting bullets drop to at ranges out to 800+ yards.

Have gotten excellent accuracy with 150-grain .270 ABLR's, but as with many newer high-BC bullets, they "liked" being seated deeper.

You might also try JBM's stability program, which unlike others provides an input for plastic-tip length. The late Don Miller, the guy who developed the stability formula most programs are based on these days, eventually found that plastic tips were so light (and sharp) that they had little affect on bullet stability. The JBM program gives the 150 ABLR an SG of 1.375 even at "standard atmospheric conditions" of 59 F. at sea level in a 1-10 twist, which is more than enough to stabilize them. Around here, in typical hunting-season conditions, the SG is over 1.5.

The big reason even well-stabilized bullets tend to shoot larger groups at longer ranges is wind, which as I pointed out in another thread increases at about twice the rate of range.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
There’s a video, and I think it’s on You Tube, about some guys shooting pistol bullets into ice at an angle where the bullets bounce back out onto the ice. They keep spinning like crazy for a long time. It’s amazing how powerful that spin is.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Apparently you believe in the same misconception that many do--that bullets started to "destabilize" at longer ranges due to reduced velocity...

Just going by anecdotal data - from reloaders who have tried the bullet in otherwise precise 1:10" rifles for that bullet weight... and, as a group, can't get'em to shoot well.

... except from higher twist-rate Bbl's.

GR

Last edited by Garandimal; 05/04/22.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Haven't experienced that in at least three .270's--all factory rifles with 1-10 twists. But I did experiment some with seating depth, which I've found tends to help considerably with ABLRs in other calibers and weights.

For example, my custom 6.5 PRC regularly groups 5 handloads with 129 ABLRs into half an inch or less, even though it only weighs around 7-1/2 pounds scoped. But it didn't do that until I seated them about .1 inch off the lands.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Seen the same thing. .075 to .125 and they seem to run great. But then again in a few other 270’s nothing could make them shoot well. Life’s too short to dote on a single bullet anyhow.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I suspect a lot of it depends not only on the chamber throats in various rifles, but the particular batch of bullets.

By the way I just got done putting together the load data from the 15 .270 Winchesters I've handloaded for over the decades, for my upcoming LITTLE BOOK OF RIFLE HANDLOADS THAT WORK. It's a collection of handloads that have worked well in more rifles (or even most rifles) in a certain chambering, along with brief observations about the cartridges and loads. That's how I know the 150 ABLR has shot well in more than one rifle, along with the info on seating depth. We're planning on having the book out by early fall, but that always depends on variables, just like handloading!

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For sure. I’ve had a few rifles just balk at them and others be somewhat easy. Concentric rounds and all that haven’t mattered, they just wouldn’t do it. The next gun eats them alive. Same as the Interbonds and Sciroccos. When they work they make you smile. When they won’t they make you wanna buy Federal Blue Box.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by beretzs
For sure. I’ve had a few rifles just balk at them and others be somewhat easy. Concentric rounds and all that haven’t mattered, they just wouldn’t do it. The next gun eats them alive. Same as the Interbonds and Sciroccos. When they work they make you smile. When they won’t they make you wanna buy Federal Blue Box.

Yep!

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Would also add that I've encountered rifles that wouldn't shoot Bergers, but they've usually had extra-long throats--especially Weatherby Magnums, even though they'd shoot other bullets (in particular monolithics) very well. But one of the reasons many of us are compulsive experimenters is rifles are always "interesting"...

John Steinbeck
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Would also add that I've encountered rifles that wouldn't shoot Bergers, but they've usually had extra-long throats--especially Weatherby Magnums, even though they'd shoot other bullets (in particular monolithics) very well. But one of the reasons many of us are compulsive experimenters is rifles are always "interesting"...

That’s what I saw. My biggest frustration to date was a MK5 300 Wby and 210 ABLRs. I was ready to throw in the towel. Switched to Partitions and it thought it was a tuned 223.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks for the info! But am not surprised....

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
For a .270 that will be used in varied terrain and from deer to elk would you guys prefer a 22 or 24 inch barrel?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by dimecovers5
For a .270 that will be used in varied terrain and from deer to elk would you guys prefer a 22 or 24 inch barrel?

Never seen a problem with a 22” barrel on a 270 myself.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Apparently you believe in the same misconception that many do--that bullets started to "destabilize" at longer ranges due to reduced velocity...

Just going by anecdotal data - from reloaders who have tried the bullet in otherwise precise 1:10" rifles for that bullet weight... and, as a group, can't get'em to shoot well.

GR

I have the rifle that shoots a junk 277/130 btsp speer into. 6 for 5 shots and the 150 lrab into 2". Knowing this is a very accurate rifle, I contacted Nosler and spoke to the balasticians about the lrab.

I was told the lrab uses a different copper and it can have issues in rifles with sharp leades as it can "stall" or dwell in the throat as pressure increases from the burn event. If using slow powders, mag primers, short jumps and sharp bores.....it's all working against that bullet.

Like Mule Deer, I seated deeper and used a lee FC die and it was an instant change of over an inch.

Nosler mentioned using magpro powder as it tends to "self lubricate" according to the balistician I spoke with, or at least that's what I heard from his description.

I had initially thought my rifle would not stabilize the 150 based on groups, but all holes were dead round and so I turned to the rock bluff 1200 yards out and even though I was shooting 2" at 100 I was still very close to if not inside moa at the wall....which made me want to make this bullet work.

It can be a fickle beast, but does fly very well and the 3 I've sent into bulls did what they're supposed to.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

GR

I have the rifle that shoots a junk 277/130 btsp speer into. 6 for 5 shots and the 150 lrab into 2". Knowing this is a very accurate rifle, I contacted Nosler and spoke to the balasticians about the lrab.

I was told the lrab uses a different copper and it can have issues in rifles with sharp leades as it can "stall" or dwell in the throat as pressure increases from the burn event. If using slow powders, mag primers, short jumps and sharp bores.....it's all working against that bullet.

Like Mule Deer, I seated deeper and used a lee FC die and it was an instant change of over an inch.

Nosler mentioned using magpro powder as it tends to "self lubricate" according to the balistician I spoke with, or at least that's what I heard from his description.

I had initially thought my rifle would not stabilize the 150 based on groups, but all holes were dead round and so I turned to the rock bluff 1200 yards out and even though I was shooting 2" at 100 I was still very close to if not inside moa at the wall....which made me want to make this bullet work.

It can be a fickle beast, but does fly very well and the 3 I've sent into bulls did what they're supposed to.

I saw where you use a crimp, I also wonder if you couldn't increase neck tension a thou or so to get the same effect? Never thought of trying that in problem rifles when the ABLR isn't responding well.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tried increasing neck tension but ended up with seating inconsistencies.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I tried increasing neck tension but ended up with seating inconsistencies.

I was afraid of that. Makes sense.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Haven't experienced that in at least three .270's--all factory rifles with 1-10 twists. But I did experiment some with seating depth, which I've found tends to help considerably with ABLRs in other calibers and weights.

For example, my custom 6.5 PRC regularly groups 5 handloads with 129 ABLRs into half an inch or less, even though it only weighs around 7-1/2 pounds scoped. But it didn't do that until I seated them about .1 inch off the lands.

GR

Informative and encouraging.

Thanks y'all.

This is one bullet I really wanted in the bag for the .270 Win.

Look forward to the new book, JB.

GR

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dimecovers5

Unless you want max velocity from a full charge of slow powder...?

As the .270 Win. is already a high pressure cartridge, a 22" Bbl. works fine, and is a bit easier to handle in the field.

GR

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

200 members (673, 444afic, 5sdad, 10gaugemag, 41rem, 348srfun, 21 invisible), 1,573 guests, and 1,031 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,076
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.