Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Been hosting out of state Hunters/friends of recent and last week a friend from Arizona showed up to Hunt Ground Squirrels with "standard velocity round-nose" target ammo to try and shoot out of his Ruger heavy barrel 10/22.
I took just an hour to re-direct his misguided and somewhat inhumane goings on.
I took him to the local Murdoch's Hardware store and we perused what little 22 hollow-point ammo they had to offer.
We settled on him buying several boxes of somewhat pricey C.C.I. Velocitor hollow-point ammo that speeds the 40 grain H/P's along at 1,435 F.P.S.!
Well once back afield and resighted with this new ammunition his wounding of the Ground Squirrels ceased!
I mean this ammo was really whopping (humanely killing!) the early season adult only Gophers.
I was so impressed that I bought four boxes to try in my Ruger 10/22 Shilen barreled Gopher rig on the way home and tried them out yesterday.
I was impressed with MY results as well - I mean this ammo knocked the Ground Squirrels down and kept them there!
The cost was high in my opinion $8.99 for 50 (no sales tax in Montana) but the performance and apparent flat trajectory made me feel good/happy.
I haven't had the Velocitor ammo to my range as yet but it seemed rather accurate there afield - I had been shooting my Federal 36 grain hollow-points in my 10/22 and the additional velocity (and weight?) really was noticeable/welcome/worked great!
Rain and wind delay today.
Anyway anyone needing a VERY perky hollow-point Varmint and small game bullet then these may work well for you also.
Ooohh... and by the way - none of my visiting Varmint Hunters this year threw any of their guns in the creeks or lakes we passed by for the purpose of photographing them lying there IN those waters!
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While Velositors are not what anyone would consider target grade ammo, I have found them to be generally more than accurate enough for the intended purpose of their design. I haven’t found a rifle yet that wouldn’t shoot them decent. They definitely pack a better punch than most other rimfire.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have had particularly good results in my Colt Service Ace pistols shooting Velocitors. Sadly the very nice rimfire pistols underperform with cheap or bulk rimfire ammunition. It's been said that after an extensive, many thousands of shots, break in the Service Ace becomes more forgiving. Mine haven't reached that stage and at the price and sometimes availability of Velocitors may never.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well VarmintGuy, welcome to the party. Velocitors are the only round that I will bother to shoot in my Volquartsen barreled 10-22. Shoots one hole to one half inch at fifty yards with boring regularity.
AS far as price goes, I buy them all year long a couple boxes at a time. (it's called hoarding) until that fifty cal ammo can is stuffed.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I have a custom Ruger 10-22 with a Rem 40x barrel and match chamber, and I shoot the Velocitors. As most plated bullets, they will lead up the barrel after a while. I clean mine with a 22RF bronze bristle brush every 250 rounds or so...I can see the accuracy drop off for sure.

One thing for sure, the velocitors are very good killing bullets!

22 CCI mini mag HP are my main battle round.

Last edited by keith; 05/01/22.
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Velocitors are my go to hunting ammo in 22 RF.

NRA Patron
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My 10-22T stacks up Velocitors. The 3” steel tear drop target at 100 is easy peasy and my 6” square at 200 is equally as easy. I don’t shoot it for groups but would expect knots at 50

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Thanks for the feedback on those Velocitors, I'll have to give them a try. I'm hoping to try some new CCI Mini-mag Segmented HPs as well. I frequently use the subsonic segmented HPs and they work great on small game so I would think the CCI Mini-mag Segmented HPs will be more of a good thing and allow for me to extend my range quite a bit.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The velocitors are great, fast killing and shoot flat. In my guns they shoot into one hole at 25 yards but have not shot them further on paper, just on animals.

Have had similar good experiences with the CCI subsonic segmented. They flat out hammer stuff. Look forward to a report on the faster ones.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
VG
I used Velocitors in a very effective way on a hog hunt earlier this year. They’re a quality round that hits above their weight

See below

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/16953386/2022-hog-hunt-expedition

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Hunter4623: Thank you for directing me to your previously posted thread - I had not seen your wonderful write-up and photos until now!
Amazing is how I describe your Hunt and your write-up/photos.
Thanks
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
KenlGuy: I am headed back to Murdochs this morning to begin filling my "50 cal ammo box" with these Velocitors.
I can honestly say I have NEVER seen these Velocitors on a shelf until last week?
Maybe I have been mis-identifying them with other C.C.I. offerings previously when doing my shopping?
You only live once and shooting the piddly Federal bulk pack hollow-points at 1,200 F.P.S. is now second rate for me.
Kudos to the folks at C.C.I. for producing these perky, accurate (according to other posters here) and fast/flat shooting munitions.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't been able to get Velocitors to shoot in any of my .22s. Granted they are old lots I probably bought before 2010, but as a result I haven't tried newer ones.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Velocitors can be bought directly from CCI,.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Winchester/Browning offers a load that duplicates the Velocitors, and have a pretty blunt HP bullet, which adds to the mayhem, Like any rimfire ammo, it can be lot dependent. Some rifles won't like the Winchester/Browning loads, but they've done pretty well in some of my rifles. It might be worthwhile to try the W/B stuff as an alternative if you can't find the Velocitors .

I consider them to be pretty equivalent.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Ratsmacker: I have seen those "Browning" offerings on rare occasions as well - thanks for the update there.
I have been hosting Varmint Hunters all week again and am out the door soon today.
Did especially well with the "Velocitors" and my Remington 40-X Rifle yesterday (no wind - kills to 125+ yards!).
And again the lethality is top notch.
The local outlet is sold out now (I bought the last several boxes last night!) so maybe I will look into "buying directly from C.C.I. like the above CampFirer suggested.
Good job C.C.I.
More later.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Clark: Try fire lapping your barrel. Cheaper and a lot quicker than "many thousands of shots".

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have been having good luck with them in my 457 cz varminter.

Last edited by WyoCoyoteHunter; 05/05/22.

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good to know since I can't find Yellow Jackets or Stingers anymore

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I couldn't find and CCI velocitor ammo locally. But I did find CCI Stingers and the box says 1640fps. Hopefully my Christensen Arms 22 likes them. My Norma TAC ammo drops just over 4" from 50yd to 100yd.

Life is good live it while you can.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 79 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,694
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.