Hop To
#17223568 05/05/22
I
IA_fog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
I use to think i could raise a great garden and did. But the past couple years I haven’t been able to raise many big tomatoes, they get disease, and just never seem to ripen
They take forever to get going so,,,tell me your tips from transplanting to harvest.
No I haven’t soil tested but the garden is now in an old cattle holding pen/grazing area, black soil fairly well drained. My old garden a few years back was piss poor white clay dirt didn’t drain well but i could get buckets of tomatoes. I know the weather hasn’t been great these l;ast two years but dang. I can grow green beans, peppers, zucchini and cucumbers but have struggled with tomatoes for canning
Thanks

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Once the rust scale disease gets into he soil, you can't get rid of it and it will kill any tomatoes planted there.I don't know the right name for it, but the leaves will get a rust color to them and the plant dies.
I can't grow them here any more because if it, except in big pots on the deck with purchased potting soil. Not big loss because if the hail don't get them the deer will.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
I
IA_fog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
They rot before turning and i just can’t them to turn
We have had lots of rain and and 2 hail storms last summer and i know tomatoes like to be dry

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They don't necessarily like to be "dry" just require consistent moisture for better fruit....Lots of rain of course leaches nitrogen and essential minerals especially calcium to prevent blossom rot...A good balanced fertilizer not too high in Nitrogen will help as well as a calcium additive..Our local Coop has a generic product called Nutra Cal which we use along with compost...If rain is a continual problem I'd shallow trench plant for better drainage..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Till the ground thoroughly, fertilize well, perform tomato dance around plot by the light of a full moon, transplant the plants that you have had growing in the house under grow lights since early March, repeat tomato dance, this time under a cloudy night sky between 1 and 2 a.m., spend at least 30 minutes each day talking to the plants, get up in the middle of the night when you hear a rumble of thunder to cover plants with the little wooden shelters that you built last winter for that purpose, on days of full sun, hold umbrella over plants, during extended sunless spells move grow light set-up from house to garden, if really serious about getting some tomatoes before they rot, pick when the first hint of color appears among the green, watch leave develop spots, observe fruits develop splits and/or rot on the bottoms, say "t'ell wid it all" and go to local farmers' market and pay exorbitant price for some tomatoes because they are not only home-grown, but also organic.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Powdered milk is all you need dilute it once the vines start blooming

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 51 invisible), 2,728 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,195
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.