Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I have a garage that, away from the house, that has had the door left open on occasion. The last such occasion cost me about $1700 in tools. Still waiting to hear from the insurance company on the settlement. Is there a system, circuit, switch, whatever that will automatically close the door 3 minutes after it opens? No wifi, internet, magic space beams are available. Electricity is.

Any suggestions?

Scott

"What's the point of being retired if you can't climb trees and wash your feet in the creek?" - Teal
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes there are. There are so many variations I would have call my door guy and have him sort it out.
I thought about it myself. Im sometimes distracted leaving the house and sometimes I cant remember if I closed the door or not.
I live alone so theres no one to call back to to check it. Once
I got 6 hrs away on a 3 week trip and couldn't remember closing that door. I was able to call my neighbor and he reported it was closed. My garage is attached to the house so it the door is open someone can walk right in.

Last edited by Boarmaster123; 05/06/22.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are but it would be easy to build something yourself using a Delay Relay, it would be a fairly simple circuit.

Here's one.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Colorado14er
I have a garage that, away from the house, that has had the door left open on occasion. The last such occasion cost me about $1700 in tools. Still waiting to hear from the insurance company on the settlement. Is there a system, circuit, switch, whatever that will automatically close the door 3 minutes after it opens? No wifi, internet, magic space beams are available. Electricity is.

Any suggestions?

Scott

Post a link that doesn’t even come close to requirements of the OP. 🤣

System Requirements: a router with 2.4 gigahertz Wi-Fi frequency, router with 802.11 B/G/N, a router within 50 feet of the Smart Garage Control (more details in PDF user manual). Must have a sectional garage door. Product certified for use in US, CA and MX. Bluetooth makes setup easier than ever.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Look for something like this that works with your opener.

https://www.amazon.com/LIFTMASTER-O...r+to+Close&qid=1651839762&sr=8-7

This motion-detecting control panel turns on the garage door opener lights as soon as you walk in, so there's no more fumbling in the dark to get in the car or grab something from the garage., It is also equipped with timer-to-close to have the door automatically close after a pre-programmed number of minutes, making it easy when you unload your car and your hands are full., - Turns opener lights on/off from inside the garage- oversized illuminated push button makes it easy to close your garage door, even in the dark- equipped with a 150 sensing angle on/off switch for deactivation of motion-detecting function, -adjustable light timer lets you set when you want the opener lights to go out after closing or opening the garage door (pre-set at 4 1/2 minutes)-timer-to-close feature allows the door to automatically close after a pre-programmed number of minutes, - easily program remote controls and MyQ enabled accessories directly from the control panel- compatible only with LiftMaster security+2.0 garage door openers.

Swifty
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Look for something like this that works with your opener.

https://www.amazon.com/LIFTMASTER-O...r+to+Close&qid=1651839762&sr=8-7

This motion-detecting control panel turns on the garage door opener lights as soon as you walk in, so there's no more fumbling in the dark to get in the car or grab something from the garage., It is also equipped with timer-to-close to have the door automatically close after a pre-programmed number of minutes, making it easy when you unload your car and your hands are full., - Turns opener lights on/off from inside the garage- oversized illuminated push button makes it easy to close your garage door, even in the dark- equipped with a 150 sensing angle on/off switch for deactivation of motion-detecting function, -adjustable light timer lets you set when you want the opener lights to go out after closing or opening the garage door (pre-set at 4 1/2 minutes)-timer-to-close feature allows the door to automatically close after a pre-programmed number of minutes, - easily program remote controls and MyQ enabled accessories directly from the control panel- compatible only with LiftMaster security+2.0 garage door openers.

Correct. I have a lift master with this same panel and it does exactly what you want it to.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We've got a MyQ by Chamberlain, I believe. It does reply on wifi to let you know the door's status and open close it remotely. It also can be set to close at a certain time. I also think it has a "Timer to Close" feature, but I've never used it.

Carpe' Scrotum
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Only problem with having the door close after a set amount of time is closing when you don't want it to....working in the yard I would want it open all the time.....
I'am in the market of new garage doors and openers will be needing 2 and need to a lot of research before spending the money....have Chamberlains now they still work great after 20+ years....just need to move into the 21 century.....

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Just maybe you did not leave your garage door open.

While living in the Seattle area, our garage door would open at times. it appeared that someone else in the neighborhood had the same garage door code. I changed my code for our door and that solved the problem.

Also, in visiting with the local police I found out that there are devices that will open residential garage doors, it is like a scanner and they set a frequency and just drive down streets to see if a garage door opens. they drive in the drive way and look through the items you have.

another was is to have your alarm system set up so that it does not activate until the garage door is closed. I receive text messages if the garage door is open and we are not home.

Last item is to not leave the drive way until the garage door is closed. you can hit the close button and if a dog or cat crosses the beam the door will open. This is our standard operating procedure at our house.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by coyotewacker
Only problem with having the door close after a set amount of time is closing when you don't want it to....working in the yard I would want it open all the time.....
I'am in the market of new garage doors and openers will be needing 2 and need to a lot of research before spending the money....have Chamberlains now they still work great after 20+ years....just need to move into the 21 century.....

Easy easy, press and hold 2 buttons to suspend TTC or shut off TTC when needed, when not, press and hold 2 buttons to reactivate.

Swifty
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks for the replys. I will look into those controllers.

Kinda scary that someone could scan the code like that.

"What's the point of being retired if you can't climb trees and wash your feet in the creek?" - Teal
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Can be funny too. My FIL in Miles City had (30 some years ago) an alley-entry garage, as did several neighbors, all apparently on the same code. Fun to see 4 garage doors opening at once after you push the button.

They got it sorted out.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had customers who had their garage doors opened by the drive by scanners and they were scared out of their wits a couple times. Lucky, none of them got robbed but they did catch people driving up the street and starting to turn into their driveways a few times. About the best advice I could give them is once the door is closed the only sure fire way to avoid it being opened by scanners is to shut off the power to the garage door operator motor until you need it again. In most cases this also shuts down the control unit, but not always. This is what I always recommended to my customers who would be gone for longer periods and I sometimes would install a switch at a convenient location so they didn't have to go to the electrical panel every time.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
We have these on our two house garage doors and they will work with the Genie door openers. Our detached garage has a Chamberlain opener with wifi built in. Chamberlain customer support is excellent. The less expensive white ones weren't available when we bought ours. Well worth the money.

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Garage-Opener-Chamberlain-MYQ-G0301/dp/B075H7Z5L8?th=1

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
We have these on our two house garage doors and they will work with the Genie door openers. Our detached garage has a Chamberlain opener with wifi built in. Chamberlain customer support is excellent. The less expensive white ones weren't available when we bought ours. Well worth the money.

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Garage-Opener-Chamberlain-MYQ-G0301/dp/B075H7Z5L8?th=1

Specs for hub= The requirements needed to start - a router with 2.4 gigahertz Wi-Fi frequency, router with 802.11 B/G/N, a router within 50 feet of the myQ Smart Garage Hub (more details in PDF user manual)

No WiFi router or internet kinda leaves out the first requirement.

Swifty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 3,019 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,313
Posts18,526,306
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.