Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by centershot
I have been down the Red Dot road also. I have a Burris FF3 on my 686. They work, but sure take some getting used to..........at least in the way they look on a revolver. Not sure I could take a Red Dot on a Single Action. lol
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Correct on all counts! I have one on my S&W 460…..it does take a bit of use to get proficient with getting quickly on target! But, from a rest I can occasionally get sub 3” groups @ 100 yards…….way, way better than I was getting with open sights! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by centershot
I recently picked up a Ruger Blackhawk 3 Screw 357. When I took it out I was shocked at how much my eyes had changed from the last time I was shooting an open sighted handgun.......and not for the better. Anyone have any tricks to help clean up the sight picture? My vision is still good at distance but up close things get blurry without 1.25 readers.

If it's simple presbyopia aka "old eyes", one of those apertures would probably be your best bet, at least the cheapest and easiest solution to try first. They work like the F stop on a camera and basically increase your depth of focus.

Presbyopia here as well, I got a Merit optical disc and use it on non-prescription shooting glasses since it can be moved around easily or swung out of the way but they are certainly more expensive than tape or any other stick on solution.

Glasses might work depending on your eyes, I tried a couple of solutions but none of them let me see the sights and the target in clear focus, it was one or the other. If you go that route it's far better to see the sights in clear focus since sight alignment is critical in handguns, if the target is slightly blurry you can still aim at the center of the blur and hit it.

Red dots are obviously good but even then if someone has an astigmatism that little dot in the sight will look like it has a tail or some oddity. I finally had some glasses made up that only correct my astigmatism and are focused at infinity like the dot sights. A side benefit is that the same glasses work well with scope sights so I don't have to keep switching glasses when going from a scoped rifle to a red dot on a rifle or handgun.

My ultimate solution was new Bausch and Lomb eyes but that's probably not a viable solution here. wink Had cataracts removed in both eyes last year and the B&L replacement lenses are set for "far" vision which means anything much past 28". Sights on handguns are still slightly blurry but lots better than they were and the front sights on rifles are sharp and clear so peep sights work great again. Anyway, handgun sights are clear enough to hit cans or steel or whatnot accurately enough. But when I want to really wring out a new load I still need the Merit disc on shooting glasses since it lets me see both the sights and the target 25 yards away in sharp focus.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Here's a handgun that'll put the front sight out there a ways....lol,

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by longarm
Originally Posted by RickBin
I have a set of Rx “computer” glasses that work great. Found another use for them.

Rick,
What are these pyooter glasses you speak of?

I have a pair of computer glasses.

Just like reading glasses but the focal length is closer to 30 inches than 14 to 16 inches as is typical of reading glasses. Your optometrist can adjust the focal length to whatever you wish.

I do not use mine for shooting as it leaves the target very unfocused for me. I use progressives or straight distance vision glasses for shooting.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by Creeker
Open the rear sight blade with a file till the fuzz disappears.

Yep. Either that or learn to only focus on the target. Or just the front sight.
The main reason people go to RDS is because they never learned how to use iron sights.
Imho of course.

LOL

Originally Posted by CashisKing
Hey Rod... welcome to the fire.
April 2022.
You speak with great confidence and authority.
Thanks for your honesty...
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have 69 year old eyes, and discovered that shorter barrels work better for MY eyes.

That and aiming with just the front sight and ignoring the back sight.

Virgil B.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
I have 69 year old eyes, and discovered that shorter barrels work better for MY eyes.

That and aiming with just the front sight and ignoring the back sight.

Virgil B.

Bingo!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had cataract surgery at 42, brought on by prednisone. Boy was I pissed after I discovered I couldn't focus on pistol sights like I used to. Can still shoot em, but takes longer to line everything up. In really good lighting it's a piece of cake, but a little dim lighting and I'm point shooting

Romans 5:1
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Use a Merit Optical Attachment disc / aperature. Sharpens up the sights tremendously.

http://meritcorporation.com

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Just had cataract surgery, amazing to see again.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Walmart carries some stick on lenses that are about the size of the bifocal section of prescription glass.You put a drop of water on them and stick them on you shooting glasses whichever eye you use.They come off easy if need be. You can put them higher than a bifocal would be.

Start with 1:25's or 1;50's . Not as much as your reading glass prescription. Just enough to sharpen you sights and the target gets bit blurry. About $7

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/08/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Aging eyes turn you into a "Front Sight Only" shooter, believe me. I ONLY see the front sight, and it's for the better.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
If you wear bifocals use the reader part of the lens. That gives pretty good focus on the sights although the target will be blurry. That works for me out to 25 yards or so.
Computer glasses work well too.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by lc11
Aging eyes turn you into a "Front Sight Only" shooter, believe me. I ONLY see the front sight, and it's for the better.
Yep.
Few new shooters understand that - probably why RDS are popular.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by buttstock
Use a Merit Optical Attachment disc / aperature. Sharpens up the sights tremendously.

http://meritcorporation.com

Yep, THIS^^^^^

It just works....

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I just read this. I have no idea if it works, or will even help many of us. But, it is FDA approved, of course the “Rona” shot is medically approved.

Anyway, thought I’d share! memtb

https://www.newsbreakapp.com/n/0fjxWXY3?pd=01rIQkl8&lang=en_US&s=i4

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m in my seventies. I have cataracts. I have far vision. I had West Nile and my left side was paralyzed for a few months. When I regained control of my left side, they took the eye patch off. My eyes don’t line up vertically from that day on.
I have safety glasses prescribed by my eye doctor that corrects for the miss-alignment. The glasses also have continuous bifocals (I think that’s what it’s called).
With those glasses I can still shoot quite well with open sights. Almost all my lever guns and a few bolt guns gave iron sights as do all but one pistol.
I don’t think I’d be good with pistol shooting w/o these glasses.
My brother and a sister-in-law had their eyes operated on and they can now see near and far w/o glasses. I would need glasses due to my vertical alignment issue, so I’m not doing the surgery. Besides I like having safety glasses on for my hobbies.
My suggestion is get these type of glasses or eye surgery.

Last edited by Bugger; 05/20/22.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I don’t recall the company name
But I bought shooting glasses with the corrective lense in the top of the glasses instead of the bottom

So when you are getting ready to shoot you look straight on
When I shoot I tilt my head down a bit it seems to help quite a bit

Very happy with these

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I just bumped my previous thread that talked about the "One Hole" ghost ring sight that made a big difference for me......here are the pics:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][/quote]

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I went thru this journey a few years back. First I tried a stick on lens at the top of my glasses on my dominant eye and that worked. It worked well enough that I had a pair of readers made with R eye correction and Left eye clear. (Cheap at readingglasses.com). I shot one of my best matches shortly after that. The front sight was exquisitely clear and made me realize how bad things had gotten. The only problem was I am super right eye dominant and my left eye basically shuts off so the targets were fuzzy. So super crisp front sight but blurry target is ok, but certainly not for concealed carry.

I shot a 3 gun match using these glasses and on a prone firing stage my rifle kicked up a lot of dust. It was east to adjust the scope to the glasses beforehand but the unrecognized problem was that the dust I kicked up was now all in focus and I could not see any semblance of the distant target. Remember left eye shuts off.

After that I switched to left eye correction and right eye was clear. I discovered the left eye added some visibility of the front FO for matches which made it ok for a while.

Finally I gave in to red dots.

Last edited by supercrewd; 05/22/22.

NRA Life Member
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,074
Posts18,482,669
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.