Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Between CCI 41 & CCI 450 primers, which would you rather use?

Besides the obvious answer of "Whichever one I could find"

I have all LR primer brass for the 'man bun' as my boys call it, but pondering a shift to Lapua or other high quality brass when I can.

Who else makes SR primer brassthat you recommend?

Lapua, Peterson, Alpha, ???

Thanks much

HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been shooting Federal 205M with great success in Lapua SR cases. These are supposed to be a magnum brisance level. Have shot just a little CCI 41. No big difference.
Have not had any CCI 450, but just got two bricks from Brownell's yesterday so will try them too.
Lapua cases are $106 at E. Arthur Brown as of today.
Good luck
Rex

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've loaded up what I call some accurate 6.5 CM loads. I'm using Hornady cases, which are LR primer cases. I've used CCI 400's, Remington 9 1/2's, and am currently using Federal 210M's. I give a slight edge, very slight at that, to the Federals.

I have some small primer Federal cases that I've never tried, and if I do, I'd use Remington 7 1/2 primers. If I was competition shooting I would probably worry more about components than I do.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by burt2506
Between CCI 41 & CCI 450 primers, which would you rather use?

Besides the obvious answer of "Whichever one I could find"

I have all LR primer brass for the 'man bun' as my boys call it, but pondering a shift to Lapua or other high quality brass when I can.

Who else makes SR primer brassthat you recommend?

Lapua, Peterson, Alpha, ???

Thanks much

Starline

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I use Lapua brass with 450's but have great accuracy with Starline and 210's also.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Would someone explain why small rifle primers? what's the purpose? over large rifle primers? Rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One theory is that as long as the primer has enough brisance to reliably ignite the powder column, no more is needed, and excess tends to promote a higher ES/SD.
One of the reasons the Russian primers became popular with some competitive shooters awhile back was because of their lower comparative brisance.
Another way of saying this is you want the primer to have as little influence on the pressure generated as possible.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
The main idea that I have is that I have 2k 450 primers (thanks Brownells) and I found 500 of the CCI 41 in my large pistol primer can.

For a second opinion, I believe that maybe some SR brass might be a good call.

NVhntr, thanks for the reminder of Starline....

I bought some SIG ,243 brass before all the stupid that has been good. Might look that way as well.

Thanks all

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
OTOH my research indicated that LR primers were preferred for hunting if the possibility of low temps were a possibility so since I plan on using mine for hunting and not target shooting I went with LR.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by RIO7
Would someone explain why small rifle primers? what's the purpose? over large rifle primers? Rio7

In addition to what NVhntr said, the SRP brass has a little more material in the case head, theoretically allowing it to take higher pressures. I shot a 6.5x47 Lapua for a while and it does seem to make a difference. In the end, I decided to go with LRPs after reading too many accounts by credible sources of ignition problems in extreme cold weather.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hunter not target shooter and to keep things as simple as possible I go with LRP's.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I was given a box of Lapua 6mm Creed brass, small primer, a friend me gave some small rifle primers, Do I start with the same amount of powder i know works with LRP? or do start all over and build a whole new load? I know I can figure this out on my own but it never hurts to get some advice from someone that knows, by the way I hate Lapua brass for hunting, I never come back with as much as I left with, the other not so wonderful brass, ain't hard to find in the field but Lapua, runs away never to be seen again. Rio7

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've never had any issues using SRP in 6.5 or 6 CM, of course I live in TN where the weather is mild.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Not target shooting, just hunting.

Might just keep my eyes open on the brass...if I find a good deal I might do a test set with SR & LR to see what is what.

But I figure I will hunt with the LR brass. Probably won't make a difference in my AO.

Thanks all.....burt2506

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
burt, buy yourself an AR and use those sr primers in that. Save your large rifle primers for your creed. You don't need small rifle primed 6.5 creedmoor brass. I know I don't, even though I'm a competitive shooter and hunter. You say you are a hunter, so large rifle primers make more sense. Especially if you are hunting in extreme cold temps. The large rifle primers work well enough...:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I keep 308 & 6.5 Creed SRP on hand…just incase I run out of LR primers. Just sayin.

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 05/10/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Originally Posted by RIO7

In addition to what NVhntr said, the SRP brass has a little more material in the case head, theoretically allowing it to take higher pressures. I shot a 6.5x47 Lapua for a while and it does seem to make a difference. In the end, I decided to go with LRPs after reading too many accounts by credible sources of ignition problems in extreme cold weather.

John

I've been loading the Rem 7 1/2 in my 6.5x47 but the weather has not been too cold yet. I just bought 1000 CCI 450s and will switch to them when I shoot off the Rem loads. Over here I often hunt on mornings at or below 0 degrees celsius, not F. I guess the small magnum primers are insurance with 41+ grains of 2209 (H4350) powder and very cold weather. I will work up loads again when switching primers.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Guys, thanks for the replies & advice. Probably be a good idea to have a back up plan for the creed, so I will try some SR primer brass .

Bsa, way way ahead of you in that regard.

I can use the 450s in my .17 so I have a back up plan for my back up plan.

Burt2506

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (222ND, 25aught6, 10Glocks, 160user, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 65 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,375
Posts18,527,466
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.