-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Fixing to move at the end of the summer. Debating selling, renting, or maybe an AirBNB.

Have zero experience with AirBNB. How has it worked out for you?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I don't think that I'd do ABnB unless I was close enough to keep an eye on the property.

The house next to our rental in Tenn used to be on ABnB, was constantly a problem for the neighbors[parties, etc].

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I’ll be 3k miles away!

Kinda makes me nervous to rent or Airbnb it but the cash flow would be nice.
Playing with the Airbnb app it shows impressive figures as to average occupancy for the month and average rates in the area. You can even link the ABNB calendar to local cleaning services for automatic scheduled cleanings.

I wonder about liability? Get a separate policy?

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
VRBO > AirBnB.

Ive been a VRBO host for 5 years. I think very little of VRBO. They're run by millennials and totally focused on the guests, forgetting completely that without people like me, they'd have nothing to sell. Unable to get in touch with them, talk to a real person. Just a fairly badly run entity in my experience. We find fantastic guests through them however and create great experiences for them and it all works out in spite of VRBO and their employees.

And VRBO is still better than being with AirBnB. I did AirBnB for one month and would never ever do business with them again. I understand almost nothing of our world the same way they do.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
We rent ours solely by word of mouth, but are only 3 hours away and have enough locals that we know to carry it.
Folks make ABnB work-that was just our experience. You may do fine with it.
[maybe this one house got a rep as a 'good party house' IDK, it was mostly younguns causing the problems.
From what we've seen local vacation rental management companies aren't much better.

You have to have 'overnight rental' coverage on insurance.

FJB & FJT
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Hahahahaha!

No.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Casa De Conrad would be a destination! Folks would pay double just to tend to the chores. Advertise it as a “Dude Ranch”!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I’ll be 3k miles away!

Kinda makes me nervous to rent or Airbnb it but the cash flow would be nice.
Playing with the Airbnb app it shows impressive figures as to average occupancy for the month and average rates in the area. You can even link the ABNB calendar to local cleaning services for automatic scheduled cleanings.

I wonder about liability? Get a separate policy?

Airbnb contracts include a $1M insurance policy.

Timeliness of turnover cleaning and linen change out becomes a huge issue if your unit is busy and your not there to do it yourself.

I did 5 of my rental units as vacation rentals for few years.
When I decided to sell and ran the numbers from our books for those years it was the same money I'd have made on a year to year rental minus dealing with the continual cleaning and what not.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Casa De Conrad would be a destination! Folks would pay double just to tend to the chores. Advertise it as a “Dude Ranch”!

Get that deep south ambiance without all the inbreeding.

I am MAGA.
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I know you're looking for experience and not opinion, but 3000 miles away? Sounds like you'd do better putting your funds into a money market.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Inbreeding IS the Deep South ambiance😂

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Not the question that you asked, but if it is in a decent area, I would engage a property manager and lease it out.
Wedid that for 10 years.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Fixing to move at the end of the summer. Debating selling, renting, or maybe an AirBNB.

Have zero experience with AirBNB. How has it worked out for you?

If you rent out your current home as an AirBnB or similar, after a period of time the sale of the property will then become subject to capital gains tax. If you sell it when you move you will have the primary residence exemption. Timelines and exemption levels will need to be researched. Capital gains on the sale of that house are going to cost me something like $50k when I file my 2022 return.

I had a rental in Parkland near 112th and Pacific. Obviously that area can be sketchy. I had a good run and made some money but used a property manager when in Virginia or overseas. I still had to ask for family and friend assistance from time to time. It was a good run of a few years with only one burglary attempt until it just went downhill fast.

At the end, the local squatters, drunks and/or tweekers had to be forcibly removed at gunpoint (multiple times) by family that lives near by as the Pierce County Sheriff could hardly be bothered to show up. Once "they" figure out that that no one lives in the house full time and the cops wont even respond to the monitored alarm system... the flood gates open. When I went to sell the house a couple months back, I had three break-ins in three weeks that cost me a good chunk of cash to repair and clean up.

I wouldn't do it again unless I lived within close proximity to the house. I went through a few different property managers too. Most of them are as flaky, lazy and money hungry as one would expect.

Not withstanding the local laws that would "protect" said vagrants or offenders as apparently they have rights to move into and destroy your home. God forbid they change the locks or get a single piece of mail delivered to your address in their name... the time involved and the legal fees to get them removed would be costly.

The market is good. Sell the house, avoid the headache and capital gains.

Semper Fi

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Are you crazy. Hell no

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Parkland can definitely be sketchy. That whole area, and Tacoma as a whole, have taken a nose dive recently.

People don’t give a fugg anymore. Folks stealing schit in broad daylight.

Tacompton Files on Facebook is hilarious.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My wife and I have been renting AirBnb's & Home Away's etc for 5 years now, and we were really pleased with all of them. All that we went to had a host or owner nearby, and they welcomed us and were really nice. One of the owners on Hauser Lake, lived next door and after visiting with he and his wife took off for the 4 days.
Most of them have a cleaning deposit paid up front and return it after you check out. Most of the places we rented were nicer than any home I had ever lived in.
But, I doubt that I would rent one that I owned-----I would really worry while they were rented.
These homes were all lived in and part of the year by the owners and you treat it like home! Unless of course you're a sleazeball.

Last edited by kennymauser; 05/10/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We needed one in Sumner, WA a few months ago. The only thing available was $140/night and their big draw was that the neighbors had some alpacas that you could watch out the window. I have llamas and alpacas don't excite me. Luckily, our function got postpones and we didn't need to rent it after all.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,447
Posts18,489,641
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.