Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I would like to purchase a FFP scope for my .264 win mag. I have never owned a FFP but I can see the advantage of the not having to have the scope set on one particular power for the reticle to be accurate at longer ranges.

It seems that most FFP scopes use some variation of a Christmas tree reticle, but I have looked through those and they are almost invisible at lower powers. This scope will be on a whitetail gun with shots from 500 to as close as 25 yards. We hunt till dark here in SC and so I need crosshairs I can see. I realize many of the Christmas tree reticles can be illuminated, but they are still extremely thin.

I have a Leupold VX6 with a fire dot that is fabulous in low light ( you can turn it very dim so that it not blind you or block out a portion of the target. Something like that on a FFP scope would probably work for me.

Please give me your suggestions.

Dan

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
https://cameralandny.com/shop/athlo...0e196?variation=2891674&query=athlon

This has one of the thicker ffp reticles I’ve seen.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Bushnell LRSH2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Another vote for the Bushie LRHS. Good all around big game hunting reticle. The "doughnut" gives it great low X visibility, and at higher X the reticle has everything you need without appearing too busy. It also comes in a reliable dialing, rugged scope.

I have the LRHS in both lit and non lit iterations. I prefer it non lit. The characteristics of this particular reticle make it such that there's a lot of reticle to light, which I find to be too much, even on low setting. However, the characteristics of the reticle and the image quality are such that they're plenty visible in most all legal hunting hours light conditions without being lit.

Better still would be if they'd just light the center of the reticle only, such as NF does on some models, as does Meopta, as well as others.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks for the responses.

Rickshaw- does that reticle come in any scoped powered above 10x? I looked on the Athlon web page and it seemed at all of the higher powered scopes has Christmas tree reticles.

Where could I find one of the Bushnell scope that have been mentioned. Weren’t those the models that were mentioned - hadn’t that model been discontinued?

Dan

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
Thanks for the responses.

Rickshaw- does that reticle come in any scoped powered above 10x? I looked on the Athlon web page and it seemed at all of the higher powered scopes has Christmas tree reticles.

Where could I find one of the Bushnell scope that have been mentioned. Weren’t those the models that were mentioned - hadn’t that model been discontinued?

Dan

https://www.gaprecision.net/bushnell-lrhs-2-4-5-18-x-44-g2h-reticle.html

Or used market.

I prefer the 3-12's, but those have, unfortunately, been discontinued.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's many great options, as a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it is our pleasure to assist in discussing different options and opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have a few moments

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For a long range hunting scope, the Tangent Theta LRH is as good as it gets. The G2H in the LRHS is excellent, as already mentioned, and what I use most.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Are you sure you really even need an FFP reticle?

I have several FFP scopes myself, but think they are completely useless on most hunting setups. As you have figured out, most of them almost completely disappear at lower power ranges (and a lot of the options are simply too cluttered). Personally, for ranges out to 500 yards with a .264 Win Mag, I'd get a simple hash style reticle and learn hold overs. Surely if you are going to be risking 300+ yard shots on game, you'll be doing it at known distances...with that information, holdovers (or even dialing up elevation) is a snap.

Of course, I'm curious who even offers an illuminated SFP optic now with a simple reticle. I'm fond of Nightforce, their reticle options aren't too cluttered in a SFP scope.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Jason280

I have several FFP scopes myself, but think they are completely useless on most hunting setups. As you have figured out, most of them almost completely disappear at lower power ranges (and a lot of the options are simply too cluttered). Personally, for ranges out to 500 yards with a .264 Win Mag, I'd get a simple hash style reticle and learn hold overs. Surely if you are going to be risking 300+ yard shots on game, you'll be doing it at known distances...with that information, holdovers (or even dialing up elevation) is a snap.

Of course, I'm curious who even offers an illuminated SFP optic now with a simple reticle. I'm fond of Nightforce, their reticle options aren't too cluttered in a SFP scope.

Jason:

There's FFP reticles that offer great low X, dim light visibility: Bushie LRHS G2H, Meopta Optika 6 Mrad, March FML-TR1H, and others. The MQ in SWFA 3-9 and 6X is usable throughout the X range.

I also run a few NF 3-10 SHV with SFP MOAR and they can get the job done, too.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
tag

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Of course, I'm curious who even offers an illuminated SFP optic now with a simple reticle.

I'm a big fan of the Vortex Razor LHT 3-15. Just a small red dot in the middle when illuminated. Non-cluttered reticle with hashes on the vertical below the crosshair and the whole top half empty. Reticle subtends on 15x, which I'll be on if I'm dialing anyway.

They do make a 4-20 in FFP too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Dave7 and others. Thanks for the link and the suggestions.

The main reason I am looking for a FFP is that I want my subtention lines to be accurate at every power, not just max power.

I have 8 power binoculars designed for low light. I do not want to carry two pair of binoculars.
They are not the best at identifying antler width at 400-500 yards.

I was hoping to pick up a new scope that had a top end of 16 or 20 so when I want to take a look at a deer way out there I can do so and I didn’t want to be bothered with having yo know exactly what power I was on at all times do the subtentions would be accurate.

Dan

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

I have a the Trijicon Cred 3-9X40 Mil Square. It has .05Mil thick reticle and is available in red or green illumination. The mil hashes are only accurate at 9X and it isn't cluttered. So far the reticle matches the "clicks". I sighted in my rifle on Sunday and I was able to measure the difference between the POA/POI with the reticle at 9X and move the reticle the required number of clicks to get the rounds on target.

Credo 3-9

An FFP scope would definitely be better for ranging/holdovers but the Credo is noticeably lighter than the FFP scope I had (17 vs 25oz) which made a difference for me. If I ever get to the point that I am certain that the scope is holding me back, I will find something else.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like you’d do well to order the LRHS2 from GAP.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (Armednfree, 7887mm08, ar33c9, 300_savage, 35, 10 invisible), 1,404 guests, and 886 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,208
Posts18,503,885
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.